• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wanna know the most popular board used for

Which forum do you use for post2host services ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krakjoe

stop staring
NLC
Post2Host sites that use a forum please vote here, my life depends on it !

if it's one you don't see mention it please ...

Why does your life depend on it? :S Is someone gonna shoot you if you don't use their preferred choice?

IMO if you are running the show, choose what you are most comfortable and/or familar with. You are doing the backend work not those that want hosting.

I figure theres no point in devloping a software that no one will ever use, so I'd thought I'd ask.

Clearly, no-ones life depends on it, I was just trying to get ppl to answer ....

My choice is phpbb

IPB - crap & buggy subscription handling. Not open source, hence insecure. Possibly the most insecure of all the choices. Few mods & skins.

vBulletin - buggy subscription handles, although more secure than IPB, still nowhere near as secure as open-source alternatives. Contains a nice amount of features, but is let down by the huge cost.

SMF - Most buggy of all. Awkward skins. Fairly secure. Not as many features.

MyBB - Very nice, secure and clean. I like it a lot. Unfortunately, not as big of a community as....

phpbb - the power of open source, means it's very secure, it has plenty of features, although I prefer to think of vanilla phpbb as a "base" you can make into anything you want using the countless hundreds of mods and skins available.

Olympus (phpbb3) is an absolute rocker, which will send vBulletin and IPB out of business easily. Don't miss out on it by using a different forum, beta3 is available, and the RC can't be too far away :)

phpBB: has no truck with the notion of 'CSS' or 'web standards' at all (XHTML? huh? what happened to <font>?)

is it good [now] to use olympus ?

(by good I mean safe and not very buggy)

No!!!! Buggy or not buggy, safe or unsafe, they will probably not provide upgrade paths from the current beta version, just like they didn't with the previous betas.

I remember one guy who offered phpbb3 hosting, when it was in beta1...I told him what an idiot he was, and now there's no way for him to upgrade to the latest. Oh boy, did he get owned!

phpBB: has no truck with the notion of 'CSS' or 'web standards' at all (XHTML? huh? what happened to <font>?)

Thats gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

css, xhtml and web standards have nothing to do with phpbb. It is template specific.

Last edited:
In my opinion, phpBB is way more buggy than any other forum I ever used, you have to install a thousand mods to have it work the way you want it too, I don't like it, it just feels bloated :S

I reckon out of the open-source forums, the best by far is MyBB, it's easy to work with, administrate, use, code for, it's all round well written, that's because they have 5 writers ( or something ), all thinking the same way, but phpBB, they have 100's of developers that all wanna get thier ideas in in every single release, hence the bloatedness.

To the person that asked if it was okay to use a beta software, the answer would be no, not if you care about your site, it's more trouble than it's worth, install it in a sub-dir have a look, but because it's beta the next version may be totally incompatible with the version you have, loadsa things might and most probably will change, and then you'll be back at square one when they announce that someone has found an exploit and they release a security update whiich is inevitable.....

The thing is, if it's open source can't people work exploits in easier?

Plus phpBB has none of the advanced features of VB or IPB, most of all things like RSS and FastReply.

Last edited:
yep theres that too, but then IPB and vB aren't encoded, so exploiting them is just as easy .....

In my opinion, phpBB is way more buggy than any other forum I ever used

IPB is much worse IMO. I've never noticed any bugs in phpbb, except a few versions earlier the quoting didn't work properly. But it took me like 2 mins ot fix that.

you have to install a thousand mods to have it work the way you want it too, I don't like it, it just feels bloated :S

Thats contradicting. If you have to install a thousand mods, you must mean it has few features, which is the opposite of bloated.

I reckon out of the open-source forums, the best by far is MyBB, it's easy to work with, administrate, use, code for, it's all round well written, that's because they have 5 writers ( or something ), all thinking the same way, but phpBB, they have 100's of developers that all wanna get thier ideas in in every single release, hence the bloatedness.

Thats also false.

phpbb has about as few developers. phpbb3 was written by 3 people, and in the last few months they added 2 more, because they wanted it done quicker.

The thing is, if it's open source can't people work exploits in easier?

Also false.

With open source, phpbb has hundreds of thousands of people looking for bugs and exploits. vBulletin and IPB couldn't compete if they hired 1000 developers.

This makes the phpbb codebase MUCH more secure.

And if you want to hack a forum, getting either vbulletin or ipb source code is dead easy. In fact I have both on my comp right now. Not that I use it. I just have it to prove a point - it's very easy to get if you want it.

Plus phpBB has none of the advanced features of VB or IPB, most of all things like RSS and FastReply.

It's called quickreply, and it's very easy to add. Or you could use easymod, which would add it automatically.

I spose it's down to the individual, which is why I started the thread / poll, all I know is the only forum software ( that's free ) that I ever installed without having to add or change anything is MyBB and when I install a board that's what I want, I don't want to spend my time uploading and download files, editing and finding, making backups and all that rubbish, I want to open the board pick and start using it, if I install a program, and then have to change 20 odd files to install mods that should be there from the off, then that's bloated, definately.

phpBB's codebase is no more or less secure than IPB or vB thier source code is available for all of them, nothin is compiled, so if you put your mind to it you can hack any of them as easy as the next. Possibly because phpbb actually allow free downloads of thier source code they are at a disadvantage, but once the code is infront of you, it's all the same.

No No No - phpbb is more secure! Didn't you read anything I said?

Anyway, regarding MyBB, it's definitely the best choice after phpbb (imo), so if you prefer a less hands-on approach, then definately MyBB is best for you.

PHPBB Sucks =P bugs
vBulliten is good but slow
IPB's Good and nice
Mybb Nice.
SMF Good but bugs

I Would use ethier Mybb, SMF or IPB.

However im working on my own Forum Software Called "SFEF"

Simple Fast Easy Forum.

Thanks,

Off course, vBulletin is the best because it's license is way more expense than any other forum software. Also, vBulletin is not much more secure and hackers don't have an easy way of getting into vBulletin's core. Regardless of the fact that people null this software, I would say vBulletin is the best.

And why is MyBB even trying? LOL, I mean the competition is already so tight and they just want to star their own package?

Back