• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What works better? Banner ads or text links?

Which works better to generate revenue?

• Banner ads

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Text links

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
The answer is that it depends on many things.
For selling products text is usually better, partly because with text you don't feel as inclined to just plop it at the top like a banner. Text ads are usually contextually placed on specific pages. Text ads don't usually interfere with normal banner ad revenue.

But as far as drawing clicks as an advertiser trying to get as many clicks as possible then perhaps banners like punch the monkey outperform text. Of course if one could page specific place a text ad then text will always beat banners in eliciting clicks as a blind enter text link will generate lots of clicks. But that is a different type of advertising.

Thx for the imput. :) The reason why I'm asking this question is I'm wondering whether or not I should just eliminate banners altogether on my site and opt for text links instead.

Text links are more work as they are seldom CPM based. So if you use text links you will be deciding on things to promote and how to place them.

A good cpm banner from a nice network at the top is so little work to mantain. But this sort of thing is available for few sites and usually the CPM is not so nice.

It depends on what your trying to do. Top banner ads are pretty effective for me if I target them right. Text links are generally better for selling stuff though. I put doesn't matter since I use both.

Nothing beats a targeted text link. If you can work it in so that it looks like content rather than looking like an ad, you can get very large click through rates and conversion rates.

Text links come across more like giving your personal endorsement of a site or product, while banners are just background advertising that comes across as not so connected to you or your site.

If it's untargeted... I don't know, it probably doesn't matter.

Back