• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is "commercial ROM"?

dummy

Stas.net's free web hosting service says that it is not allowed to put "Commerical ROM files" to my site. What does this term mean? Are freeware and shareware commercial roms?
Tnx.

It probably refers to any type of rom file from a commercial video game, or any rom from something that's copyrighted and commercially sold.

More or less, it saying "don't put copies of N64, playstation, or dreamcast games on your site". (yes roms can be from more things than video games, but you get the idea) Shareware and freeware should be fine, as long as the shareware isn't cracked (i.e. you get the full version without paying), or modified or anything. You should be fine.

What I believe happened over the last couple of years or so is a statute saying that if a particular game system is no longer sold, and the manufacture agrees to it, those ROMs can be traded on the Internet.

The only one I know for sure is the NES which Nintendo gives expressed permission that you can trade those freely...

Dont know about the SNES or the Genesis or Atari ROMs, although I would imagine the Atari ones are OK since they are about 20 years old...hehe...

***BUT, if a host says that they dont allow Commercial ROM files...thats usually a way of saying that they wont allow any ROM files whatsoever...

Generally, if they find ROM files on your site they will assume that they are illegal and remove them or your account! So be warned that this may be the case...

So you should probably email stas.net and ask them to further qualify their user agreement...

thanx

Ok, I understood. I needed to know if shareware and freeware are ok, I'm not going to upload any Nintendo or sth stuff

Back