• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS streaming

Dark Matter

Could you use a cheap VPS to stream to justin.tv 24/7?

I used an online calculator, if the bitrate was 1mb/s, 1 viewer (because you are uploading to justin.tv) it would use 313.497GB bandwidth per month

Just did a quick search and seen a VPS for £10 a month 700gb bandwidth per month..

I would run my own server as i have a pretty damn good upstream speed, but my isp hasn't got back to me about any fair use policy and the cost of electricity to run, it would most likely be cheaper to pay for a small server..

Many thanks :)

You shouldn't really have a problem streaming to Justin.tv with a VPS. I have many clients that have their own popular SHOUTcast servers and they never have problems. I know both are different but they're still streaming.

I think it worth to have a conversation with your prospective web hosting provider. Ask them what they think about that. Perhaps they will be able to suggest you better deal?

Back