• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vorbis Goes Gold

Coolin

NL[C]
NLC
For those of you who know about the Ogg Vorbis audio compression format would probably like to know that Vorbis has now gone out of Release Candidate status and has reached 1.0! If you haven't heard about Vorbis, it is a music compression format that offers superior compression to MP3/WMA/Real Audio and all those other proprietary codecs. Also Vorbis is completely open source and will never have ugly patents and DRM all over it.

Here's what the head developer, Monty said.
The code went 'gold' tonight. Vorbis 1.0 is in CVS and it's time to
hand off to release engineering.

I've updated the vendor strind in the libvorbis code, but all other
instances of version number need to be updated as well. I know this
is set in a million places, for autoconf, debian, redhat, Mac and Win
projects, etc...

This is the real 1.0. Mark as such before building.

The official release will occur on Sunday, but all the code is final.

What's a the extension for Vorbis encoded files? MP3 has a nice smooth name. WMA does not. An OGG?

Vorbis' extension is .ogg...

I'm not sure if that's smooth or not, but the format is undoubtedly superior when it comes to bitrates lower than 160. Over that, and Musepack would take over all other codecs. But Musepack has like zero support outside of its community.

Back