• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Tripod/Lycos.nl???

Bernhard

Just received the following email from Tripod/Lycos.nl:

Beste Tripod member,

Wegens misbruik van de Tripod service en om de kwaliteit van de Tripod
service naar andere gebruikers te kunnen garanderen, hebben we besloten
om de toegang tot je website http://members.lycos.nl/aqualene/ te
sluiten. Je hebt geen toegang tot je site via FTP software of browser.

Het Lycos Tripod team.

I don't really speak Dutch, but what I understand is that they closed my account due to "abuse". The funny thing is: I don't have the slightest idea what they mean. All I had uploaded was a simple little message board, merely for testing purposes. Totally, I used maybe 20 KB of their webspace, perhaps 100 KB (yes, kilobyte) of their bandwidth and 0.0000007864347893 s of processor time :) If that's abuse then what the hell is "proper use"? :devious2:

just a fast translation:
----------------------------

Dear Tripod member,

As you have abused the Tripod services and to ensure the quality of its services for other members, we have decided to close the access to your site. You don't have access to your site with ftp software or browser.

The Lycos Tripod team.

-----------------------------
Best thing you can do is to mail them and ask for the exact reason why your site has been closed.
Maybe only Dutch speaking people are allowed to signup? :confused: (I have no idea)

Originally posted by Bernhard
Just received the following email from Tripod/Lycos.nl:

I don't really speak Dutch, but what I understand is that they closed my account due to "abuse". The funny thing is: I don't have the slightest idea what they mean. All I had uploaded was a simple little message board, merely for testing purposes. Totally, I used maybe 20 KB of their webspace, perhaps 100 KB (yes, kilobyte) of their bandwidth and 0.0000007864347893 s of processor time :) If that's abuse then what the hell is "proper use"? :devious2:

Man, what power trippers they are!

Hi.

It would appear that if you upload nearly 50MB they close your account.

I have 1 video that's 46Mb, 1 image and 1 html file and there's no hot linking and they delete the account within 10 hours of me uploading.

I just create 2-3 accounts every 24 hours cause they really shouldn't delete and it's no hassle to create.

Nitroboy: Thanks for the translation! I once got a Tripod.de account closed and it took 5 emails (4 of which weren't answered) to get an explanation: Allegedly I had offered "large files for download". Not true...the biggest file was a 400 KB jpeg (and not even on the main page, but in a gallery, somewhere in the depths of my site), while all other files were between 1-100 KB. The real problem probably was that I used almost 100% of my webspace. Seems they don't like that. :(

zivko: 46 MB? Wow. They don't allow files as large as this...and of course using all your webspace is probably also a "no, no" :)

I still wonder what the real reason in my case is. I've set up the same site at Spaceports, if anyone wants to check:

cgi-bin.spaceports.com/~bernhard/i.php

(copy & paste it in the address bar, direct links to Spaceport's CGI server do not work)

What's so bad bad bad about his little board? It's a lot server-friendlier than those bulky BB...heck, it doesn't even use MySQL. I don't get it. Does Tripod systematically delete boards now? Grrr... :mad:

Last edited:
Back