• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

unlimited bandwith........???

Unlimited bandwidth technically...DOES NOT EXIST

and...SSI means server-side includes.

What's the fastest connection on Earth? An OC-192, no? That's 10 Gbps. Is that unlimited! Hell no! :mad:

i dont know what you talkin about all i know is that they dont charge you for extra bandiwth to me that is unlimited

That's data transfer, not bandwidth. Bandwidth is the term for the connection. Even then, unlimited transfer cannot exist:

OC-192 speed * an entire month = 3,240,000 GB

Is that unlimited? I dont think so! :D

Originally posted by hessan
i dont know what you talkin about all i know is that they dont charge you for extra bandiwth to me that is unlimited

Of course, there is the ubiquitous disclaimer where you find out later that unlimited is actually severly limited...

From their T.O.S.:

"Unmetered Bandwidth - implies that the data transfer is not charged on a metered basis so long as it remains within reasonable expectations. (Deleted providers name) considers if any web site jeopardizes the security or system resources of our servers then we must limit their bandwidth as outlined in this Agreement"

"The client is required to have the entire site using less than 10% of the system resources on the server where the site is located."

Unlimited Bandwidth does not exist. That is why I refuse to list "unlimited" hosts in the highhosting directory.

Unmetered Bandwidth

On behalf of our company, I would like to say we do not advertise "Unlimited Bandwidth".

We advertise on our economy plans unmetered bandwidth. Basically, this means (in my words) unless your site is going to affect the performance of the server we will not charge you for 1.5GB/month or 8GB/month.

We do not try to trick or mislead customers about unmetered & unlimited bandwidth. We do advertise "unlimited" email accounts and a few other features which are unlimited. Most of our licensing (e.g. Imail) is unlimited so if you want to have 4 or 400 email accounts, there is no restriction.

The point of us running this promotion is to encourage web site designers and customers moving off free hosting providers -- to not be bounded by limitations when building and marketing their (or their client's) website.

In my opinion, the point of building a web site is to expand, develop, and attract visitors. When your site succeeds it is reasonable for a businessperson to conclude they need to upgrade to better suited plan for their changing needs.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Re: Unmetered Bandwidth

Originally posted by nexpoint
We advertise on our economy plans unmetered bandwidth. Basically, this means (in my words) unless your site is going to affect the performance of the server we will not charge you for 1.5GB/month or 8GB/month.

meter
tr.v. me·tered
2. To supply in a measured or regulated amount: metered the allotted gasoline to each vehicle.

pref. un-
Not; opposite of; contrary to

So put together, the definition of unmetered would be:

To supply in a not measured or not regulated amount.

The addition of, "unless your site is going to affect the performance of the server" means you regulate it in some way (and I should hope you would for the sake of the other sites on the server). While it is easier to put 'unmetered' in the table cell next to the plan, I know of no host who offers unlimited nor unmetered bandwidth allowances. The term is used incorrectly, and the site should say metered.

I'll add that I don't care if you change it or not, I'm just making a small point.

Unmetered Bandwidth

Chicken,

If I set a site to 5% of resources on the server is the bandwidth metered still?

Example:
A person transferring text files could reach 40GB before it reaches 5% CPU usage.

A different person running a database application could reach 5GB when it reachs 5% CPU usage.

Is the bandwidth metered? I believe not.

Resources must always be limited to ensure other users the same Quality of Service which they are paying equally for.

Well, my interpretation is that yes, it would still be metered, the limitation being the 5%. If you consider that no matter what, usage must be regulated by some factor.

reg·u·late
tr.v. To control or direct according to rule, principle, or law.

also:
1. To adjust by rule, method, or established mode; to direct by rule or restriction.

I believe that you are adjusting (allowing more transfer or not), based on the 5% rule/restriction.

I don't feel the terms unmetered or unlimited relate to web hosting very well. A new word is needed to describe what you are talking about (which I fully understand). I'll look for it and see if I can come up with something.

'Resource Based Limit' is too long (maybe 'RBL' ???), and doesn't sound extremely attractive I'll admit, though it is the most accurate phrase I can think of off the top of my head. '100 Gigs or 5% CPU' ???

Last edited:
So the hosts claiming to offer "unlimited" bandwidth or "unmetered" data transfer should advertise: "Just use as much as you can."

Problem solved. :D

Back