• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ultrabitt.com

Has this policy of no domain transfer before sign up now been put in place? I applied to ultrabitt.com for domain hosting on Thursday 25, put in a DNS transfer to point to their nameservers on Friday 26.

I just received an email tonight (Monday 29) telling me my account has been deleted (before the transfer was complete) and ultabitt.com is now a default Apache index page.

Too good to last, or a radical year zero?:(

yea I was one of the first people to know about ultrabitt.com, well judging by how many people were registered to on their forums, there were only about 10 topics in the forums in total when I registered last week. Earlier today there were a couple of hundred in each section of the boards.

I signed up for an account over the weekend and I couldnt believe my luck. Every thing seemed perfect. I worked hard at transferring my site over to ultrabitt, and I set up a new phpbb (which I made quite a lot of time consuming alterations to) and did several other bits and pieces - taking advantage of the features the account had to offer.

Now I go to check on my site about 10 minutes ago and I find that its not working, i didnt panic at first. Thinking that maybe it was just a bit of downtime which I can understand.

But just to make sure I checked my email, and then I saw the dreaded you account has been deleted email. The reason it gave was - "Scheduled maintenence" - which seems like a strange reason. :cry2:

Anyway I hope to god there has been some mistake and that all of us who run sites in accordance to ultrabitt's policies get our accounts back

BTW I cant seem to access any page on Ultrabitt's website besides the main index page.

I got the exact same email. I had already transfered over my domain name right after I signed up on the 26th and I got the email today that said my account was deleted because of "scheduled maintenence" I've followed all their guidelines and my site gets deleted??? I hope this is just an error on ultrabitt.com's part

Originally posted by El_Nino
I got the exact same email. I had already transfered over my domain name right after I signed up on the 26th and I got the email today that said my account was deleted because of "scheduled maintenence" I've followed all their guidelines and my site gets deleted??? I hope this is just an error on ultrabitt.com's part
Probably since they want the domain to already be pointing to their nameservers (it takes a few days or so for the domain to be updated), when the script went checking, it wasn't correct. So therefore they deleted your account. :)

It is not a scam. Mark And John are good people, who have enough money from another site they own (not mentioning) to start a free hosting service. They thaught that by making it so you needed a domain name, it would last. It would've, had DjG not come in here an blabbed about how you dont need one.

Originally posted by ShakiraFan

Probably since they want the domain to already be pointing to their nameservers (it takes a few days or so for the domain to be updated), when the script went checking, it wasn't correct. So therefore they deleted your account. :)
Yeah, I was using their nameservers for my domain so I dont know why I was deleted. Maybe it was because it wasn't propagated yet or something. Once their website comes back online (doesn't work for me now), I'll have to email them.

Have you even read anything in the past thread. They are down. You all ruined it. Everyone who signed up, gave wrong info, didn't have a domain, ruined it for everyone who was trying to get in.

Ragzzz, not everyone who signed up gave false info. I myself own http://access-failure.net , which was being hosted on ultrabitt until now. I am incredibly angry right now with all the losers that figured it would be fun to give a fake domain to get the free service.

Same here, my domain name is legit, registerd in my name and I signed up at ultrabitt.com with all the correct info.

same heree... ther are still honest people alive in this world... so dont keep thinkin everyone tries to fool each other...
www.activemx.com
i think the UB is down though... though i have been very happy with their service....

I'm hoping I didn't inadvertently contribute to this too. I'm sure their guidelines didn't say I had to have fully changed the DNS for my domain name over before I signed up last Thursday.

It's a shame if things did get abused, I was even going to make a point of adding links to their sponsors, as it was a nice suprise to find such a well speced freesite after several Portland related experiences.

Can anyone help me out with their experience of free/low cost hosts we could consider to launch an independent record label site on a shoestring? I'm looking to mostly host plain HTML, with a couple of PHP scripts. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Uh oh

Hehe, just got mys ite working and everythings gone? :eek:

John, could you give us some updates perhaps? :confused2

Site Deleted By Ultrabitt

OK, I applied at Ultrabitt, I told then I own (and have done for some time) goldenpants.com and goldenpants.net

I told them my site is just for my friends to look at photos from down the pub/clubbing/out and about it's a totally friendly and legit site

I told them that my isp does not offer cgi and I wanted to set up a forum, I wanted to use ultrabitt to host and I would move my .net to their name servers.

They approaved my account in 2 hours! I spent 3 weeks building a forum which took a MASSIVE amount of effort!

I was just about to annouce to my members that I would be opening up this new exciting part of my site to my friends, and I got the following email:
Dear Paul Kingham,

Your domain, goldenpants.net, has been removed from our system
by an administrator.

Reason:

Scheduled maintenence

Sincerely,

Ultrabitt.com Account Services
THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE -- DO NOT REPLY

I don't understand? I wasn't warned of any maintenence, else I would have backed up my site.

I do not know if I will be able to return after the maintenence is complete or whether my 'friendly' site suddenly caused offence.

I am keen to know if this has happened in the past, but oobviously don't want to bad mouth if there is a plausable explanation.

Maybe there was a problem that 'HAD' to be fixed, I don't know.

Hopefully the chaps from Ultrabitt will read this thread, let us know what happened and stop all the bitchin

Here's hoping
Paul

Last edited:
Ultrabitt: Please update us!

I'll jump in,

I signed up on Thursday and spent the whole weekend working on a forum BBS, got it all uploaded, everything was working like a dream, I take off for college monday morning, come back home around 8pm, check the board which had already gotten 30members on sunday alone, and boom, dns error-no such server. I had the same feeling, maybe its some down time, I checked my email, got the same letter as the others here. I didn't know about any maintence, plus I had not backed up all of my new users and their messages..

Here is where I was using ultrabitt:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/forum.html
I have a message there telling my customers that I will get back to everyone once ultrabitt gets back up..

I hope its not discontinued and that it gets back up!

Mark- Update is please on ultrabitt's future!!

Thanks in advance,
BigMike

Back