• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is double-layer DVD writer?

ghunter

As the title says. I suppose it is different from dual format (which records both DVD+ and DVD- media).

well my Mr. Bean dvd is double-sided
widescreen and normal

maybe your double-layer dvd burner burns both sides of the disc at the same time if its a double-side disc?

Maybe im totally wrong, wait for another reply :p

I don't have a double-layer DVD burner, but I am curious about it, and it would be good to know when I think about getting a DVD burner.

no, a dual layer dvd is type of dvd.. as opposed to one layer of information, there are two.. literally burnt one ontop of the other... these burners are capable of burning such dvd's.. however... the cost of the media makes up for the space advantage.

I see. It is ambiguous though; [double-layer DVD] writer, not double-layer [DVD writer]. I guess not all writers support this kind of double-layer media then. Thanks!

All DVD drives will read a double layer DVD disc.
All DVD writers will be able to write 4.4Gb (single layer) onto a double layer DVD disc (assuming the disc is a compatible format for them).
Only a DVD dual layer capable writer can write to both layers and fit 8.8Gb onto a single side of a DVD.

In case you still don't get it

DVD's have multiple data layers, I believe it works by using different angles of the laser to see through to the next layer. As you could imagine it would be pretty tricky creating a device that writes through one layer and then writes to the next layer without screwing up on or the other.

Multiple layers works like multiple platters in a Hard Drive,

DVDs can be single layer double sided,double layer single sided, and in the future double layer double sided.

The technology is still quite new, and if you do a search for reviews, you will find that many devices have problems writing double layer disks that read in other machines. It would be wise to wait a while before buying I think

In case you're not confused enough yet, soon-to-be-released Blu-ray optical discs support up to 8 iirc.

Back