• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What would you choose

Gayowulf

G-d
NLC
What would you choose?

As you may have gathered by now, i am having a computer made for me. While most of the decisions on hardware are made by me, the ones I cant make are made by the guy building the computer.

I'm having trouble deciding between an AMD xp of some sort or a P4 Northwood that I can overclock

If i choose to go the XP route, I still won't be able to decide between 1700+ or 1800+ or 1900+ or 2000+

My budget will dictate some of that, but I still need some help

I won't be doing a lot of gaming, but I will be doing a fair amount of photoshop stuff, Movie editing, sound recording, and word processing.

Thanks for any input. Motherboard suggestions would be cool too.

Last edited:
From what i've read.. P4s are good at overclocking, giving you very high numbers... (even though i dont own one)

P4s also do very well in sound and video encoding...
motherboard? no idea :( sorry

i personally would go with a P4 in your situation...

oh and by the way... go with DDR Ram, b/c the new P4 motherboards coming out are awesome :D !

um... that's all i can really say....

(on a personal note, i have a XP1700+, which i overclocked
:rolleyes:, and the only reason i got it was for gaming and the fact that i'm a cheap a*s:D )

good luck!

According to your needs I think P4 is the best,and no other processor can do fastest work in graphics other than P4's.Although AMD is cheap but it is mostly suitable for word processing ,spreadsheet etc.but sound movies graphics use a lot of chip resources So go for optimum speed.
As far as overlocking is concerned AMD chips are bad,P4's can be overlocked to much speed than AMD.If you are searching for good overlocking chip Intel Celeron is the most suitable choice and you can overlock it to double the original,but it is really slower than both.
My info about motherboard's is not very good but choose one which give you more USB ports and do not go for onboard video or sound unless you are on very tight budget as you have to work on videos etc.

Originally posted by nag

As far as overlocking is concerned AMD chips are bad,P4's can be overlocked to much speed than AMD.If you are searching for good overlocking chip Intel Celeron is the most suitable choice and you can overlock it to double the original,but it is really slower than both.
Not if you use 1.8GHz Celeron I believe. It uses 0.18 microns and is equal to the chip used to make the 1.8GHz Pentium 4 so probably you could only get up to 2.2GHz on the celeron, and celeron doesn't really work well unless you're not a heavy gaming user.

Originally posted by trenzterra
It uses 0.18 microns and is equal to the chip used to make the 1.8GHz Pentium 4
P4's are based on 0.13 micron chips, not 0.18.

You can OC a Celery a lot, but the performance still isn't there. I would definately not recommend them.

My recommendations:

P4:
1.8a Northy
Asus P4s533

AMD:
Athlon XP 1800+
Abit KX7-333

Depending on which route you take, either of those would be great setups. They are both great overclocking boards and have lots of features, good performance and stability.

Thanks.

That motherboard costs quite a bit. What are some advantages of going with the mobo you mentioned instead of one that costs less.

What about DDR RAM? What would be a good brand with decent pricing?

Originally posted by Bruce

P4's are based on 0.13 micron chips, not 0.18.
P4 northwoods have 0.13 transistor size. The older P4 willamette uses 0.18...

Back