• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What contact information do I need to provide?

voloyb

Hello everyone ! :classic2:
I was wondering how much contact information I have to provide on my website. As far as I know that is different in every country. Due to a (quite, but not too) recent law all pages hosted on German and Austrian servers have to provide the full contact address of the creator/owner.
Now my pages are on a server in Dallas in the US (sponsored by DavidsAwesome, thanks again) and I was wondering what the American law says concerning that.
I read somewhere that all pages should have a disclaimer but could not find anything about a law or so.

Thanks in advance for all responses :classic2:

Just keep your domain registration records up to date (or pay a couple of bucks for a private whois). You don't need to put any contact details on your website.

If you're running a business through your website, there may be other laws (such as trading standards) that require contact details.

If you're running a business, you'll want to provide as much contact info as possible. A business that hides their contact info protrays uncertainty. If it's just a personal site, as mentioned above, the only thing required to be up to date is the whois info on your domain.

If it's a business, you should provide your name, telephone, fax, cell, and physical address.

If it's a personal site, you don't need to provide any contact info (other than for the domain).

Back