• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Web page design and build

george2000

I am new to setting up a web page. I want to start out a with free or low cost page to see if it will be worthwhile for me, but I am having trouble. I created a page on Yahoo Geocities but I cannot upload any pictures. Part or all of the problem may be that I am using a Mac 8500 Powermac and Netscape to access the internet. Yahoo is having problems working with macs.

I would also like to consider the idea of buying a low cost web page design program that I could use to build the page on my Mac and then up load it to some site. Later I would consider upgrading to a more sophisticated page and/or site.

But I do not know the html language and hope I can build a page without it. If I have to learn it, maybe I can if it's not too hard.

Since you do not know HTML, try using Microsoft Frontpage to build your webpages. As for the graphics... if i remembered it correctly, there is a Adobe photoshop 7.0 which can produce web images on MAC system.

However, it will do you good if you learn some basic html:
Introduction to HTML
HTML Goodies

Good Luck! :)

I think IE 5 for Mac works with Yahoo?

For a start, try Netscape/Mozilla Composer. I used to design web pages with it before I learnt HTML. HTML isn't hard at all, though :)

Thanks for the replies. I got a book from the library called "How to Design and Build the Coolest Website in Cyberspace" by Nick Nettleton, published in 2002. Lots of pictures. He recommends an authoring program such as GoLive, which is about $400.

What about some of the internet web building sites that offer a site or pages for $10 a month or so? Can any of these get the job done for what I expect to be a fairly simple site? I've been working on a video that I'm making available on VHS and later probably on DVD. I expect to include a brief treatment of the story, some details about the actors, and maybe some rants and raves. If I can get that far, I can add to it later on.:)

Those are just templates.... Unless you get one specialized for frontpage, you better know HTML.

Since I am using Netscape browser, I decided to look into how Netscape's Composer works. I've been able to make some bacic progress but I've still got a long way to go. Composure provides tables, horizontal lines,color, fonts, and other capabilities that I don't yet understand.

Has anybody else used Composure to try to build a page? Right now I have Netscape 4.5 and Netscape says my computer is too slow (8500/120Mhz mac) to handle 6.1. :)

Hmmm... that's strange my mac works fine with yahoo.

As for your question html is easy to learn and if you have simpletext you can use that to create html pages.

Try w3schools.com If you don't know how to do something just ask on the forum. Basic HTML is a walk in the park so it shouldn't be that hard. It only takes a little practice and you should get the hang of it.

Thanks Lapras--

I've been working with Netscape's Composer and have managed to create a page with 6 pictures and 6 captions to go with them, but the project is not complete. I used 4 tables with 3 columns each to do this.

I also have problems to solve. The images I've used were stills taken from a 720x480 video program via Permiere 5.1. Each image is listed as 254(?) in size but I don't know if this is actual size or the Mac memory allocation. Each is now 120x160 but I think they are going to take much too long to load. I checked out another book and found a reference to Graphic Converter (M), which is supposed to be capable of dealing with these images. I haven't recieved it yet but it was $30 +$10 shipping. It was written in Germany.

I agree that HTML looks pretty straightforward, but even so, it's got to be more complicated than letting Composure do it. I may have to use some of it yet.

I use GraphicConverter as well. Their are 60+ supported graphic formats. Even if you don't have a website it's a great utility to have around.

Back