• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Toefurs Free Host!

Toefur

Two Sheds
NLC
So, I've been thinking about setting up a free host. I've put lots of thought into various aspects... and now, I have one question to ask.

Would anyone even use it?

I ask this because it would be very low on the resources/features side of things; as you can see here...

• 2-5 mb webspace
  • 250-500 mb bandwidth a month
  • only .html .gif .jpeg .txt .css and a few limited other sorts of filetypes allowed
  • filesize limit... a few hundred kb perhaps
  • No FTP

It would also have SSI, and maybe PHP, though no mysql.

Also, maybe CGI scripts. Although, no actual access to it for users; but they could pay something like $1 via paypal if they desperately wanted me to install one for them.

As for ads, I can't decide whether it would be a 468 user placeable banner and a text link on the bottom of the page; or a largish banner on the bottom of the page, or just a 468*60 (perhaps slightly bigger) banner on the top of the page.

So, I figure that if people want more bandwidth or diskspace they can go hook themselves up with Spaceports or Geocities or whatever. So if they wanna, say, archive something that takes up 30 or 40 meg of space... I dont want them. :p

I know 2-5 meg doesn't sound appealing at all; but in all my time, none of my sites (message boards excluded) have ever used more than a meg or two.

I doubt it would appeal to most users that frequent this forum, but I know a lot of people hosted on places like emote.org where all you get is 1 meg, and they're quite happy there.

So, thoughts/comments/suggestions/criticisms anyone?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Toefur
I know 2-5 meg doesn't sound appealing at all; but in all my time, none of my sites (message boards excluded) have ever used more than a meg or two.

OMG, really? :eek: :eek: :eek:

My other site (not the one in my signature) is almost 100mb! And it doesn't even have any downloads!!!

yeah,my website (http://www.rpgplanet.com/ff9/) is almost 100 mb too...and that's not including the multimedia files (screensavers,midis,mp3,etc)

I don't think 2-5 mb is enough...maybe you should increase it to at least 15-20 mb ? :confused2

Last edited:
Sounds just about right for a small, personal site. You know, the "my family", "my friends", "my cat" type of site. :p

As for the banner... the thing you shouldn't do IMO is to force the users to have 'em on every single page. Requesting that your members self place ads above the fold would be nice.

100 meg, not including downloads and stuff... what the bloody hell takes up a 100 meg???? :D

Maybe I'll raise it to 10meg, and go by the theory that most of the people wont even use half that, perhaps...

As for what lex said... yeah... when I thought of this, thats exactly what came to mind, well more along the lines of, "This is me and my cat miffy" but yeah.

As for the banner... that is a good idea, and I like it... but, if they have to self place it, it would mean half the people would be dumb asses and wouldn't know how to (no matter what sort of instructions I gave them), and some of them would try and get away with putting none on at all... so I would have to continuously check them all.

I know spaceports used to have the thing where it would search the page for their adcode thingy, and if it wasnt there... it would have a pop up... but I've no idea how I would do something like that :confused:

Threaten your users then. For instance, if you catch a guy repeatedly ignoring your begging :)D) then you can tell him that you'll publicize his email address or steal all his shit and then delete his site etc. :p:p:p

Originally posted by LeX
Threaten your users then. For instance, if you catch a guy repeatedly ignoring your begging :)D) then you can tell him that you'll publicize his email address or steal all his shit and then delete his site etc. :p:p:p
and you yourself get into deep shit when he seeks legal advice. :p

My biggest site was 10mb, that was with a few downloads for SimCity... without the downloads it was like 3 or 4 megs.

Toefur, 10MB sounds good... people would sign up for that. Are you sure you can't get FTP?

Originally posted by LeX

Well ya know... that MIGHT just work... ;) :D

Originally posted by trenzterra
and you yourself get into deep shit when he seeks legal advice. :p

I'd be a rich webhost... I could afford better lawyers than any of my scummy users :D :p

Originally posted by Giancarlo
My biggest site was 10mb, that was with a few downloads for SimCity... without the downloads it was like 3 or 4 megs.

Toefur, 10MB sounds good... people would sign up for that. Are you sure you can't get FTP?

I dunno, I could add FTP perhaps.

In my original plan, I was going to have FTP; but ran into what I thought were a few unnecessary problems.

I'll think a bit more about it.

What I might do is, set up two hosts... one with FTP, and one without.

Then, see I will see how things go with both. Depending on the results, it might be feasible to just have FTP access; but it also might not.

It might also end up with me being able to run two successful hosts :p

How about adding a telnet accout to that?
There are very few services allowing users to have telnet access.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
Sounds good... what is your cash flow? Adequate to cover costs?

To quote the now defunct excelland, "wE have gote funding from one big company that will make us that we can last at lest four one hundred years."

Sorry. I couldn't resist that. I remember reading that (along those lines) on their old site, I thought it was funny. :D

But yessir, cash flow (at this stage in time, at least) is adequate to cover costs. If I handle things extremely delicately I think I can manage to at least break even with it.

Originally posted by kjelle
How about adding a telnet accout to that?
There are very few services allowing users to have telnet access.

There's a reason for that... :)

So, no; sorry.

Originally posted by LeX
Seems to me he's running it off his own computer.

lol... Yep, my 56k modem beats a T3 any day. :D

Nah, I'm not hosting it on my computer. If I were, I would quite easily be able to offer plenty more than 10 meg of webspace; although on a crappy IDE drive; but thats a moot point!

If I were, I would quite easily be able to offer plenty more than 10 meg of webspace
Hadn't thought of that. Thinking maybe you only have a bit o spare space left or something. :p j/k

Back