• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Turning off Work Proxy

Matt8

All? No, ALL!
NLC
So....my workplace now has a proxy in IE that doesn't let you go to fun sites. Thus far, I have been working around this using a portable version of Opera. (The actual Firefox process appears to have been blocked!). The trouble with this, is the portable version of Opera starts running very slow after a few weeks of using it, even after clearing out the cache. I realize I could get a faster thumb drive and that would probably make a difference...this seems like too much of a pain.

The option to turn off the proxy is grayed out so you can't turn it off and has the proxy address typed in. I attached a photo of my personal machine so you know which option I am talking about (naturally, it is not blocked out in my screenshot).

Anyone know of a sneaky way to just disable this? Its IE 6, because you know, most corporations work on really outdated insecure programs.

Thanks guys!

The reason why Bypass proxy server for local address is blured out is because "Use a proxy server" isn't enabled. Are you sure that you are behind a proxy/firewall and not a VPN? My college place has a VPN setup on it so once it boots up it is behind the VPN and can't be disabled because of OS permissions. I think it's called VNC or something.

The reason why Bypass proxy server for local address is blured out is because "Use a proxy server" isn't enabled. Are you sure that you are behind a proxy/firewall and not a VPN? My college place has a VPN setup on it so once it boots up it is behind the VPN and can't be disabled because of OS permissions. I think it's called VNC or something.

VNC is remote control software

Read the post again. The screenshot isn't actually from the PC in question, just using it as an example. A proxy is indeed enabled, not a VPN.

What I used to do at my old workplace is to simply remote desktop to my windows vps and surf from there :)

Back