• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What happens to domains when they expire?

Erizo

Muffin
NLC
Well... just that xD

I have a domain i accidentally let get expired, wanted to transfer it to godaddy, but apparently, it won't let me transfer it unless i renew it for 35 USD ¬¬

So... what happens with it if i let it expire? I thought to let it expire, then register it with godaddy, but apparently is not that easy :lol:

It gets put back as inactive, and allows people to buy it. If it's JUST expired right now, that $35 is a "get it before someone else does" type of thing. It'll be listed on some websites as being recently expired and is available for pre-purchase, like bidding (GoDaddy calls theirs the "Domain aftermarket"). It takes something like 30-45 days (I forgot the exact time) before you can buy it openly without these bids etc.

I remeber buying my first domain in the 90's for $35 a year.

I guess the best advice is if you want a domain and have it ... don't let it expire.

I am surpriised though that if you are the owner and it just expired like last week or so that there is not a grace period to allow the current/original owner to just renew.

Just my .02 worth

Al most registrar keeping the expired domain with them for back order. SO getting back after expire is difficult

Thanks guys... that was a kind of unused domain for a site i was planning on redoing, so i guess new site will have to mean new different domain XD

Domain squatters? I think you mean domain investors.

As to the original question, most registrars will now renew expired domains for themselves and sell them if they have any value. If they have no luck with that then it will eventually get deleted.

Back