• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What book/s are you reading?

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
I'm currently reading a book called Green Girls by Michael Kimball.
The last book I read was called China Lake by Meg Gardiner.

The last series I read - and these books are amongst my VERY favourites - are the Odd Thomas (by Dean Koontz) books... Starting with
1) Odd Thomas
2) Forever Odd
3) Brother Odd
4) Odd Hours

I would recommend all of the above books, but ESPECIALLY the Odd Thomas series. Just don't read the back slips of the books before you've finished at least the first one. The second book's back cover has a major spoiler on it.

Green Girls is just truly weird. So far it's about a jerk psychiatrist, a carpenter/writer who loses his wife to said psychiatrist, a woman who jumps (suicide/murder... you'll understand if you read it) off a bridge, and a Shaman chasing his ex-wife from one side of the country to another. It's pretty good though, I'm nearly finished and I'm at the "OMG can't put it down" stage.

China Lake was really interesting and different. It's about a strange religious cult with all t these obsessive crazy fanatics and their plots to wreak havoc, and how it entangles one particular family and totally screws with them. Also centres a fair bit on the US Air Force.

Odd Thomas. I don't want to say much about these. I don't NEED to. The series is amazing. Anyone who reads these is doing themselves a huge favour in my opinion. They're incredibly well written, Odd Thomas is just one of those characters who sucks you in and you are seriously just cheering for him, hoping for him the whole time. I've cried a lot over these books, but they aren't weak or particularly girly, just... Gritty, I guess, in parts. And you just get so attached to the characters and the stories you just want them to win so badly. Sometimes even when they do, it's just too bittersweet. There's also a comic book of Odd Thomas out (not a series, just the 1 book as far as I know) but I haven't got this yet.

So, you guys got any recommendations? Hopefully we can do this without posting any spoilers to books! :)

Right now I'm reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. On the second book, it's flippin' amazing.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy was also good, if a bit dry ... not as dry as Hemingway, though. *shudder* ...

Ben - The Dark Tower Series drops off dramatically and the ending is worse than the Soprano's.

I'm currently reading book 6 of the Death Gate Cycle - Into the Labyrinth, it's a good series, but I'll have to see how it ends up.

If you don't read you are are an idiot, it's half of literacy.

Last edited:
I catch public transport to work every morning, and it leaves me with about 30 minutes to myself before I start work.

So 40 minutes on transport, 30 minutes to get breakfast, 30 minutes lunch break, and sometimes I read before bed. I read probably 5+ books a week?

Ben - The Dark Tower Series drops off dramatically and the ending is worse than the Soprano's.

I'm currently reading book 6 of the Death Gate Cycle - Into the Labyrinth, it's a good series, but I'll have to see how it ends up.

If you don't read you are are an idiot, it's half of literacy.

You don't honestly believe the Dark Tower series is over, do you? :p

Currently, I'm blowing through anything ever written by Chuck Palahniuk. Why the ---- do his books go so well, and then the endings go off on some mystical tangent that barely makes sense? It's maddening.

I always knocked Harry Potter like crazy until I actually sat down and read them. They're quite enjoyable :p.

Don't spoiler it, or at least tag the thread with darktowerspoil or something so I know not to come back in.

Back