• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Upgrading my graphics card, need some advise.

ashish

Hi ppl,

need some help... i am planning to upgrade my video card to something newer....

I have a ATI X800 128 MB AGP.... and am using the Intel 925X MB.

I know that this MB does not support DDR3 RAM. But does that mean it wont support a DDR3 graphics card.

More importantly, what sort of card will this support? Some examples would be appreciated.

I have a budget of AU$200-300. Planning to buy from eBay.

If you are still running on AGP, it might be a better idea to look into upgrading your motherboard to support PCI-Express x16. Dumping tons of $$ into a new AGP card is just funding a product already obsolete. PCI-E performs much better than the older AGP.

galactic, you have a point, except, if ashish was to upgrade the motherboard, then, he would also need:

RAM
Processor
and possibly new Hard drive(s) and disk drive(s)

most motherboards only support one IDE cable, if any at all now, and if he has an AGP video card, chances are, all his drives are IDE, and not Serial ATA, so, it will be a lot cheaper to get a new AGP card for now.

so, ashish, just drop about $120, and you can get a nice AGP for that. in the mean time, save for a new system.

guys.. my MB does support PCIe x16 graphics cards.. i am just not sure what type of card i should buy...i have a intel PIV 3.0 Ghz and 1 GB of RAM... so i am not looking to upgrade my PC for atleast another 6-8 months..

i didnt say to get a PCIexpress. i said...

"so, ashish, just drop about $120, and you can get a nice AGP for that. in the mean time, save for a new system"

Oh ok, that changes everything. Are you an ATI or Nvidia kind of guy? And does your power supply have the 6pin PCIe connector?

Also, the memory on the video card is totally independent. You can have GDD3 on your vid card and DDR RAM if you want.

Back