• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what the hell happend to Lycos.co.uk?!

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I agree with Moonman. Few surfers will ever leave your site if it has a huge ad-frame. After all, your information is still readily accessible, and the ad-frame is not blocking any content. However, pop-ups are what drive visitors away, as people actually have to bother closing them to get to the core of your site! Even pop-unders are annoying, even though they're not in the way! Having just 2 pop-ups per page can cut your visitor base in half, while having a big ad-frame might make you lose a few visitors every month. I just don't get why webmasters continue to prefer the dreaded pop-ups.

because that a big nasty white and ugly ad that take more than 1\4 of my site!
dude thats sux!
i much prefer banner or popups that don't make my site look ugly

Originally posted by MachineGunMan
because that a big nasty white and ugly ad that take more than 1\4 of my site!
dude thats sux!
i much prefer banner or popups that don't make my site look ugly
That's what you prefer as a webmaster because naturally, we webmasters only care for the look of our site. However, your users will prefer this big ad-frame because it doesn't detract from the usability of your website and the accessibility of the content, as pop-ups would.

yea dude thats what i prefer...
As conker said, you might, i know from a webmaster view, i too would prefer a popup. But think about your visitors, if on every page they went to, it had an annoying popup, im sure that after 2 of them they would leave. Of course you wouldn't, because it is your site, and you would want to see what has been done to it. Now with this new ad, your visitors dont have to close anything to see your site, it makes it quicker and easier for them, so i am sure they would stay longer, a lot longer. I know when i go to a site which has popups i almost leave instantly. But if it had a frame like this, i would first go "eugh, what and ugly ad" but then i would realise that it is for the host, and that it was better than a popup, because it does not interfere with my surfing, therefore keeping me at your site for longer.

Do you see where i am coming from?

Originally posted by Moonman
As conker said, you might, i know from a webmaster view, i too would prefer a popup. But think about your visitors, if on every page they went to, it had an annoying popup, im sure that after 2 of them they would leave. Of course you wouldn't, because it is your site, and you would want to see what has been done to it. Now with this new ad, your visitors dont have to close anything to see your site, it makes it quicker and easier for them, so i am sure they would stay longer, a lot longer. I know when i go to a site which has popups i almost leave instantly. But if it had a frame like this, i would first go "eugh, what and ugly ad" but then i would realise that it is for the host, and that it was better than a popup, because it does not interfere with my surfing, therefore keeping me at your site for longer.

Do you see where i am coming from?

no no.
thats what webmasters whould say
most people that will see this big ad will say: "dude this ad sux and it's ugly thats ----ed up i don't wanna look at that"

you see?:rolleyes:

no no.
thats what webmasters whould say
most people that will see this big ad will say: "dude this ad sux and it's ugly thats ----ed up i don't wanna look at that"

you see?:rolleyes:
No because you see, from what i have determined, you are a webmaster.
You are the one saying they ad is gay.
You are the one saying you like popups better.

I am a user of your site, i say, being a user, i like the frame better than the other ads tripod used to have.

You = Webmaster = One Complaining
Me = Visitor = Likes The Ad.

Personally as a user i like popups. ( Good ol Mozilla blocks em all ).

I hate the frame, but there is a remedy for that as well. Get my mozilla to close the frame, and stop it from every loading again =).

All im going to say is that I absolutly HATE pop-ups. Most of the time a few pop-ups freezes up internet explorer for me and I have to close explorer.exe to get it back. And my computer is decent (1.8ghz/256mb).

But speaking as a webmaster I hate that ad-frame. It's horrible and for users it discracts the attention from the website content to the ad-frame because the page bgcolor is black and the ad is usually white (which isn't too nice on the eyes either btw) I think it's a big mistake by lycos (tripod whatever) and I think they need to use banners again. Banners (constructive ones) don't usually take the attention away from the site and they arn't as lethal. But sometimes banners ruin the layout or design of the website and can be anonying to webmasters when they are designing the site.

I still think movable banners is the way to go for all ads and webmasters. Pop-ups/behinds, consoles, and ad-frames are just horrible for everyone and no one ever clicks on them. Go banners go! :chinese2:

Originally posted by Ryan_man

I still think movable banners is the way to go for all ads and webmasters. :
But the problem is that nobody really clicks on banners either, and they have a low payout (usually around 3 to 4 cents per click, which amounts to a whopping $30-40 if you manage to get 1,000 clicks -- and that's only if you get that many). In fact, I would bet that fewer people click on banners than the ad-frames and pop-ups because banners are usually so inconspicuous.

I would love for banners to play a bigger role in Internet advertising, but they just don't make enough money these days. :(

Originally posted by conkermaniac
But the problem is that nobody really clicks on banners either, and they have a low payout (usually around 3 to 4 cents per click, which amounts to a whopping $30-40 if you manage to get 1,000 clicks -- and that's only if you get that many). In fact, I would bet that fewer people click on banners than the ad-frames and pop-ups because banners are usually so inconspicuous.

I would love for banners to play a bigger role in Internet advertising, but they just don't make enough money these days. :(

That is totally untrue. Well somewhat. The reason a lot of people don't actually click on the banners is because most of the time the ads have NOTHING to do with the current website. You see, the secret is to have a banner that goes with catagories and the word FREE.

Say someone has a gaming website, well you don't want to show ads about "Tampax" for the banners do you? (Most of the gamers are males, right?) But if you had categories for your banners, and instead the banner shows, "Get half-life 2 for $29.99", chances are, a lot of people will click on, being curious and all.

Well that's the way I see it anyways.

Originally posted by Ryan_man
That is totally untrue. Well somewhat. The reason a lot of people don't actually click on the banners is because most of the time the ads have NOTHING to do with the current website. You see, the secret is to have a banner that goes with catagories and the word FREE.

Say someone has a gaming website, well you don't want to show ads about "Tampax" for the banners do you? (Most of the gamers are males, right?) But if you had categories for your banners, and instead the banner shows, "Get half-life 2 for $29.99", chances are, a lot of people will click on, being curious and all.

Well that's the way I see it anyways.

Yeah I agree with this. My site gets over 5000 hits a day (not sure how many unique) but it's a sub domain, which means I can't go with top-end ad companies like FastClick. I made hardly any money at all with other ad networks and all the ads that were displayed were completely irrelevant to my site despite the fact I stated to the ad network what category the ads should be in. It confuses me why ad companies ignore the categories input given from the user because surely they will also benefit from this?

Wowwww! There adverts are getting bigger... i would find other free host with 468x60 banner than getting a portion of my screen with ads. :mad:

I don't know if any one else has experienced two ads showing, the old one and the new one but this is a bit over the top:

screenshot.gif

Originally posted by indx
I don't know if any one else has experienced two ads showing, the old one and the new one but this is a bit over the top:

screenshot.gif
Lovely! :biggrin2:

I agree with Ryan. Targeted advertising is the best way to go. Even if these hosts were able to deliver targeted advertisements, they would probably choose pop-ups over banners, as they provide more revenue. Trust me, the more annoying ads always get more attention. :)

Back