• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Two Monitors

Hobo

I got a new computer and my G-Force FX 5200 supports dual monitors. (Not sure if that's the right term) Anyways, I plugged both of them in and got both of them as seperate windows, where I can look at full-size windows in either one where they don't overlap but the computer on the right doesn't have a toolbar. When I was setting it up I chose horizontal stretch so does that mean the toolbar only extends out on the first computer?

Also is there anyway or point to making games stretch out across the two monitors and other then looking neat is there any purpose to having them?

the only purpose would be for h4x0ring , i.e. Swordfish :p, designing stuff, where you need the screen space, or playing a game on one screen and having system stats on the other...

its pretty useless, but if u really want, just get a virtual window manager :)

The toolbar not being in the second monitor is a limitation of Windows. If you really want it, search for a program called UltraMon.

As for games, you wouldn't want it to stretch through 2 screens, as it would probably degrade video performance by alot as it needs to draw 2 monitors in full 3D mode instead of 1.

Haven't heard of many games supporting dual head but I think MS Flight sim does for that 'surround' feel :p but I can think of a few that would be bloody good if they did :)

Alright, right now I am using it for plaguririzin....... errrr working on school projects, so it does have some use. Also I can play games on one and pretend to do work on the other alt tabbing out of the game which has made my parents let me sit in front of my computer alot more.

I don't recall which game(s) support this but I have read that some games will use the second monitor just for information display purposes. Think of the options, a map display, current score list, air speed (and countless flight controls), team mate positions for co-op games, etc. It'd be nice to find a list of games out there. Anyone want to try to dig up a list? :)

Not directly related but I love some of these dual+ wallpapers: http://www.9xmedia.com/Pages-products/2000-Backgrounds.html

With Windows 2000, you can connect up to 10 displays to one system.

hell yes

need for speed supports multiple monitors. you can have one screen showing the front view, on screen showing the rear view, one screen showing the dashboard, etc..

tight flight sim

Last edited:
Originally posted by Hobo
other then looking neat is there any purpose to having them?
I couldn't use my computer anymore with just one monitor.. In any case where you find yourself alt-tabbing to another program to look something up to use in that one a second monitor will be useful.
Surfing while having your chat still open, documentation/help/tutorial site for a program on one, the program on the other. Programs that have a lot of screen clutter with properties windows, floating toolbars. Playing a movie or video clip fullscreen on one monitor while still working on the other, etc.

Re: Re: Two Monitors

Originally posted by CareBear
I couldn't use my computer anymore with just one monitor.. In any case where you find yourself alt-tabbing to another program to look something up to use in that one a second monitor will be useful.
Surfing while having your chat still open, documentation/help/tutorial site for a program on one, the program on the other. Programs that have a lot of screen clutter with properties windows, floating toolbars. Playing a movie or video clip fullscreen on one monitor while still working on the other, etc.

ok stop talking before you make everyone go out and buy another monitor and video card!

i use my tv as a second monitor, good for watching movies.. and i also made a cable that lets me use the audio output on my sound card that plugs into the input L and R channels of my tv... watching movies isn't too bad.. its like having a vcr again :D

Back