• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

I also see Babblehost as not responding.

Their website is down as well.

Hopefully they're alright over there, they have been the silent steady for quite some time now.

Personally, I thought Babblehost folded ages ago. How do you get free hosting over there? Did they ever actually go live or has it been behind the scenes this entire time?

They seem to be up now. I show both their site and their button on the spread. Not sure what that was about.

Personally, I thought Babblehost folded ages ago. How do you get free hosting over there? Did they ever actually go live or has it been behind the scenes this entire time?

Take a look at the board Tyler. http://taophoenix.ismywebsite.com/ReVisionWhiteMobile.html
Babblehost entered something like round 3, and Seraphim was echoing me - they didn't post much but their server was holding solid for a while, and that earned them a couple "shout-outs". At one point the owner got busy and hired a manager, but he needs to come visit the thread to report an update to reduce the penalty. Right now supposing the scale starts at some 2.8, he's down to something like 2.2 including the "silence penalty".

I'll be interested in buying those hosts that no longer want to continue with there ventures. :) Just a little helping hand.

Client Pre-Processing - Intro

I'll be interested in buying those hosts that no longer want to continue with there ventures. :) Just a little helping hand.

Actually that touches upon a fascinating area I've wondered about for a while. What exactly would you be buying? "Buying a host" implies buying the branding and retaining its service offerings. That could be a service nightmare.

If you're just buying clients / lists, then you're not really buying the host - you're getting into an area I'll call "Client Pre-Processing". That's actually an area I think is under-developed in this field. The advantages are obvious - it's happening already, only now the client knows up front to expect a switchover. The downside is that it shows the maturing of the field, and if not done right, makes the client feel like a commodity shipped around.

Actually that touches upon a fascinating area I've wondered about for a while. What exactly would you be buying? "Buying a host" implies buying the branding and retaining its service offerings. That could be a service nightmare.

If you're just buying clients / lists, then you're not really buying the host - you're getting into an area I'll call "Client Pre-Processing". That's actually an area I think is under-developed in this field. The advantages are obvious - it's happening already, only now the client knows up front to expect a switchover. The downside is that it shows the maturing of the field, and if not done right, makes the client feel like a commodity shipped around.

Well, if I bought them, it'd have to only be the clients and server they are running on. I can't buy the name. Why? Because 99.9% of free hosts out there aren't registered. I'm a register company, so I already have a name. Registering the host's name that I buy is just ridiculous and pointless. They would keep the domain/subdomain and plan they have hosted with their current host as well as the server. But, I would be running everything.

Client Pre-Processing Cont.

I'm thinking you wouldn't even buy the server, because when a flash-pan free host shuts down, chances are they plan to do something with the hardware. So that puts us back to client pre-processing. It happens already, behind the scenes, this just brings it out into the open. It leads to a little bit of elitism, "pre-processed clients only". Then if the new company is no good either, the client feels really worthless much faster than normal.

But it solves so many other problems! Just suppose that here at the final months of my study I emerged with 4-5 "Gold Hosts". They proved they have it all lined up for a long haul proposition. But all those other aspiring entrants could have done okay as a pre-processor! All they would have had to do is an orderly data handoff. It gives the little guys a chance to learn how the settings work, and 7 months later they can get a little hard cash to close out with. The clients, suitably informed, know that a switch is happening, so they don't feel like the rug is being pulled out every time when "____host" closes. The Gold hosts get a solid client who doesn't try to wreck the server with his get rich quick nulled junk etc.

It is an interesting concept at least. Basically instead of hosting directly, run essentially a hosting referral service that helps clients migrate from host to host as business runs it's normal cycle. Could even take it the next step further, and set things up so that you act as the middleman and handle the migrations and everything for them, that way they see a single reliable hosting provider while in the background you take care of redundancy and failure compensation with the providers.

I'm kind of curious now if such services legitimately exist actually.

Themes

The concept spreads in variants of both directions. A pre-processor host would do the filtering of the warez/spammer/script kiddie signups. Say in three months out of 1000 total signups, only 150 are any good. It's not clear who does the migration - my instinct says it's the new Gold Host, who I expect to have the stake in the long term hosting. The new host then is spared the grunt work that has threatened to siphon off working hours.

Client side, if they know that certain hosts use pre-processor filters, it might deter abuse all by itself, in that there is less incentive for the "one week spam and run" types. I expect very few "sleepers" who play nice until the switch - the low end bad signups don't have the patience or savvy for that. Sure, you might get a couple jerks, but that's a "higher level problem" than what we have seen typically causing the frustration here.

