• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What specs for a VPS do I need?

Ruriko

I'm new to VPS and I was wondering what specs do I need for a site that has 10k+ unique daily traffic? it runs on Wordpress and right now it's a resource hog to the mysql server cause of high traffic

We need more info than that. What current usage do you have? CPU/RAM? Highest concurrrent mySQL/Apache requests?

We need more info than that. What current usage do you have? CPU/RAM? Highest concurrrent mySQL/Apache requests?

I'm currently on a shared host so I can't really check how much CPU or ram usage. I do know that I get about 100+ users actively browsing my site

Ask your host to see if they'll tell you. Most will let you know so you know how to scale for an upgrade.

Good Morning,

Don't forget the amount of plugins you have will also determine this number as well. Also I am assuming your running WPCache at least correct?

Thanks,
Anthony

10k unique? Just from that I can tell shared hosting won't work for you.
Concurrent connections is probably more useful than knowing unique hits, but I'd say you'd need a decent VPS with 512-1000 mb of RAM.
Though, how does your shared hosting provider still let you host with them if you're getting so much traffic?

More concurrent users need additional RAM and good speed disk if your budget is more try a dedi for this site, if not check with a good service provider with at least 1 GB RAM and 50 GB disk space hosted at high speed disk

While I don't want to start a war, I beg to differ. Depending on your site, you said WordPress Blog but mostly depending on your readers and there habits will tell you your direction. Unique hits are great but not the only factor in determining your growth. Are these hits loyal readers that come to your site daily and just look at the new post, or do they search around the site?
Example 1: http://anthonysblog.net/slashdot-fark-digg-or-just-popular/ The second image is a client we hosted on an AMD 2000 with 1GB of RAM, cPanel, and about 70 other websites, for almost 2 full years. This was a shoutboard for proboards forums, so heavy mysql usage. As you can see his avg was just over 15K Uniques a day and almost 1 Million Hits a day.
Example 2: http://anthonysblog.net/what-can-i-host-here/ This site only avg 2k - 5k Uniques a day but 500,000 to 1,200,000 hits a day. This site is a phpbb forum.

Also it very much depends on how tweaked up your servers are. An out of the box cPanel install will crash and burn at half those hits, tweaked up, I have seen with my own eyes for 2 solid years a small server process over 4 Million hits/mysql query's a day.

Just my 2 cents.

I would recommend going with a high quality VPS Server. Try to get something with at least 512mb of ram and a light control panel like DirectAdmin. The good thing about a VPS is that you can always upgrade very easily with no downtime.

You need to be aware of what you are looking for. What I mean: you need to see your logs and understand you current needs and then place request on the request section here.
I suppose that would be the best way for you to get new solution.

In your case you have to check the resource allocation of the processor and RAM, a minimum of 512 MB dedicated RAM is needed and an equal share CPU of at least 2 GHZ ( 4 X 0.5 Ghz) or more will be required if your site runs more on SQL

Go for a small dedicated server with 2 GB RAM. Perhaps a Core2Duo processor. You can be at peace for a very long time. It will help make your site even more popular.

I would say that you could get away with a VPS with only 512MB RAM, use LXAdmin and use lighthttpd rather then apache, and you'll find it will actually cope.

I'm currently on a shared host so I can't really check how much CPU or ram usage. I do know that I get about 100+ users actively browsing my site

Ask your web hosting provider then.
I believe that knowing whole requirements you will be able to find decent solution for you easily.

Since I'm having the same problem last time here is the result of the test I did on various 3 VPS plan by Santrex. You can look for option here:

http://www.santrex.net/vps.php

Starter Plan

If you run wp + excache or eacellerator this should be enuff for you. But if you run some kind of video embeded on your wp post then this is not a good choice for you as the numfile limit is juz 2400 for stater plan. Also the numproc would hit the limit too ^^ depend on your setting.

Numfile - 2400 (you cant ask for more)
Numproc - 100

Basic Plan

Well this is fair enuff to use on 10k ++ but if you require more sql process (which require more ram) then the next package is good for you

Numfile - 4800 (you can request an increased for this if you upgrade from stater plan)
Numproc - 200

Bronze Plan

Well basically you sleep at night if you use this. No downtime nothing much u can worried about.

Numfile - 3x2400 (well u can ask for more)
Numproc - 300

I use this one for my final choice I have 14k ++ daily unique visit I have around 200 - 500 user online at a same time watching video. So I suggest you get this. They have recurring 10% discount if you register directly.

Well you can also use my affiliate link if you want to register (thats will help me ^^) but yeah I will pm you the aff link.. u can either use it or not its ur choice ^^. I you need more info you can also ask me on msn ^^ crumx[at]live.com.my

Back