• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Understanding Free Web Host Philosophy

But if you really need concrete evidences then try to search for footprints of "Unmetered Society" - unmeteredsociety.com or "Free Web Hosts Alliance" - freewebhostsalliance.com.

I am not interested in "evidences" from past failed businesses or vanished organizations. I do not think others would be interested in such evidence either.

A dedicated server? Are you trying to generalize a whole industry from your research based from hosting free websites on one single dedicated server? I stand by my statement that your research only deals with the very low end of the spectrum only. It doesn't mean to say what you did was unnecessary, it may be of interest to some others.

Loved the references to "The Charge of the Light Brigade" - my favorite from Tennyson. Also the Google ending :classic2:.

This is very true - I tried running a free web hosting service myself. The lure of being 'teh hostlurdzs' was very intriguing, but it was filled with abusive members. I had to shut down because one of them put copyrighted content up and a member of the MAFIAA put a cease-and-desist letter up my...

Anyone who wants to make a free web hosting service - read this guide. A fine post by Efil.

I am not interested in "evidences" from past failed businesses or vanished organizations. I do not think others would be interested in such evidence either.

A dedicated server? Are you trying to generalize a whole industry from your research based from hosting free websites on one single dedicated server? I stand by my statement that your research only deals with the very low end of the spectrum only. It doesn't mean to say what you did was unnecessary, it may be of interest to some others.

I thought you were looking for evidences so I tried to point you to where you can get one. And nah, they were not "failed businesses" nor "vanished organizations", if you will read my post, what I was trying to relate is that they where "experiments" to generate sufficient data. Data that will become a reference for such conclusions.

Also, I think you also misunderstood the fact that dedicated servers from SurfSpeedy, Liquid Web, etc. were also used, although the sites I've mentioned above were hosted mostly in pixelFX solutions. Go ask Mr. Google and the rest of the search gangs, for what is their purpose otherwise?

Efil, I've read this post again and again. It is very thought-provoking indeed.

The addiction of web hosting can be considered as a sub-category of Internet addiction, along with MMORPG, online gambling and online chat addictions, which all involve annonymous interactions with other people. Even though web hosting is more dealing with technical practices, it has now evolved into something social, something with addicting factors similar to other Internet addictions that I just mentioned (MMORPG, chat etc). Such "social" aspect being raised in web hosting is notable in this freewebspace.net community.

I don't have the "hostlord" approach as I'm lazy enough to notice that managing a hosting service requires a great deal of concentration that pays nothing back at the end. However I'm a free web space addict who constantly browse for free hosting services like shopping. It makes me feel good and funny inside to own many awesome hosting accounts, like how some people own many e-mail addresses just for the sake of it.

I've seen many free hosting communities with large variety of users: polite, task-oriented, social, abusive, quiet, inactive, rude, busy webmasters, etc etc you name it. All web hosting service providers have to expect all these kinds of people come to your virtual door, especially when freebies attract more abusers, but many who establish free hosting services have the "hostlord" approach overwhelmed their mind.

Some free hosting offers are notably immature, like Starcraftmazter puts it - "silly kiddy hosts". I won't comment on grammar and spellings on the free web hosting offers as there are many international providers who are simply not fluent in English - I'm talking about their TOS. Yes I do read all TOS of any free hostings that I come across, and you should too. "Kiddy hosts" can be best identified from their TOS/rules and FAQ section - if they ever got one. This statement is only false when you tell me that there are international providers who don't know that it is inappropriate to use profanity/aggressive terms in TOS. Even in the offering advertisement - in forum posts or at their service website - you can identify immature or aggressive expressions coming from a native English speaker.

Those kind of free services with obvious lack of dedications make me think "why do they even bother to offer their services for free?". Efil has made a lot of sense about this with the "hostlord" theory.

Of course, the Internet is also a large world with many possibilities. There ARE dedicated free hosting services out there, often behind the disguise of limitations that usually drive people away such as big-brother resource usage monitoring (strict check on bandwidth, contents etc), quality forum posts requirements, low upload limits and last but not least, ad-support. In my opinion, a real good free hosting would know its limits and keep itself humble and strict to prevent resource overload from having too many users, perhaps before the admin's generous server upgrade.

Great post Efil. Cookie for you.

And... flame on :p

I have a VPS already so yes it does make sense :). Rather likewise to you ;). Anyway, no one was attacking but you ;).

No, It dont.. Maths!
And its true, you can get profit out of ads, some Web hosts with just 100 members are getting about $15 of adsense a month - its not a bad start. So, your theory is wrong. Anyone will click ads if they are interesting enough!
50-15=35
That means your negative 35$ if you had a 50$ VPS (You will need a 50$ vps for 100 people, if your gaining $15/month from ads)

Coda to Manual of Hosting - Sunset?

"Firefox can't find the server at www.waterseven.com."

4 months ago Mr. Leiv posted a notice about some server changes he was doing. What has happened to his company since, and what does that do for the context of his leadoff article in this thread?

Back