• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Website Idea

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
OK, I know as far as the internet goes, pretty much everything has been done. It's hard to be really original...and I accept that :devious2:

But I was wondering, how common are websites that shed light on independant musicians and such? My idea was to make a website that's run almost like a record label, except naturally, all these artists are unsigned. It's kind of like a promotional venture of sorts. I guess the real objective is to just give some spotlight to those who don't normally get it.

I know this can't be a new thing, but I've never really seen any. Do you think a site like this is worth doing, and do you anticipate that, if done properly, could generate a lot of traffic?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Well i was personally thinking of doing the same thing. Helping the bands get exposure, and im sure, after a while, the site would get fairly big, and if you offered them the chance to upload a couple of songs im sure you would chew through a bit of transfer as well. It's a good idea, but i just didn't get around to starting it. PM me if you need any hosting to start off with ;).

It's been done before, but it's still a good idea. I'm sure you could add a new twist on the idea which would make your site unique.

One such site which I like is www.getoutthere.com - it offers the oppurtunity to get recognised, not just for musicians but for other areas too.

Good luck if you do take the idea and run with it though! :D

A site about all the Web Trends that were, are, etc. Like those thigns where something pops up at you after staring at a pic. Those were a web trend, and that "Your base" thing was one.

No shizzle, I know what kind of site I wanna make, the one I stated above, I just wanted to know how common it was.

In any case, I don't think I'm gonna do it...at least not now. Making a site like that successful would take time, commitment, and most certainly money, none of which at this time I'm prepared to offer. This may be a venture for the future.

Though if anyone decides to do something like this, feel free to consult me. I feel I had some very good ideas for this.

Hmm...I was thinking of doing pretty much the exact same thing. But, I figured, like most projects of mine, it will never get off the ground.

The problem is, I literally couldn't name one indie band. NOT ONE. All my CD's are mainstream music...so mostly, if I were to make a site like this, it would be for my benefit, to learn about some great artists that will never make it big.

It would be cool to promote a local band, because then you could go to the shows and stuff. My sister's ex boyfriend (they are still friends) is in an otherwise all girl band with some chicks from my sisters work. They have a demo, and got some professional photos taken of them, and are making a website and stuff. I think it would be hella cool to help them succeed.

So, BV, if you know any bands that need promoting, it may be worth pursuing.

make some kind of internet rip off of American Idol, im sure that the swiss cheese brain masses would go for that. its hard to come up with new ideas, its easier to take an idea thats already been done and try and do something different or make improvements on it.

Originally posted by Moonman
Well i was personally thinking of doing the same thing. Helping the bands get exposure, and im sure, after a while, the site would get fairly big, and if you offered them the chance to upload a couple of songs im sure you would chew through a bit of transfer as well.
sounds identical to mp3.com

Well, on MP3.com, not all of the bands are independant. That's pretty much the only difference I can see, that's for sure. Though if I were gonna do it, I'd take it in a different direction than that. But it doesn't matter now. Like I said, I'm putting this one on hold for a while.

I actually have plans for something similar... already have the design underway and stuff... though my idea was to include Maine bands.

Though this is me I'm talking about, so it may end up like many of my other projects and never get off the ground...

THat is a great Idea... AMerican Idol, for bands! Not for stupid singers.! And even better, for Punk, Emo, and Ska bands ONLY!

i've been planning to do a website dedicated to an independant musician, dax riggs http://www.daxriggs.com tho i have yet to actually do it, hes far from local for me since hes in Lousiana but he plays local clubs only and i think is highly under appreciated. check out some of his bands if your into metal or rock. acid bath, agents of oblivion, deadboy and the elephantmen. all good stuff.

Looks like everyone is having this idea, not so original eh Blankey.:D :p

I was actually thinking of something similar, too. Hey, maybe all us Freewebspacedotneters should make a mega site... and it'll be the coolest in the world!

Ahem.

But really.

What I have been doing is for one of my sites that is visited by a lot of people into non-pop-non-commercial music is we are putting together a compilation CD that will feature a bunch of independant bands (I already have about 10 songs so far) and then professionally printing the CD and selling it from the site, as well as people from all over the world being able to sell the CD at shows and stuff, or wherever else they want.

Once the first one is done I plan on starting another, hopefully the first will sell at least a few hundred copies, and I will see about starting an affiliate program if I can boost sales that way.

From that idea I also took to the concept of a free host for punk and hardcore bands, so while it does help out with quality free hosting for them, but hopefully a targeted market to sell the CD's, and also a prime place for more songs for more compilation CD's.

This isn't exactly the same idea, but yeah... we all seem to be having a similar idea, here.:p

Well, leave it to me to have a not so original idea :p

btw, emo sucks :devious2:

but hey, 'fur, that's an awesome idea. That IS somewhat original. You and the people that are in with you on this might consider starting an impromptu record label of your own, free of corruption and corporate strangleholds.

Originally posted by Toefur
Looks like everyone is having this idea, not so original eh Blankey.:D :p

I was actually thinking of something similar, too. Hey, maybe all us Freewebspacedotneters should make a mega site... and it'll be the coolest in the world!

Ahem.

But really.

What I have been doing is for one of my sites that is visited by a lot of people into non-pop-non-commercial music is we are putting together a compilation CD that will feature a bunch of independant bands (I already have about 10 songs so far) and then professionally printing the CD and selling it from the site, as well as people from all over the world being able to sell the CD at shows and stuff, or wherever else they want.

Once the first one is done I plan on starting another, hopefully the first will sell at least a few hundred copies, and I will see about starting an affiliate program if I can boost sales that way.

From that idea I also took to the concept of a free host for punk and hardcore bands, so while it does help out with quality free hosting for them, but hopefully a targeted market to sell the CD's, and also a prime place for more songs for more compilation CD's.

This isn't exactly the same idea, but yeah... we all seem to be having a similar idea, here.:p
Damn you toe guy :p. I was thinking (haven't done anything to do with it), but was thinking about making a similar compilation CD for unknown artist's, where all the money involved was divided up evenly above all the artists on the CD, helping them to further their careers. The only money i would ever see would have been to pay for production cost's, etc.

Back