• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Uptime guarantee

100% uptime is entirely possible but all depends on the way the hardware is setup, what redundancy is configured and so on. If you are talking a single dedicated server though it's going to be hard to offer a solid guarantee. If using raid 10 then drive failures are less of a worry however what if the CPU or Ram pop? It then comes down to how fast it can be replaced and brought back up. Might be 10 mins but could be 6 hours which heavily impacts on the uptime.

%100 uptime is impossible right now because of technology limitation.
heaven amazon cloud don't provide that.

%100 uptime, no way, it's can't be done
it's up to network & server hardware & server software - do i think it's impossible to do that.

Uptime guarantee is given by the host to promote there business. Not a single Web hosting company can provide 100% uptime guarantee.

Uptime guarantee is used for marketing. Normally, Hosting providers mention that they provide 99.95% uptime guarantee but many of them fail to provide it. This might be due to hardware, attacks, spamming or some other issues. But the major concern is solution for it and how can the website come live within less duration.

I believe the samething. Its kind of hard to predict the uptime. But i guess people always tend to look the uptime history before getting in any hosting.

Think 99.9 is the very least nowadays to be an acceptable web hosting company.. thus you'll never see anything less (i.e. 98% or less), even if it may be a possibility

I don't think you understand what the guarantee means, OP. It doesn't necessarily mean the web host will be up 99.9% of the time. It means if its not up said %, you get some kind of credit.

I don't think you understand what the guarantee means, OP. It doesn't necessarily mean the web host will be up 99.9% of the time. It means if its not up said %, you get some kind of credit.
That would be if the host offers an SLA (Service Level Agreement).

[JSH]John;1179276 said:

Doesn't make sense to offer a uptime guarantee without it....in my mind anyway. But you're right. Some do not. They just flash the guarantee.

[JSH]John;1179276 said:

You're right. Makes no sense to have a uptime guarantee without one, but we know some do just that.

Most ideal condition is considered as to 99.9%
But 100% is not impossible at all. They are very rare and finding them are really difficult.

Five 9's implies no less than 5 minutes of downtime per year, so 100% would mean 0 minutes of downtime over the course of a year.
Is nothing more than a marketing ploy for luring customers.

Five 9's implies no less than 5 minutes of downtime per year, so 100% would mean 0 minutes of downtime over the course of a year.
Is nothing more than a marketing ploy for luring customers.

Maybe with some people it's a marketing ploy. There are companies out there that actually come very close to 100% uptime. ;)

Back