• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Today is the deadline to sign up at directoris.com for that special deal...

curiousity

Is anyone going to sign up with them today? I was about the sign up with both 9kd.net and directoris.com. But I was glad that I did not sign up with 9kd.net and saved myself $15. But what about directoris? I am somewhat worry about them also after the 9kd.net fiasco. But it is only $14, so is it worth it?

<<MOD EDIT>>
Alex, please review the forum guidelines at the top of all forums (first message).
<</MOD EDIT>>

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to wonder... During this sign up period (when they are collecting the $14 sign up fee) I have read a number of times that their server has been having down times. What will they be like when the money stops coming in for these accounts on the Don Host server? They have plans on selling regular hosting on another server (not with Don Host) but why would they continue to service these accounts without any more income... ever. I think they mean well but it just don’t make sense. The logical conclusion is that the service will get worse and then die. The real question is how long will that be?

At least 9kd.net had a plan (poor as it may have been) where the money would keep coming each year.

I do not know how 9kd and directoris cover the cost for the reseller package

14 dollar for a new account!
if 5GB of bandwidth X 10 User = 50GB already!

10X14 = 140USD... Donhost reseller package is about 630USD

630USD - 140USD = 490USD

Maybe they have another source of income besides web hosting?

They offer also webdesign. And directoris has sites all over the globe. They do have downtimes. But have great support.
Anyway, I'm planning on transfering out.

When (if) they get their own server they well of course move the accounts with them.
The downtime isn't due to Directoris but to Donhost that has a problem server and seems to be stalling instead of fixing. This concerns several hosts.

That was the defense. Here comes the bad. Have you seen their new plan? Now it's $35 one time fee until December 31. OK, the accounts you get now is much smaller, but still, not what one would have expected, huh? :confused:

Originally posted by meow
When (if) they get their own server they well of course move the accounts with them.

I don't understand this???

They are going to move these (none paying) accounts onto a server that they will buy and continue to service them free for life? And now they are offering newer plan (again for life) and transfer them too??? How are they going to pay for this server?

Originally, their post on WebHostingTalk said that their goal was to give away some accounts to build up some good will and then sell regular hosting after this period. I did consider going with them as a lark. But now I see now they are selling more of these "free" accounts (now for $35). They lied.

This is beginning to look like some type a pyramid scheme. Buyer beware!

Get ready for the next Tacid/9kd crash!

Yeah, this new plan doesn't look good. A guess is (would be for any business that did something like this) that he needs fresh capital fast. Hopefully it's for invertments (the new server) and not to cover losses.

I don't understand your problem with what will happen to the current accounts though? They aren't like glued to donhost.

Hi meow...

Not glued to donhost but I'm guessing that donhost has some of the cheapest servers out there for resellers. So why go through all of the agrivation and expense to move these none paying "free" accounts to a more expensive server? They certainly are not moving to a noc that would be far more reliable and costs more. Are they going to go out an buy their own server and hire a staff to watch over it 24 hrs per day? There is no more money in these accounts for them. Each new $35 account will be like found money but ... same problem, where is the ongoing expense going to be covered from?

To me, the only logical conclusion is to leave the accounts where they are until they decide that it's time to pull the plug on the current server. That will probably be when the new orders for the $35 accounts dry up.

My thought is for you is to enjoy it while you got it. $14 might buy you six months... still a fair deal for you and a bad deal for the $35 accounts.

Last edited:
Aha.You mean if they are really bad and close shop altogether, take whatever dough there is and start up under another name with a new company?

If they just move to another server and drop old accounts they would violate the deal we have with them. That would be very bad karma indeed. I imagine a host that did that would have a hard time to find new customers. Not even tacidblue tried that one. Have you heard of this happening any time?

No, I don't believe in that scenario. They wouldn't stand a day in court if they did that. I don't like the recent development but I'm still happy I got in. As I said at the time I see it as a lottery ticket. If they just stay up I've made a good deal. If they turn out to be a successful host I've really made it. If they die tomorrow I've got two months hosting for $14. About what I would have paid elsewhere. But I hope they don't die. ;)

After all Vincent said he did this because of the free advertising he would get from the free riders. Imagine the bad advertisement he would get from the same people and more if he dumped us. BTW we haven't seen if they will get their own server yet. ;)

Vincent told me they are getting a new server in 30 days. And for some strange reason he won't change my MX record to point to everyone.net :mad: :mad: :mad: He says they had problems in the past :rolleyes: :mad: He said he will do it once the new servers come in.

And I think the downtime is not due to directoris. Donhos't server 6 is really ----ed up.

Vincent has already put in a lot of time and money into this project so he will the person at loss (Personal nameservers cost a lot at donhost) although my guess is he has already recovered the money from all the sign-ups. He himself told me just few days before that they are experiencing a rush and are creating 100's of account .
$14 * 100 signups(at the least) = $1400 now that's a lot of money. He can very well go and buy a dedicated server.

Hey! What new server are we talking about here? Their own server they have mentioned earlier, meaning they will leave donhost or just something to get those Windows accounts going?

Originally posted by meow
Hey! What new server are we talking about here? Their own server they have mentioned earlier, meaning they will leave donhost or just something to get those Windows accounts going?

He didn't specify anything. Wait a min I'll retrieve the mail...
Here you go.
Regarding Everyone.net we have stopped doing the MX records updates for the
moment, until we get our new server up and running (within 30 days). We had
some problems earlier...

Please, be patient and you'll get what you need soon. :)
After this mail he hasn't responded to a single mail of mine. And it has been more than 36 hours.

Afraid "a new server" may be referring to the win one. Earlier he said their own server would be at the end of the year.

I pinged them just now (the URL I gave you)

69 bytes of data
30 packets received/30 transmitted : 0% PACKET LOSS
Round Trip Time (in milliseconds) Max/Min/Av: 235/206/221

This is about as slow as they get for me.

Hello guys,

Can you guys explain to me something?

How can you ping a website to find out its speed?

And once you get the data, how do you interpret it? Meow, I see that you have the ping data up there but I don't fully understand it yet. I am new at this ping thing. Can anyone help explain it in an easy and concise manner? Thanks a lot.

Assuming you have windows
open a command prompt
type in

ping hostname eg ping www.directoris.com
you will get something like this
Code:
Pinging directoris.com [195.10.228.132] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=892ms TTL=233
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=866ms TTL=233
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=886ms TTL=233
Reply from 195.10.228.132: bytes=32 time=889ms TTL=233

Ping statistics for 195.10.228.132:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 866ms, Maximum =  892ms, Average =  883ms

The ping program send outs packets from your computer to the host computer and calculates the amount of time the packet takes to return to your computer. More the time, usually greater the time to load your site. I think the rest you can understand.

Meow: that is my ping for directoris.com, your site -> request timed out. :confused:

I don't fully understand it either, but I can tell the little I know (hope I get it right now :p).

When you "ping" a small packet is sent several times to the URL. The utility I use let me set the size of the package (just a text string) and how many times it should be sent. When it's done I know the max time, the minimum time and the average time for the transfers. It also tells me if any packets were lost.

You can check TJPing out if you want. It has some more fun features and is easy to use. Looks neat too. (Free and paid version)
http://www.topjimmy.net/tjs/

We posted at the same time again. :D

The problem must be in your end. Maybe your ISP has screwed something up. You couldn't mail me either.

Hey lastaction! Try some other servers you know are in UK. Can be something on the way too. Trace a couple and see.

Back