• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

user-to-server ratio

Eddo

I was currious on what an acceptable user-to-server ratio. I am currently with www.hostica.com And they told me their ratio was 500:1. Seems a little high... i've heard of companies sticking with 150:1 But i guess it really depends on if you have a large multi-processor sever with gigs of RAM or just a tiny litte p4 box. My site seem pretty quick and responsive, however i have't got a chance to test it really. So anyone have any comments on user-to-server ratio??:confused:

it all depends on the size of account,
but with our most popular account, 500MB space and 5GB bandwith, as an average,
our ratio would be 75 accounts per server,
this is on a 1.3GHz with 512MB RAM,
a server like this should be able to handle a few hundred, but with 75 accounts we are keeping the server speedy whilst still retaining enough profit,

I am looking at about a 100-250 meg account with around 10gigs of transfer. 75 to 1 seems pretty good, but nice. Keeps things nice and speedy. To bad you guys are a UK host :( Your site is really quick especially for being on the other side of the pond, but i think it is best is stick with a US server considering most of my traffic will be US based.

only the business address is in the UK,
all our servers are based in the US, you can check this by running a traceroute,

Wow.. only 9 hops to your webhost?!?! That is alot better than some of the 16-22 hops i have seen.

Just a few more questions for you

1) Do you offer remote MySQL connection? So i can use a program like MySQL-Font to manage the databse.

2) What about SSH access for un-taring files?

Finally, i was looking at your budget reseller account. Cause i need to host 2 domains and looking at a possible 3rd. And the bandwidth seems to fit what i will be needing and is a very reasonable price. Now do i have to have some special credentials to sign up for a reseller account. I do not intend on selling any hosingt just making sure i have a little room to grow.

Yes we do allow remote MySQL connections,
I can just set you up with a wildcard host for your user,
and yes we do offer SSH access,
No you do not need any special credentials to have a reseller account, we already have many users who just use their accounts for personal use,
any more questions please dont hesitate to email me at sales@allabouthosting.co.uk
thanks

Top site scripts are likely to use an unacceptable amount of resources and are therefore not allowed on our servers.

Message boards are allowed on our servers, but customers should be aware that if they become popular they are likely to use a large amount of system resources. We therefore recommend running PHP message boards as they are usually less resource intensive.

I got these two quote from your TOS.. i don't know if your hosting really fits me. One of my site is going to be a heavy traffic bulliten board site, and probably with some top scripts running. :(

that statement is only for our cpanel plans, as that is on a reseller account due to us having very low requests for cpanel accounts,
we do allow your scripts on our ensim server though,
although we would prefer it if you would use a php forum instead of a CGI one,
we dont mind you having a top site script either :)

I was definetly planning on using a PHP, MySQL driven forum. I was looking at phpBB2, IBF, and YaBB. If you have any comments on which are probably the least heavy on the webserver? I have give some though to purchacing UBB threads. I took them for a test drive and they where really fast and easy to use.. i was impressed. But phpBB seems quite speedy too.

As far as top side scripts. Well i know that can be a problem for slowing down sites, espcially poorly written ones. That is why on my main traffic site i am going to try and keep it as clean as possible. But i will inevidable use some. My other site, which is more of a personal site only gets about 30 unqite hits and about 200-300 page impression per day. More of a personal site so i don't think that will be too much of a problem.

My main traffic site i am possibly expecting as much as 20-30 visitors on the site at a given time. I am assuming most of the traffic will be via the forum. However, I want to start out kind of on the small side and upgrade if neccesay, because i am really not to sure on if it will take off. But i have a good feeling that it will, but i need to wait and see.

either of these message boards will be fine,
we will even help you set one up if you would like,
our server is very low loaded at the moment so I doubt that your top site scripts will add much to the load,
thanks

Originally posted by Daniel
YaBB takes up lots of resources...

Yes i personally think YaBB feels a little slow. I like IBF because of all the rich features, but that has definetly got to slow it down some when compared with phpBB. However i love ubb.threads If i have $229 laying around i might just but a licenced copy. :D I like vB but if i was going to but i forum i would spend the little extra and get ubb.threads

And by the way jimcarter I am really liking how your hosting plans sounds 75:1, 9 hops for me. Very competitve prices. Giving some serious though.. and if the tech support is as quick as you reply to these threads, well that is another definite plus.

*edit: I can't speak english sometimes =p

I find UBB is a waste, vB is a much better bang for buck.

IBF and phpBB are the same in terms of speed, but IBF does indeed have more features..

IBF and phpBB are the same in terms of speed, but IBF does indeed have more features..

Hmm.. tanks for the tips :D

No problem. :) But if you look at it, vB is only $80 a year as opposed to $229 for UBB. So which is the bigger risk?

No problem. :) But if you look at it, vB is only $80 a year as opposed to $229 for UBB. So which is the bigger risk?

You definetly have a point there. Are there conversion scripts from lets say
phpBB -> vB
IBF --> vB

Also, is vB signficantly faster than phpBB or IBF? Because if it was i think i would still start out with phpBB or IBF and then switch if my site takes off like i hope it does :D

There is a couple of coverters for phpBB2 > vB

I don't know about IBF but you can always do

IBF > phpBB2 > vB

As for speed, look at this forum. :) vB is quite fast, doesn't stress the server, and efficient. :)

There is a couple of coverters for phpBB2 > vB

I don't know about IBF but you can always do

IBF > phpBB2 > vB

As for speed, look at this forum. :) vB is quite fast, doesn't stress the server, and efficient. :)

I noticed.. this quite a large community.. and running really smooth. I always love how vB page load are so quick.. most vB site i have been too are always really responsive. Unless there is some sort of server problem

IBF is also more resource intense. It depends on what you are looking for. I plan to run a medium size community so I went with phpBB2.

Originally posted by Archbob

IBF is also more resource intense. It depends on what you are looking for. I plan to run a medium size community so I went with phpBB2.

I knew it had to be more resourse intensive.. just make more sence. More features=more resource. I have been looking at vB and liking it. I think i might give it a try

Back