• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Maybe Seraphim.

It's the new hosts who are at risk of Bad Things Happening. So do you have a couple tricks up your sleeve to avoid the worst of downtimes?

At the moment you're in something like the "Feeder" category. Let's do this. I'll pass on logging a full strength account with you just for the sake of saving work. But I'll make a different link to you just so we can keep tabs, but you get a break on minor blips.

You bet I do. I'm building a network from the ground up with reliability in mind, my projected downtime goal is no more than 5 minutes of site downtime for any customer in a given 30 day period.

I'll admit it isn't easy on my current budget, and there's a lot of competition out there.

SeraphimLabs Free

1 Subdomain
1 MySQL Database
5GB/month bandwidth
500MB storage
Virtualmin control panel
PHP, CGI, Perl
Single Banner Ad
Starting at: $0/month (Single Banner Ad)

Here's my normal free plan. For the sake of review, I'll drop the ads and double the storage and bandwidth just to be on par with the others, since I'm still small enough scale that it doesn't make a mess of the bookkeeping. Will probably just enter it in my customer database as two free accounts with the same username and contact info, that way I can account for that space and bandwidth as things start to get busy.

Signup here. It does verify the email via confirmation message

Hey,

I'm from Lost Signal Networks, and a friend showed me this thread, wanted to see what you thought. I give out free accounts with the following specifications:

5 GB of disk space, 75 GB of bandwidth a month (I do limited runs of these accounts, but I have plenty of spots left.)
"Unlimited" SQL databases, meaning that you can have as many as you please within your disk space limit

I do not require ads, I do not have a forum, though if you want more bandwidth I would ask you to put an ad up, but the offering seems well within your requirements. I have been up since 2006, providing web hosting since 2008. I currently serve about 10 other customers, without so much as a hitch, on paid or free accounts, VPS services, etc.

My website is at http://lostsignalweb.com/ . I'm committed to customer service, so for the last little while I've been taking customer requests all by hand, to make sure everyone is taken care of. You can e-mail me directly, use one of the contact forums on my site or send me a PM. There should be an "e-mail me" button on this forum.

-Sean B.
Lost Signal Web

Hey Cal, can you keep this thread updated with the results of your discussions with the SuperPowers here? Your former Sig affects my study project.

Seraphim Notes

You bet I do. I'm building a network from the ground up with reliability in mind, my projected downtime goal is no more than 5 minutes of site downtime for any customer in a given 30 day period.

I'll admit it isn't easy on my current budget, and there's a lot of competition out there.

SeraphimLabs Free

1 Subdomain
1 MySQL Database
5GB/month bandwidth
500MB storage
Virtualmin control panel
PHP, CGI, Perl
Single Banner Ad
Starting at: $0/month (Single Banner Ad)

Here's my normal free plan. For the sake of review, I'll drop the ads and double the storage and bandwidth just to be on par with the others, since I'm still small enough scale that it doesn't make a mess of the bookkeeping. Will probably just enter it in my customer database as two free accounts with the same username and contact info, that way I can account for that space and bandwidth as things start to get busy.

Signup here. It does verify the email via confirmation message

Yes please, "Coupon" me up to 1GB space and no ad, but I'll remark that if anything I won't even use all of that existing bandwidth. My dev style is long haul & static.

I'd remark that you can even get away with "1 hour downtime per 30 days". A 5 Min goal is probably a bit too brittle. (One tasty glitch will sink you for that aforementioned hour because you'd end up rebooting with 2 network tests or something.)

Lost Signal Networks

Hey,

I'm from Lost Signal Networks, and a friend showed me this thread, wanted to see what you thought. I give out free accounts with the following specifications:

5 GB of disk space, 75 GB of bandwidth a month (I do limited runs of these accounts, but I have plenty of spots left.)
"Unlimited" SQL databases, meaning that you can have as many as you please within your disk space limit

I do not require ads, I do not have a forum, though if you want more bandwidth I would ask you to put an ad up, but the offering seems well within your requirements. I have been up since 2006, providing web hosting since 2008. I currently serve about 10 other customers, without so much as a hitch, on paid or free accounts, VPS services, etc.

My website is at http://lostsignalweb.com/ . I'm committed to customer service, so for the last little while I've been taking customer requests all by hand, to make sure everyone is taken care of. You can e-mail me directly, use one of the contact forums on my site or send me a PM. There should be an "e-mail me" button on this forum.

-Sean B.
Lost Signal Web

Wow, my Feeder Round is really heating up! Tangentially, the first guys to figure out a barter system for resources will move this industry to the next level. I guarantee I won't come close to using that kind of bandwidth for a long time.

I do most of the logistics in this thread itself, because a fairly open process is important. People can see hosts rise, and then ... sometimes stumble. I have several manager coupons for parity, but see elsewhere that this is not a feature comparison, simply a host longevity review.

