• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPNs?

TaiLZ

I've had a quick search on google for Virtual Private Networks so i can browse the web without the cache of my isp and the isp sometimes has blocked sites.

I was wondering if you could recommend any UK VPN Providers?

A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that uses a public telecommunication infrastructure, such as the Internet, to provide remote offices or individual users with secure access to their organization's network. A virtual private network can be contrasted with an expensive system of owned or leased lines that can only be used by one organization. The goal of a VPN is to provide the organization with the same capabilities, but at a much lower cost.

A VPN works by using the shared public infrastructure while maintaining privacy through security procedures and tunneling protocols such as the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). In effect, the protocols, by encrypting data at the sending end and decrypting it at the receiving end, send the data through a "tunnel" that cannot be "entered" by data that is not properly encrypted. An additional level of security involves encrypting not only the data, but also the originating and receiving network addresses.

A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that uses a public telecommunication infrastructure, such as the Internet, to provide remote offices or individual users with secure access to their organization's network. A virtual private network can be contrasted with an expensive system of owned or leased lines that can only be used by one organization. The goal of a VPN is to provide the organization with the same capabilities, but at a much lower cost.

A VPN works by using the shared public infrastructure while maintaining privacy through security procedures and tunneling protocols such as the Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). In effect, the protocols, by encrypting data at the sending end and decrypting it at the receiving end, send the data through a "tunnel" that cannot be "entered" by data that is not properly encrypted. An additional level of security involves encrypting not only the data, but also the originating and receiving network addresses.

Nice work Mr. Wikipedia....I don't think he asked for a definition. Read the question.

I would recommend a free proxy or a paid proxy instead of a VPN. VPN would serve the purpose but quite possibly provide more latency (and much more expensive) considering the encryption used, you are better off with SSL for speed.

Last edited:
Virtual private networks (VPNs) are a fairly quixotic subject; there is no single defining product, nor even much of a consensus among VPN vendors as to what comprises a VPN. Consequently, everyone knows what a VPN is, but establishing a single definition can be remarkably difficult. Some definitions are sufficiently broad as to enable one to claim that Frame Relay qualifies as a VPN when, in fact, it is an overlay network. Although an overlay network secures transmissions through a public network, it does so passively via logical separation of the data streams.

VPNs provide a more active form of security by either encrypting or encapsulating data for transmission through an unsecured network. These two types of security—encryption and encapsulation—form the foundation of virtual private networking. However, both encryption and encapsulation are generic terms that describe a function that can be performed by a myriad of specific technologies. To add to the confusion, these two sets of technologies can be combined in different implementation topologies. Thus, VPNs can vary widely from vendor to vendor.

This chapter provides an overview of building VPNs using the Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP), and it explores the possible implementation topologies.

VPNs provide a more active form of security by either encrypting or encapsulating data for transmission through an unsecured network. These two types of security—encryption and encapsulation—

Wrong. Encryption and Authentication provide security. "Encapsulation" is a side effect, not a security feature.

I don't care what Cisco says.

Back