• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Viewing SSI offline?

Anayet

Apart from using Apache, is there any other way of viewing pages that use Server Side Includes, Offline, instead of having to upload them first?

Thanks

A long time ago, back in my Windows days, I had written a program to parse .shtml files for local testing/development. I then associated .shtml files with it. The program simply processed includes and launched the resulting output in the default browser...

I wish I could help more, but I no longer have this program (or even that windows partition for that matter), but if you know anything about programming, this could be done in just a few lines of C...

The one I had written simply opened any file referenced by an "include file=", and I had hard-coded a document root for "include virtual=" requests. I then output the results to an html file in the temp directory. Then, simply call a ShellExecute() on the output file.

I'm sure if you were to search places like Download.com etc, you might find something like this; you and I can't be the only ones who have needed something like this at some point :)

Yup

:eek: Oh but thier is.. If you use dreamweaver, you can just go preview the page (file, preview)
You can get dw for free actually, you can download it at macromedia.com (the trial)

Re: Yup

Which version are you talking about, cause i have Dreamweaver 3 and that option ain't there:biggrin2: (ssi viewing i mean)

The section about cracking Dreamweaver was removed. Please do not discuss how to track a program in that manner.

I'm not sure that Dreamweaver supports SSI viewing offline. I think all it does is insert the small symbol to say SSI was there.

Perhaps what he was thinking about was Dreamweavers template system. If you create a basic template for your site then you can define what regions are editable and save the template.

Then if you make a few pages with that template and realize you had a navigation error you update the template and it asks you if you wish to update all the pages that rely on the template. In a way that takes care of most peoples need for SSI and then the server doesn't have to process the pages for SSI. I'm not real sure this is necessarily a better way but it might have been what he had in mind.

I'm not sure that Dreamweaver supports SSI viewing offline.

No it doesn't

I think all it does is insert the small symbol to say SSI was there.

No, that is when you view the page in dreamweaver, in the browser preview it just displays nothing, not unless you have a webserver installed on ur system.

side note : Long time no see in this forum todd! ;)

I should have clarified that it only shows the SSI icon in the page layout preview and not when you preview it in the browser.

Apart from setting up a webserver locally and previewing it off of that which would process the SSI's I'm not sure what you can do. The templates feature would probably be the easiest if viewing it locally is an absolute requirement.

Reply to LastActionHero: Thanks, I don't have to visit this specific section often because there usually aren't many rule violations here. :)

Originally posted by Todd
Thanks, I don't have to visit this specific section often because there usually aren't many rule violations here. :)
Thank god I reported it, or you might have never seen it! :D

Maybe if I get some time, I'll fire up Windows and VC++ and whip up a quick freeware ap with an installer... just a simple SSI parser for Windows...

Back