• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you expect from a Free Hosting Company?

ChangAdam

Hello,

I'm planning on opening my own Free Hosting company (I'm doing it as a hobby, not as a profit source because I have enough profit from my full-time job).
I would want to know what would Free Hosting users expect from a provider?
Which billing system would be the best, should I go with a VPS or a Dedicated Server?
Is post2host really a good idea and attractive?
I don't plan on the forced-ads scenario... maybe only on resellers, IF I will offer them, that is.
I guess that cPanel is a must?
How about customer support? I think that live chat and getting a few volunteers to help out would be a good way to interact with the client, I was also thinking about sending a survey/questionaire for the users each month so they could express their feelings and add up some suggestions and what we should improve.
I would really want to bring free hosting to another level, even by offering an account manager for those users so they can feel a personal touch.

What do you guys think?
What would be a good idea to get a unique way to bring users?
I don't want to make profit from it, I want to bring a free hosting to another level.

Thanks,
Adam.

Things for a FreeHost

I like to think of layered levels of a company's strength.

At Layer0, I would suggest that the minimum features you design can last for at least a year, and that you don't pull the plug after some six months "because I wasn't getting any users".

I believe there is a sort of Quantum-uncertain effect for new fellas in this industry. By starting new, you don't yet have customers, and if you pack it up in 6 months for no-customers, then anyone who did sign on would roll their eyes at Yet Another FlyByNight. It's like the old west - we have way too many of those 6-month-specials.

My own experience has led me to promote LowSpec Lurker accounts. It takes time to figure out why *you* are, or are not The Bird's Chirp among all the other hungry newcomers. So if you accidentally make your TOS more aggressive than a crazed boxer, that sends a chilling message.

I feel post2host works best as a a Cake-Reward to earn upgrades, not a limbo bar with a penalty. I am willing to give linkbacks because those can usually be tastefully worked into a page. Ads are usually a bit trickier. My site especially has absolutely no room for ads.

When all those and other barebones basics are solved, then you can see what cool features work, or not. That's Level1. I don't care which panel is used, but I am not "qualified to give an opinion". If you can manage it, live customer tech sounds like it would work wonders, if it doesn't burn you out.

Longlivity no.1 that bring trust from everyone.
Quota how much doesn't matter longlivity rule the credits.

Running free/post/ads/paid in the same site would be good.
You can run either free option, post option, paid option, ad option.
Better than run 1 type & rely on it.
Give the complete option custom you won't lack anything & people will choose what they like.

I noticed you stated hobby, you know after a while it becomes a job.

Anyways I wish you the best of luck. from reading your post looks like you have everything in order and thought it out.

The only bit of advice I can add to this is to be yourself! try not to copy others, set your own protocols! learn it your own way.

Hey Leriss,

It's great that you seem to have thought about the various aspects of a Web Hosting Company, already.

As you're just starting out, unless you've worked in a Web Hosting Company before, or have relevant Experience with the Web Hosting industry, go with a Reseller - for a start. Once your company is more or less established (i.e with a stable base of users), you could move on to a VPS, or probably, a Dedicated - if you have cash to spare, that is.

An alternative to cPanel would be DirectAdmin. Which, some users find better, compared to cPanel (e.g Richard :p).

Regarding Customer Support via Live Chat, LiveZilla (from what i've heard), is pretty good. Have a go at them. Do make sure the volunteers you recuit have the relevant experience to handle support queries, lest they give wrong advice to your customers - resulting in you losing your customers.

The fact you want to send out questionaires and surveys for your customers to fill out on how to better your hosting service is a positive point, showing you care for your hosting company. However, do note that some customers will find this monthly 'questionaire/survey' annoying. Perhaps, give your customers an option to receive these questionaires at the end of each month, or not? (of course, you put the box ticked initially, and only if they spot it, would they uncheck it ;)).

Just my few cents. :)

I agree with you all but.. hey! It will become a job? I am taking it like a passion!! And I think that when a user, maybe the only one, will say "Thank you for the service" it will be a success!! :) The important is not to give up and to continue!

What I know.... People want a lot and are not willing to pay for that. I believe that for the free web hosting service Good TOS and AUP a\is the mast and small but honest packages and people should underand as well what do they need to do in exchange

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback ( I'm Leriss, just changed the nick [Thanks Peo!] )

Regarding experience, I'm experienced in the Web Hosting field and I'm myself working full-time as a Server Admin so I can easily handle tech-side things.

The TOS and AUP Will be made scrupulously.

I'm planning to start later this month, I want to start once everything is ready.

The thing I'm still not sure of is... Panel.

cPanel or DirectAdmin...or maybe LxAdmin.

Me, myself I'm really using cPanel the most but it's also a resource hog and maybe it's time for DA to appear since it's becoming even better and better.

What do you guys think ?

My personal opinion is go with DirectAdmin. I would avoid LxAdmin but then again I dont like it myself.

As for your question about dedicated server or vps. I would get a VPS and then later on down the road upgrade if need be to a dedicated server. Its a good way to keep the costs down.

Customer Support: Live support would be nice but I don't think its something that is needed. A forum would probably be much better and with a forum some questions can be answered by the community. Could do both still tho ;)

What would be a good idea to get a unique way to bring users: Now if we told you that then it would not be unique anymore only you can decide what would be best because what would be the best idea for one person to use might not be for you.

Thanks for the kudos.

Which Billing/Account Creating script would be best?

WHMCS/ClientExec OR something different maybe ?

Also looking for more suggestions regarding Control Panel :)

I would go with client exec if your going to consider paid hosting. Its cheaper than WHMCS :)

Hello,

I'm planning on opening my own Free Hosting company (I'm doing it as a hobby, not as a profit source because I have enough profit from my full-time job).
I would want to know what would Free Hosting users expect from a provider?
Which billing system would be the best, should I go with a VPS or a Dedicated Server?
Is post2host really a good idea and attractive?
I don't plan on the forced-ads scenario... maybe only on resellers, IF I will offer them, that is.
I guess that cPanel is a must?
How about customer support? I think that live chat and getting a few volunteers to help out would be a good way to interact with the client, I was also thinking about sending a survey/questionaire for the users each month so they could express their feelings and add up some suggestions and what we should improve.
I would really want to bring free hosting to another level, even by offering an account manager for those users so they can feel a personal touch.

What do you guys think?
I don't want to make profit from it, I want to bring a free hosting to another level.

Thanks,
Adam.

When choosing a web hosting company you'll want to ensure reliability. You can't afford for your website to be down for any length of time. Your website is the equivalent of owning a bricks and mortar store. The advantage of having an online business is that you are open to customers at any time of the day or night. If your web hosting provider is not reliable you may have down time to your website that can sometimes be significant.

Expect...

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback ( I'm Leriss, just changed the nick [Thanks Peo!] )

Regarding experience, I'm experienced in the Web Hosting field and I'm myself working full-time as a Server Admin so I can easily handle tech-side things.

The TOS and AUP Will be made scrupulously.

I'm planning to start later this month, I want to start once everything is ready.

I'm still a fan of "Impress me first with the loss-leader intro and maybe I'll one day go paid."

A couple new browser plugins notify me of what services deep-track visits to my page. My (as of today) backup host runs google analytics against my page hit. (It has also struggled a bit with uptimes, and has a couple other factors.)

I got a nice offer from Xinix a little while ago, and they seem to come through cleaner on the detection tests (and slightly better server speeds this month.)

So, all I hope is that they can pass the endurance test.

Back