Heh. Okay, now that I have a full fledged new round, I'll have to clean up the debris in my files to close out the last series. My links are just a shorthand - all you guys are in, so my tardiness has no effect on anything.

Yes please, "Coupon" me up to 1GB space and no ad, but I'll remark that if anything I won't even use all of that existing bandwidth. My dev style is long haul & static.

I'd remark that you can even get away with "1 hour downtime per 30 days". A 5 Min goal is probably a bit too brittle. (One tasty glitch will sink you for that aforementioned hour because you'd end up rebooting with 2 network tests or something.)

I probably will use an hour a month when it comes to advertising and calculating outage refunds, but internally my goal is staying 5 minutes, since my longest reboot only takes 3 minutes to do.

Incidentally I was just playing with some numbers regarding times.

In a 30 day billing cycle, there are 720 hours. 99% uptime as most hosts claim to offer would have at minimum 712.8 hours of that as uptime, with up to 7 hours a month down.

Meaning even at no more than 1 hour a month downtime as my goal, I would still be way ahead in reliability.

1 hour:
3 min for the reboot that doesn't help
42 min for scrunching up your eyebrows while muttering "WTF"
12 min to fix some unbeliveably baroque yet stupid problem
3 min to retrieve beverage from fridge.

Wow, my Feeder Round is really heating up! Tangentially, the first guys to figure out a barter system for resources will move this industry to the next level. I guarantee I won't come close to using that kind of bandwidth for a long time.

I do most of the logistics in this thread itself, because a fairly open process is important. People can see hosts rise, and then ... sometimes stumble. I have several manager coupons for parity, but see elsewhere that this is not a feature comparison, simply a host longevity review.

Heh. Okay, now that I have a full fledged new round, I'll have to clean up the debris in my files to close out the last series. My links are just a shorthand - all you guys are in, so my tardiness has no effect on anything.

Sorry to go off topic here, but "feeder"?

Sorry to go off topic here, but "feeder"?

It's still 20% on topic. What resulted was three hosts are on track to be really solid for a while. Industry wide, new hosts drop off like a cliff. So I thought there should be "layers of achievement" between a host I think is really solid and newcomers who are still shaking down.

As hinted elsewhere, this is a low dollar field, so it attracts all kinds of folks who have some skill but not much startup capital. I personally think it's a great little sideline to learn on as a provider, but mostly everyone agrees it's no big-bucks.

So while you're a nice newcomer, we'll have to see how events play out.

I may be new to doing this myself, but I am hardly new to the webhosting indusry, all I want to do is provide what I expect for myself to others. I've been employed by other companies in the past, it's why I'm going my own now.

Stalled by a dead net connection!

Heh. I was going to start updating stuff but then my rental-house net croaked. Just posting a note today to say I'm still watching over things. It could take a while for it to come back up though.

Well at least it went out at a decent time.

One of my dedicated systems died and I had to switch providers. No big deal really, just frustrating. It's all back up and running again on the new machine with a different datacenter, so that should take care of that for a while.

I'll be ready when you are.

Well at least it went out at a decent time.

One of my dedicated systems died and I had to switch providers. No big deal really, just frustrating. It's all back up and running again on the new machine with a different datacenter, so that should take care of that for a while.

I'll be ready when you are.

Why would you switch providers over that?. Hardware failure happens, its normal.

Okay,
Getting back to things, I have tagged pending:
SeraphimLabs
Colorhost
Lost Signal

and you seem to have stayed put Aloy, so I should give you another try at this 2nd rung. I have to figure out where we left my account.

Why would you switch providers over that?. Hardware failure happens, its normal.

I had been having issues with high latency as well, they apparently had a reputation for trouble with that.

So when the hardware showed warning signs of failure I changed providers to one that performs better, dropping my pings even over my Cell Modem from ~150ms down to only 80ms.

Doesn't matter much, though it is good to know that the new machine is literally a new machine, whereas before I was on a two or three times pre-owned box.

Incidentally good thing I moved when I did. I got an email a few days ago saying that the provider I left had a major outage in the datacenter where my dedi was that would have knocked me offline for close to 12 hours. Fortunately that machine is sitting idle counting down the last few days of it's billing cycle.

Yes that kind of thing happens, but I found Codero to not be as good a deal as it seemed at first.

Categories!

wrong category?

Bonus points for the stumper question!

I traditionally haven't cared for file hosting, because if you see the discussions elsewhere in my thread, a full host ... hosts files. File hosts tend to like aggressive deletion policies like "we delete if you don't download every 30 days" etc, which doesn't work at all with the intent I am studying.

If you really like what I'm doing and have something to prove, I'd have to look hard at your TOS and get a "MgrCoupon" to adjust them to something I can use.

Back