• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is a better way to do this?

Fab4

First off i am only on my 4th day programing so allot of my code is probably awfull, but im learning. That being said, i do all my programing in notepad so there probably is a software answer to this question but I do not have acess to it. My question is, left column of the main table has all my links and some graphics and stuff. When i update this i have to go through everypage (only 3 now so its not a big deal) and change the code in each one. Is there anyway to anchor the first page or something so a change on idex.html effects all of them?
my site
Thanks

Originally posted by Fab4
Is there anyway to anchor the first page or something so a change on idex.html effects all of them?
There's several ways to do this:
  • there's probably some HTML editor out there that will let you do this and press a 'publish' button to link everything up the right way before you FTP everything up. Downside of this is that you'd have to pay (yes I know there are other ways but let's not discuss those :)) for a HTML editor.
  • check with your host if they support SSI. Basically you use one line on every page that has the menu that tells the server to: "put the contents of this file here". If your current one doesn't support SSI I believe there are several free hosts that have this and are reliable (you can always ask in the forum)
  • use frames which I don't really see working with your current layout too well and it's not a too good thing to do either
I'd go with the second option... it will let you keep designing everything as you are right now, won't cost you anything and won't require you to change your design. The only downside would be if your current host doesn't support it and you'd have to go find a new one.

(Edited to add a "nicely done" comment to your site btw :). Usually people who are new try to include every single animated gif they've ever seen in their life onto one single page. It doesn't look cluttered or unreadable either. I think you're on the right track if this is only your 4th day :))

Last edited:
I will have to look into the SSI thing (whats SSI?) but i know my host doesn't do php or mySQL stuff (i asked) so i don't know about SSI. The bonus of my host is that its kinda free (comes with my conection) and has no popups or banners or things which makes me want to keep using them then find a free host with SSI but also has tons of pop ups and banners.

In other news im trying to stay away from frames because:
A) lots of people don't like them
and B) i don't know how to use them yet.

Oh, and thanks on the comments :) My main purpose is to just provide an easy format for me and my friends to get together. Flashy graphics and such tend to take away form all that stuff. Just trying to make something that looks good and works. That and I am deathly affraid of going over my bandwidth allotment of 300mb a month. Right now doing 20-50kb a day so i have lots of room to expand but i would rather use it for pictures of our adventures then flashy graphics. (the top image was made with a .gif animator and just taking the one frame i liked the most for 1/100th the size.

Ok, so my tech guys are all backloged and my hosts site has absoulutley no info on what scripts they support.

Therefore would it be possible for someone to right a simple little "hello" type ssi script so i can try it out and see if my host supports it?
If its too much trouble np, ill get through to tech support one day.

Originally posted by Fab4
I will have to look into the SSI thing (whats SSI?)
The easiest page to describe it that I could find right away is: http://www.theriver.com/trwrc/ssi/
Here's a quote of the part you'd use (has what you want as an example):
SSI can make the maintenance of your website easier. If, for example, you have an element that is the same for all of your pages, you can keep this element on a separate page and include it with a SSI. Normally the header or footer of a page might be consistent across all pages. In the case of this website the menu bar in the upper right corner is the same. If I took the html for the menu bar out and put it on a separate page called menu.html, I could use:

<!--#include virtual="menu.html" -->

This will take whatever is in the file menu.html and insert it into the page where the SSI was located. Give it a try. Now if I need to update the menu bar I only need to update the menu.html page. Note that in the menu.html file I have only the html that I want included. I have left out the normal <html> </html> tags because they will already be included in the page.
I think there should be several adfree hosts having SSI as a feature. It's not that advanced. You can always just do a post and see what people advise.

BTW-if you can't find information from your ISP on wether they support SSI or not then just try it.

Make one ssi.html file with:
<html><body><!--#include virtual="ssitest.html"> --></body></html>
as the contents and the ssitest.html just:
This is a test
Upload both files to your ISP and then go to the ssi.html with your browser. If you see a blank page then they don't support it, if you see: "This is a test" then they do :).

(SSI isn't something you'll see if you look at your pages on your hard disk btw. They have to be uploaded and served by a server for them to show properly)

(I messed up the tags)

ok did it and its either me or my host.... but someone isn't doing ssi right.

Here is my ssitest.html file which contents consit only of "this is a test"

in my index (here) you can see i put
"<!--#include virtual="ssitest.html" --> "
right under the "now in left column" break. But it doesn't show up.... so does that mean that it doesn't support ssi or am i doing this wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I forgot to tell you that some servers require you to use .shtml at the end when you're using SSI :eek:
So the ssi.html file should actually be named ssi.shtml
The ssitest file can keep the name it has

Tried the .shtml thing, still nothing. Thanks care but it just looks like either i screwed up the code or my host doesn't support it. I think that you probably looked at the code.... therefore i figure its not supported. Thanks for your help though, maybe one day when i get a nice paid server.

radhika-
are you saying my code was wrong or jsut giving me a link to learn how to use it if my server did support ssi?

I have left the .shtml code in there so people can comment on wether or not i programed it right. seemed simple enough but then again i know nothing about html programing. If you look at my code you can see all the dummy bars i put in there. Yeah its not the best looking code but it keeps me from screwing stuff up.

What you can do is use Javascript to include a section or sections that remains constant in all your pages.

Back