• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

To all webhosts

ProQ

Hi, I am thinking about entering the host market and start my own web host, I don't have much experience with the different systems that would make my job easier. Could any of you tell me about your opinions on the following systems and which you would prefer?

-Ensim
-cPanel
-Plesk

Any reason why you prefer it?

Hey,

You might find that a lot of your customers will like cpanel. I personally like webhostmanager (WHM) so much better than ensim for managing a server.

many may argue that "oh, cpanel is so insecure, ensim is so much more secure". But as long as you know how to manager a server and apply security patches and upgrades, you will be fine.

I hate plesk. I dont like ensim. I love cpanel.

i dont know if your looking for a reseller account or you have a dedicated server.

I took the dedicated server route. I have experience with cPanel, but am leaning towards Ensim... I hate Plesk for sure. So, can you guys help me through a final decision between the pro version of Ensim or cPanel? btw, thx for your reply, dynamohosting. Could you be more specific as to why you love the cPanel over Ensim? It sounds more like a rant than something constructive, no offense :).

Well my customers like cpanel better than ensim because it is more graphical and easy to use.

Also, I hate managing servers with ensim. It dosnt give you the options that cpanel does. Cpanel just has many more features.

Do you remember what version of Ensim you used? Could you name a few features Ensim is lacking? I need some hard facts because I want to make the right decision for myself based on what I think I need.

Well from a customer viewpoint, this is how i would list the Control Panels
CPanel
Plesk
Ensim (Ugh)

From a hosting standpoint, i wouldn't alter that. CPanel is not only easy for you to use, but your customers will love it. We have found that alot of customers do prefer CPanel over Plesk or Ensim, and that alot would even pay that little bit more for a CPanel plan than an Ensim or Plesk plan.

Don't get me wrong they are all good panel's, but if you want customers, they seem to come more towards CPanel. Make sure that when you do open your host that you

a) Offer more than 1 method of support, Forum Support, Trouble Ticket, and Instant Messaging/IRC/Live 1 on 1 is a great start for any host.
b) Have a nicely designed, and easy to navigate site, you won't get any customers if they cannot find the plans :p.
c) Try to get a few staff members from different timezones, that way you can answer most customer questions within a quick timeframe.
d) Check your site over for spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors, you want your site to look professional. Remember first impressions really, really do last.

That is pretty much all the advice i can give :).

ok thx for your opinions... I appreciate your help especially when some prefer to not help just because im possible competition which is rather disappointing. I was aiming towards ensim, but thankfully your words and some more looks at the different versions/skins of cPanel made me decide to go with it.

Originally posted by ProQ
but thankfully your words and some more looks at the different versions/skins of cPanel made me decide to go with it.
You will be glad that you did, it really is a great control panel.

Ensim may seem easier to manage then cPanel but cPanel by far has more features and options. Also, when it comes to updates cPanel beats Ensim by a long shot. I've only used Plesk a couple of years ago when I first started hosting. Had a reseller account then. I now have 1 cPanel server, 1 Ensim server and I manage 3 other cPanel servers.

I think more people are turning to cPanel then Ensim.

love - hate

Like anything else, everyone has their favorites.
Love it or hate it.
There are quite a few forums though for software/control panels.
may be worth looking into some of those as a resource.
Best of luck

CPanel is easily the most popular out there, however the price is pretty high. CPanel is most probably the easiest to use. So is CPanel's WHM.

And I hate Plesk, lol, simple as :)

Ensim I neither like nor hate.

1. CPanel
2. Ensim
3. Plesk

That's my order. Also, i can include WHM before Ensim...but heh...:rolleyes:

ADY had the right list.

Cpanel is the users favorite because it is easiest to use and IMHO has the best features.

Ensim has a better admin I think, but when weighted against what the clients think, the customer is always right.

Back