• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what do you use

andy_jacko

After looking at the boards I have seen a lot of conflicting info about what design tools to use (php, cgi, dreamweaver, flash etc, etc.).
I am fairly new to web design and would like to do it as a job, what I would like to know is what do you recommend I learn with regards to software, programming languages etc. and where are your favorite tutorials relating to the things you recommend.

cheerz andy :)

I use Notepad, and a combination of Macromedia Flash, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Go Live, and Adobe LiveMotion for graphics and animations.

I use php. I don't really care much for perl.

I use Corel Webmaster Suite and Namo Webeditor (namo.com). Additionally I use Corel Photopaint 4.0, Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop.

Forgot to add:

Photoshop 5.5/ImageReady 2.0, puTTY to connect to a remote server via SSH1 port 22, and the software on the server.

Photoshop 6, Dreamweaver 4, Front Page 2002, Flash 5, Fireworks 4 and some other ...

Originally posted by andy_jacko
After looking at the boards I have seen a lot of conflicting info about what design tools to use (php, cgi, dreamweaver, flash etc, etc.).
I am fairly new to web design and would like to do it as a job, what I would like to know is what do you recommend I learn with regards to software, programming languages etc. and where are your favorite tutorials relating to the things you recommend.

cheerz andy :)

my reccomendations would be to learn html first, then learn how to use dreamweaver and a photoediting software. after that maybe some flash.

as far as tutorials go, there are manymany out there. just do a search at google.com and you will probably have enough to keep you busy.

To everyone else: read the damn question. He probably cares less about WTF you all use than what he ne needs to learn. maybe some helpful input would be good.

Re: Re: what do you use

Originally posted by meow
Did anyone read his question?
Originally posted by Gayowulf
To everyone else: read the damn question. He probably cares less about WTF you all use than what he ne needs to learn. maybe some helpful input would be good.
Maybe everyone was suggesting him to learn whatever they posted. :p

I recommend you learn HTML (as basic as you can go with online scripting), PHP (nice, easy, fast) and perhaps some perl if you have the time. Use text editors like Notepad or Editplus (I use it, it's payware though, but... :D), never rely on programs like Frontpage or Dreamweaver to do the stuff for you. For graphics, I use Photoshop 6, another good one is called Paintshop Pro.

[ADD]
Flash looks nice, but it's main downside is that it takes a lot more time to load, so it's not widely used.

Let me chime in as a novice web designer... Here is what I did to get into the design arena:

FrontPage + Notepad for basic HTML editing... then I changed to Visual InterDev for complete site management of the HTML/project.

Sure HTML is not powerful or fancy... but I have started adding JavaScript for any fancy things I needed. Sure, I cannot write code but I can cut and paste it as needed and understand what it is doing and how it works.

In my opinion, there are way to many languages to learn and way too many computer hardware/software disciplines to acclimate to and so little time...

cheerz guys a lot of useful info there.

At the moment I can design using Notepad and am using Dreamweaver for a college project (with notepad to fine tune the code) along with flash. I can cut and paste java script like shaner and can insert and cofigure applets. I am hoping to do some freelance work soon, only basic business card type sites for now but would like to go onto database driven all singing all dancing stuff later.

php seems the thing to learn, I might have a look at sql for the database side of things.

thanks again for the help and any other advice would be welcome. I would also like to hear from Designers in the Lincolnshire area (I am looking for work and new deal are willing to help) mail me or post and i'll mail you.

:)

Last edited:
Originally posted by andy_jacko
php seems the thing to learn, I might have a look at sql for the database side of things.
While you're at it, you may want to learn Perl. A person who knows two languages is more valuable as an asset than a person who knows one language, likewise a person who knows multiple languages (maybe 5 or 6) is a much more valuable asset than one who knows only two.

I learned all of my HTML by looking at sources of other sites and by playing around with the code.

It was even funner than being taught by someone!:)

Originally posted by DJsexie
I learned all of my HTML by looking at sources of other sites and by playing around with the code.
It's the same way I learned it. I can't believe that took me 2 days! :eek:

php newbies

You might like to try phptriad to get started, you can download it at sourceforge. It installs apache, mysql and phpmyadmin on your pc so you can tinker with it without a server. I haven´t been able to make head nor tail of it yet but it´s early days. There´s a good tutorial at http://webmasterbase.com/article/228
I´m looking out for free hosts with php/mysql, there aren´t many.

Originally posted by Phrozen
It's the same way I learned it. I can't believe that took me 2 days! :eek:
I'm always learning. :D There are new stuff to find out every day. Like, for instance, I recently saw this nifty IE tag that might be useful for some people:

<INPUT type="text" dir="rtl">

I'm guessing "dir" = "direction" and "rtl" = "right to left".

Originally posted by DJsexie

It was even funner than being taught by someone!:)
Did you copy the code?:confused: :confused2 :p :D

Back