• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Usually, I'm not one of those people that goes the extra mile for a good deal

Nick

NLC
...but my lack of things to do during the week this summer has driven me to playing lots of video games, even after spending time with the girlfriend and working. Well, in case you haven't noticed, video games aren't exactly cheap these days.

Honestly, I can afford a $60 game. It's not that big of a deal. My consulting job and websites roll in enough pocket money as it is, not to mention moonlighting as Patrick Swayze on the weekends.

However, I'm plowing through games left and right lately with all my new found free time, so if I can get around paying that much it's probably a good idea. Especially since you can beat a game so quickly these days. Two $60 games a week is definitely an expensive hobby.

So what's a guy to do? Target has a Buy 2 Get 1 Free going on PlayStation3 games. I only want one game though. Hmmm.

:idea:

I went and bought the two games and got one free tonight. The two other games are recently released and popular titles. I am now selling the two extras on Craigslist at a slight "loss" on the retail price so I get the game I wanted for roughly $25 instead of $60.

Now it's time to hear what you all have done just to make out with a good deal to downplay my own thriftyness.

Go!

What about playing online games so you don't go through them so quickly :)

Not really into FPS games, so that usually keeps me from playing multiplayer much as most of the big ones fall into that genre. I do play some games online, but mostly I like to beat the story mode and move on. A lot of times, I beat it at least twice to get as many of the trophies/achievements as I can, but the games are still short so even that doesn't drastically slow down moving from game to game.

I'll be the one that isn't mean.

...That was a really smart idea, and you're smarter than I am, for I would not have thought about that.

Catchoftheday.com.au, kind of like woot.com, were selling netbooks yesterday pretty cheap.

I didn't really need one, nor was I looking forward to typing on the little keyboard. However, this model retails in Australia for about $900.. they were selling for $660. On top of $240 discount, the Education Tax Refund would help me get back 50% of the cost .'. costing about $330. How could I say no? The government would for me.

The extra mile part was that I didn't quite qualify for the refund, but one of my relatives did. So I got them to buy it for me; with my own money, of course. This particular family member asked me sometime ago to build a $500 computer for them which I had completely forgot about. So this morning I went to the best/cheapest computer parts place in town and got there 30 mins before it opened (because their lines routinely run out the door) so I'd be first in line. Unfortunately, they were out of DVD drives, so I had to drive to the next best place and wait there for a good hour just to pick up a dvd drive.

Built it, installed windows, a bunch of useful apps, even drove it to their house, removed their old broken pc, set up the new one, all before they'll even get home from work tonight.

All for 70% off a netbook I really didn't even need...

and the best part, if I end up not liking the netbook, I'll be able to sell it for a profit.

Last edited:
Back