• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Translation - Part Two

Dusty

NLC
NLC
Okay, some of you may remember my thread a while back looking for someone to transcribe a Romanian sound clip and then translate it to English. Part one has been accomplished. The clip (the reverse of the reverse of the chant in the first part of the ritualized orgy sequence in Eyes Wide Shut) says:

"Pentru episcopul nostru N., pentru mila, viata, pacea, sanatatea, mantuirea, cercetarea, lasarea si iertarea de pacate a robilor lui Dumnezeu, fratilor sfintei bisericii acesteia."

Now, I've got the Romainian. I've also got an Italian translation of it:

"Per il nostro pastore N., per la compassione, la vita, la pace, la buona salute, l'assolvenza, il controllo, la dipartita e per il perdono dei peccati degli schiavi di Dio, i fratelli della sua santa chiesa."

Using a number of online translators, picking what sounds right from all their takes on it, this says:

"For our shepherd N., for the pity, the life, the peace, the good health, the assolvenza, the control, the dipartita and for the forgiveness of the sins of the servants of God, the brothers of His Holy Church."

The italicized bits are still a mystery. Nothing I've tried know what they mean. The first, "assolvenza", seems to be used in place of "fade-in" in Italian screenplays, but that doesn't quite fit with the rest of the line...

So, does anyone who speaks Italian know what "assolvenza" and "dipartira" mean used in the context of a byzantine liturgy? Alternatively, does anyone who speaks Romanian know what "mantuirea" and "lasarea" (I presume "lasarea" would link up to "dipartita". I don't know Romanian word order but assuming "si" means "and" it would logically be the same word) mean?

Any clues as to who or what N. is are welcome as well.

Why have you devoted so much effort to unraveling this message?
Someone's gotta unravel it, might as well be me. Though of the various interpretations of the scene, I subscribe to the one that it's not to be taken literally and that it's composed largely of dream-like elements from Bill's turbulent subconscious, but still I think knowing what the chant means will shed some more light on what the rest means. Kubrick wasn't one to use something for no reason.

The priest-like figure in the red cloak, played by Leon Vitali, pauses before each of the masked women and says backwards (well, he doesn't, but the recording in a very distorted manner does) "Domnul catre ucenicii sai, marie tie, Doamne", which, as best as I can figure (what few online Romainian dictionaries there are, fewer still have very many church-y words in them), means "From the disciples of the Lord, glory to you, Lord."

Four times during this a higher-toned, less distorted voice says the line I'm trying to interpret now.

After each of the un-paired men are accompained upstairs by one of the women from the circle starts the second part of the orgy, the less-ritualistic and more sexual bit. It quotes a verse from the Bhagwad Gita over the soundtrack:

"Parithranaya Saadhunam Vinashaya cha dushkrithaam Dharmasamsthabanarthaya Sambhavami yuge yuge"

Which means:

"Whenever there is a decline of Dharama and a rise of Adharma, O Arjun, then I, Shree Krishna, will manifest myself to protect the good, transform the evil, and re-establish Dharama."

(I think this was later removed from the international release of the film, but it's kept in the North American version. The only thing edited in it was to digitally censor the more gratuitous sex acts to avoid an NC-17 rating. Those are kept in the international release, though. Combine the two and you've got the whole movie.)

So, I've got everything except the two words I asked for above-- as far as the audio goes, at least.

Originally posted by Dusty

Now, I've got the Romainian. I've also got an Italian translation of it:

"Per il nostro pastore N., per la compassione, la vita, la pace, la buona salute, l'assolvenza, il controllo, la dipartita e per il perdono dei peccati degli schiavi di Dio, i fratelli della sua santa chiesa."

Using a number of online translators, picking what sounds right from all their takes on it, this says:

"For our shepherd N., for the pity, the life, the peace, the good health, the assolvenza, the control, the dipartita and for the forgiveness of the sins of the servants of God, the brothers of His Holy Church."

<< Italian

the word "dipartita" means to depart. Or departure.

l'assolvenza means to absolve, or everyday use it would be to discharge (to aquit).

hope this helps.

Back