• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

To get an idea of how large an audience these fonts would reach...

Dusty

NLC
NLC
If these fonts were given in a font tag in this order, which one would you see? For example, if you have AGaramond Bold installed, say "1", or if you don't have any Garamond, but you do have Goudy, say "4", etc.
  1. AGaramond Bold
  2. AGaramond
  3. Garamond
  4. Goudy
  5. Lucida
  6. Times New Roman
  7. Times
  8. (whatever your default is)
    [/list=1]

I guess... I have Garamond, Garamond Bold, and Garamond Italic, and all other fonts following Garamond on your list, but I've never heard of this "AGaramond" before.

Originally posted by Blank Verse
Yeah, 3 for me too. I don't think I have Goudy either.
Same here :) Dusty which Lucida? I don't have that as just Lucida, but a few others like Lucida Sans etc.

Dusty which Lucida?
Just Lucida, but if you want, Lucida Bright Demibold.

AGaramond and Garamond are nearly identical, just one's PostScript and the other True Type, but I prefer the former. I probably should have included Garamond Bold in the list too, but that doesn't really matter-- I'll assume if you have one, you'll have the other. Goudy looks much like Garamond, only a little larger.

I'm just tired of Arial and Verdana. I want something different, and something serif, but not as plain as Times New Roman if I can avoid it.

Originally posted by Dusty
If these fonts were given in a font tag in this order, which one would you see? For example, if you have AGaramond Bold installed, say "1", or if you don't have any Garamond, but you do have Goudy, say "4", etc.
Perhapps you should embed the font into the web page, this is the only way you can be sure that the font will be used when viewers visit your page.

<style>
@font-face{font-family:AGaramond Bold;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;src:url(AGaramondB.eot)}
</style>

=mek=

No, with an embedded font you can be reasonably assured next to no one will see it ;). Different browsers embed fonts differently. An embedded font for one browser may not work properly or, more likely than not, at all in another. I'll just stick with a plain ole <font> tag and offer a few alternative fonts if the one I'm aiming for isn't available.

Originally posted by Dusty
No, with an embedded font you can be reasonably assured next to no one will see it ;). Different browsers embed fonts differently. An embedded font for one browser may not work properly or, more likely than not, at all in another. I'll just stick with a plain ole <font> tag and offer a few alternative fonts if the one I'm aiming for isn't available.
Fine, you can be sure that people using Internet Explorer 4+ will see your fonts which is the vast majority. I'd have to look up Netscape, but no one seems to use Netscape much these days amymore.

I, for instance, have no idea how much unicode normal people can see as when I installed windows I installed support for all unicode.

=mek=

Back