Even giving the client the benefit of the doubt, they sign up legit, start a blog, post two entries and a picture of their dog, ... then wander away... those "dabble" clients are an important group to give them good service, but it's still a ghost account that a gold host doesn't really want. People just get busy, and wander away, but if they remember the decent service at the time, the second time they comne back might be the good client for an upsell account.

The last angle for now, is it gives an outlet for those people who want to dabble on the hosting side for the learning experience. We have disparaged them *because the distinction between pre-processor and gold host* is muddied. A pre-processor host who only operates for some five months can still produce five sweeps of filtered clients for a gold host. I'm pretty sure a client would have some fun signing up with someone trying out their very first host experiment. The client knows to expect a little bumpier experience. Meanwhile let's say bad stuff does happen, it's the only way the new learner host can get the experience that will later let them become a gold host. It's a measured "apprenticeship" path so that one bad unlucky mistake doesn't sink their reputation.

Last edited:
Sales Links?

Sometimes people just plain run into problems. I'm sure we've all been there, but not everyone can tough it out and not give up on it.

Still, I also find this interesting how even hosts that appeared to be relatively stable for a long time suddenly get into trouble or disappear outright. Is the industry really that unstable at the low end of things?

Let's start with this nice comment. Based on my recent new ideas per my posts, in upscale language I have run one of the first "Host Certification" services. My data was mostly public, run live, with fairly lenient fluid rules. In my opinion based on my project, yes - several of the lower tiers are pretty gritty. I believe part of that is my new distinction between entry hosts and certified hosts. Until now it has been a mashup where everyone piles into the ad section and clients have no idea who to pick. By making a quick rule of thumb, and avoiding a famous logic fallacy:
1. Initially consider all hosts as entry level
2. It takes time to certify good hosts
3. Clients have to trust the rating entity to produce good results, and avoid paybacks
4. Even formerly certified hosts can decline and fall - certification is only relative.

Now that my gold selections are mostly complete, I am aware that there are a lot of "Alumni" who hit a couple big snags, combined with some "PR Mistakes". This was enough to keep them off the gold list, but what about another tier or two down? My quick instinct is to make a list of simple links to the sales page of interested former entrants. The message to clients is "use with a grain of salt but these hosts are better than the pure fly-by-nights". Is there any interest in that, or is everyone exhausted and moving on?

Hey Tao - I just lurk a lot nowadays - things are insanely busy, so I rarely get the time to peruse the forums anymore.

CWahi is chugging along - as of now 158,800 members and growth is accelerating. When I do visit here I check your hosting spread thread :)

Hey Tao - I just lurk a lot nowadays - things are insanely busy, so I rarely get the time to peruse the forums anymore.

CWahi is chugging along - as of now 158,800 members and growth is accelerating. When I do visit here I check your hosting spread thread :)

Yeah, the Lurk-Only factor does show up, in a sort of tie-break fashion. Meanwhile while you are at third, it's really a case of secondary factors since you long since passed the primary durability mark. A couple of times when I asked elsewhere "what would stop people from signing with cWahi", some answers I got back were the proprietary panel, and a couple of configurations options which some folks said you didn't support. Otherwise you can be pleased that you're one of the Gold winners in the top tier!

(Heh P.s. As Seraphim likes to tell me, I'm a little lazy synchronizing my copies, so the one on your server is absolutely not the newest! I'll have to do a real synch soon-ish though.)

Heh yeah it's a little out of date :)

Proprietary panel is a mess but far more efficient than all the others we've tried over the years. Working on a redesign in the background.

As far are the other options, most are security related, one is lack of Domains ( on my perpetual to-do list). If I can give it without hackers using it as an exploit (or as in the case of email, I can prevent/limit their effect) I try to give it.

Still, I'm pleased with our ranking and we're not going anywhere any time soon.

cWahi site problems?

Cwahi, you're supposed to report here when things seriously go down. The following is a snip from your forum and I see the outages too.

----

Sean Con

View Profile Offline

CWAHI site down
« on: Today at 07:44:37 pm »
Hello

the whole site seems to be down. Nothing is loading, mails, filemanager, homepage.. nil.

any help is much appreciated
Report to moderator Logged
Sean Con

View Profile Offline

Re: CWAHI site down
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:48:18 pm »
ok, looks like user server is D4M. can anyone confirm - please ?
William Ricksecker

View Profile Offline

Re: CWAHI site down
« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:38:36 pm »
Seems like somethings up, i just tried the email, file manager, and going to my site and waited a few seconds for each. all were still loading. Not sure whats up
My site(s) http://etcreations.cwahi.net/

http://thehub.cwahi.net/

His site update suggests that he had a combined DDoS and power failure situation for a double down. More recent updates to their news feed say that they've mostly recovered from both faults but may still have services flickering until the attack is filtered.

At the time of this post I'm showing all lights green again.

Back