• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What & How-to GPL?

ashben

What is GPL? I know its a General Public License for open-source applications/services, but how is it practically implemented? I have this software written in VB6 or Java (for example), now how can I release it under GPL and how would the license affect the software's future?

BTW, what's the homepage or org site for GPL?

Any info. is appreciated!

If you'll release it under the GPL it will be Open Source. That's right. Basically it doesn't say anything about the success of the program, it might be successfull because it's free. You will not be able to sell it anymore. Further you could host the project at http://www.sourceforge.net (uhh, and who woulnd't want that :)).

The main bad thing is that people can download the program and just setup their own sites and develope it more. So basically you lost control on the developement. (that's also the reason why we are currently writing our own license). The GPL can be found at http://www.gnu.org somewhere on the site.

If your wondering what the GPL liscence entails...here is a brief overview:

First your code can be given away freely (with the docs). You have no control over its spread, but your name cannot be removed from the credits. If someone modififies your software, then that person adds his name to the credits (with yours) and that becomes distributable.

Anyway, I believe you have to include the source of your program (the actual code). If you just want to give it away for free, you can make it freeware.

In order to make it 'GPL', just include a copy of the liscence in your package and a disclaimer in your source code. I dont think there is any legal procedure :)

Thanks for the info!

Could a MS-Windows application be released under GPL or is it only limited to the Unix platform?

I still havent found the GPL homepage. Besides the license there has to be more to it!

Back