• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you want in a freehost?

Darknight

Premium
Premium Member
NLC
Please list the things you look for.
I want to get a rough idea of what the client looks for, then work on finding new nonabusive ways to make profitable income on that.

I know theres a way, its just not one that everyone else does.
So yeah...

• Remote MySQL allowed (only used for backups. Usually I test the main website of the host before signing up.)
  • Allow creation of addon and parked domains not yet pointed to the server
  • Fast server (Not necessarily high end)
  • Reasonable limit on parked and addon domains (30 is enough)
  • DirectAdmin (preferred) or cPanel
  • Current PHP/MySQL versions
  • magic_quotes_gpc and related off or ini_set not in the disable_functions. Custom php.ini allowed will work too.
  • Reasonable disk and transfer limit. (2-5 gb disk and 10-50 gb transfer)

Last edited:
A good way to report abusing websites.
Monitoring of websites on the server, so they don't overuse resources and cause the servers to stall.
Everything being incorporated into one, would make things so easy.
Even something not really hosting related, but a owner who really doesn't care so much about keeping everyone happy with stupid requests, their PR and image they represent over the net. Care more about the ones who treat your hosting well and appreciate it.

Support is number one in my opinion. Regardless if they are getting space for free, if you plan on making cash from it, then keeping people happy is #1. Also just because people do not pay cash for service, placing ads and or posting is costing them something, whether space on their pages or time from their lives.

I would suggest offering smaller amounts to start with, like 250 MB space and 5 GB transfer and then increasing as needed. That "should" weed out alot of people looking to abuse I would think. Special cases can be made for people who already have active websites you can review if larger specs are needed.

Allow people to place ads, instead of forcing them. Nothing deters a person more I think then having a huge banner frame at the top and or bottom of their site. Allowing people to incorporate them into their layout is preferable.

email Autoresponder
Good number of emails, subdomains, addon domains, parked domains
20 MySQL databases
PHP safe_mode OFF
email piping supported
Good uptime and high speed server with high speed connectivity.

Most people aren't able to provide me such a service. That's why I created my own. :) lol

Your company & your clients. *ROFL :evilb:

Kidding, "Any free hosting that stay still & never die or never sold their company to anyone would be enough."

Last edited:
* Stability. Make your servers built to last, come what may they won't vanish overnight or crash at 2AM and stay that way until noon three days a week.

* Performance. Doesn't have to be a super hot rod, in fact it's better not to because performance-modded builds often lack stability found in more conservative arrangements. But it should run light and quick, keeping up with customer demand with capacity to spare.

* Reliability. Stuff happens. A good host will own up to their mistakes and make good on them, even if it means catering to a few upset customers after recovering from an outage. Won't always make everyone happy, but if you can keep most of your customers satisfied they'll keep coming back for more. Just have plans in place for handling situations so that if something breaks you rebound quickly and decisively.

*Support. This is vital, in fact one of the turn-offs to a customer is if they need help and can't get it. More often than not they will ask somebody else for help, and be referred to another host. And I know quite a few people guilty of this, having seen it quite a few times just in a year of hosting and several years of being a free host user myself.

*Realistic. While Unlimited Everything looks great on paper, it is impossible to actually provide that. Even if you were the proud owner of a Google Super-cluster, your resources would still be finite and so should your plans with those resources. Not only that, but realistic hosting plans will deter would-be abusers because they won't have the resources to abuse to such extents.
And they are more profitable to a host- reducing abuse and increasing regular traffic to legitimate sites.

*Security. Modify the php.ini to disable commonly abused functions, with manual inspection of site and source code before re-enabling a disabled feature when a customer requests it. For instance disabling all forms of sockets, mail, and remote PHP includes will prevent the generation of spam email. You then tell your customers that if they are installing content that requires such a feature- such as a forum that uses notification emails, they can submit a support ticket to have php mail enabled for their site. Other security measures are a good idea as well, as some site content types attract so-called script kiddies and other types of negative attention that focuses on flooding or compromising the server.

Last edited:
* Stability. Make your servers built to last, come what may they won't vanish overnight or crash at 2AM and stay that way until noon three days a week.

* Performance. Doesn't have to be a super hot rod, in fact it's better not to because performance-modded builds often lack stability found in more conservative arrangements. But it should run light and quick, keeping up with customer demand with capacity to spare.

* Reliability. Stuff happens. A good host will own up to their mistakes and make good on them, even if it means catering to a few upset customers after recovering from an outage. Won't always make everyone happy, but if you can keep most of your customers satisfied they'll keep coming back for more. Just have plans in place for handling situations so that if something breaks you rebound quickly and decisively.

*Support. This is vital, in fact one of the turn-offs to a customer is if they need help and can't get it. More often than not they will ask somebody else for help, and be referred to another host. And I know quite a few people guilty of this, having seen it quite a few times just in a year of hosting and several years of being a free host user myself.

*Realistic. While Unlimited Everything looks great on paper, it is impossible to actually provide that. Even if you were the proud owner of a Google Super-cluster, your resources would still be finite and so should your plans with those resources. Not only that, but realistic hosting plans will deter would-be abusers because they won't have the resources to abuse to such extents.
And they are more profitable to a host- reducing abuse and increasing regular traffic to legitimate sites.

*Security. Modify the php.ini to disable commonly abused functions, with manual inspection of site and source code before re-enabling a disabled feature when a customer requests it. For instance disabling all forms of sockets, mail, and remote PHP includes will prevent the generation of spam email. You then tell your customers that if they are installing content that requires such a feature- such as a forum that uses notification emails, they can submit a support ticket to have php mail enabled for their site. Other security measures are a good idea as well, as some site content types attract so-called script kiddies and other types of negative attention that focuses on flooding or compromising the server.

Can't go wrong with this advice.

Wow this is exactly like my first post when I was originally starting. What people want in a web host is pretty simple - a good community and helpful administrators for support, not having their website ruined by downtime or big obtrusive ads, not having to spend all their time posting, though most don't mind some, and knowing that they can depend on that web host for a long time.

For features, just the basic PHP, MySQL, etc... are important. People really like instant script installers but all this comes fairly standard with cPanel. Be aware that Ruby on Rails pretty much requires SSH access, it's best to go with a company that knows what they are doing when it comes to that.

Oh if you need any help getting started I already have a platform you can work with. Basically it's 90% finished and you would swap out your main site, features page, and any features you wanted to add to be your own. Then the core functionality would still be our backend which we've used for 5 years essentially. This is a new system, but as you obviously know what you're doing with this host (how to get your first dedicated clients), I figured you're a pretty good person to try it out with us. So just add me on Skype 'azoundria' and we can chat sometime.

I went with a very simple premise : Just Stay Alive. However, that seems to be its own challenge lately.

Not just lately, but or as long as I can remember. Most of the "administrators" here have a mean age of probably 19 or 20 years old. Not saying that's a bad thing because I started at this when I was 12, but most just do not have the expertice to last more than a year without something screwing up and then they disappear into the night without a trace.

- IPv6 support, there are not a lot of free webhosts who support it. (unfortunately cPanel also doesn't support it, but Directadmin does)

Back