• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vista Boot Issue

Volt.Networks

Bolded!
NLC
Oy, so my laptop decides to stop booting this morning. It gets to the Microsoft loading screen but just stays there.

I tried safe mode, didn't work. I tried booting with the Vista CD, which doesn't get me anywhere either. Did a hard drive test and that passed. Restored my BIOS to default settings which didn't do anything either.

My last option is to restore to factory settings but I'd rather exhaust my options first since I haven't gotten a chance to back up some files from the laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Tried turning it off and back on? Did you install some new software? Do you have a 2nd harddrive, external?

Turned it off/on several times. Recently installed a driver for the fingerprint scanner (as suggested by HP techs). Rebooted and it was fine. The following morning, it won't boot.

Rebooted with everything unplugged but still didn't work.

I'm looking into Hiren's BootCD. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unplug everything from the USB ports, if that doesn't work, try BartPE or Hirens BootCD.

Would BartPE work on a Vista computer, or should I be looking at VistaPE? I want to retrieve my files then I won't mind restoring the notebook to factory condition.

I took a look at some of the applications on Hiren's BootCD and I'm not sure any of those would help me at this point. I could create a partition and reinstall Windows to the new partition before accessing my files but BartPE sounds like a quicker easier alternative (if it works with Vista).

Last edited:
Try using the Recovery Console and do a "fixboot", "fixmbr" and a "chkdsk c: /r"

A quick google can show you how to do this with a bit more detail. Let me know how it works.

Try using the Recovery Console and do a "fixboot", "fixmbr" and a "chkdsk c: /r"

A quick google can show you how to do this with a bit more detail. Let me know how it works.

I can't even get to the recovery console :(
I put in the Vista DVD then turn on the notebook. I choose to boot from CD/DVD. It says "Window's loading files" like it's loading from the DVD. After that, it just goes back to the Microsoft loading page.

VistaPE only gets to the "Windows Vista" loading screen too.

Maybe my Vista DVD I used is scratched or something?

Hiren's BootCD loads but I don't think any of those utilities can help me right now. I might be overlooking some applications on Hiren's BootCD though. Any other suggestions?

Finally got a solution! A friend of mine suggested Linux (specifically Knoppix) so I created a live CD that works! I'm in the process of copying my whole hard drive over to an external one.

Hmm, I'm considering setting up a dual boot now, if I can find the proper drivers. Well, since problem solved, I guess this topic can be closed.

Finally got a solution! A friend of mine suggested Linux (specifically Knoppix) so I created a live CD that works! I'm in the process of copying my whole hard drive over to an external one.

Hmm, I'm considering setting up a dual boot now, if I can find the proper drivers. Well, since problem solved, I guess this topic can be closed.
That's why I asked if you have an external one!

NewEgg.com has awesome prices on external hard drives .... IIRC there was a 500GB Seagate for $89 a while back.

NewEgg.com has awesome prices on external hard drives .... IIRC there was a 500GB Seagate for $89 a while back.

I got a Western Digital 1TB for $180, before tax, which isn't a bad deal.

Well, I still can't fix Vista, not sure why. I tried to do a clean install but the option isn't there. I put in the Vista CD and the page loads saying "Windows loading files"

Once its done, it just goes back to the Microsoft loading screen (where it's getting ready to load Windows) but never goes anywhere.

I already wiped the hard drive with a live CD and reformatted, created a new partition and everything. No idea how to fix that...

I managed to install Kubuntu on it so I'm using that for now, but unfortunately I need Vista...

At least I have something usable and managed to retrieve my files but am kinda stuck at this point :(

Back