• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Out of boredom and curiousity, I went through and checked the rest of the hosts on the roster.

Your account on CWahi appears to still be working, but it shows an empty index. Not sure if you ever put your content back into it after their security breach though, but since the address does still respond it can't be all bad at least.

L2P looks to be going fairly well, I even found one of the old monitoring spread pages still in that data- which was how I noticed cwahi missing your data because their button was out.

Decker Services checks out okay as well, again with an older version of the site left over from the mainstream study.

Seraphim looks good as well. I was just logged into my server making sure that recent updates hadn't disrupted anything, and everything checks out. That server is currently holding my uptime record, more than a year continuous service.

Though really, I think it would be a good idea to continue with the active monitoring bars. It makes it really convenient to see who is up and who isn't, that way when we notice a failure it is a simple matter to cross check it.

Just put a link to the active monitor on the documentation page, that way it is easy to find when someone wants to check on the survivors.

Out of boredom and curiousity, I went through and checked the rest of the hosts on the roster.

Your account on CWahi appears to still be working, but it shows an empty index. Not sure if you ever put your content back into it after their security breach though, but since the address does still respond it can't be all bad at least.

L2P looks to be going fairly well, I even found one of the old monitoring spread pages still in that data- which was how I noticed cwahi missing your data because their button was out.

Decker Services checks out okay as well, again with an older version of the site left over from the mainstream study.

Seraphim looks good as well. I was just logged into my server making sure that recent updates hadn't disrupted anything, and everything checks out. That server is currently holding my uptime record, more than a year continuous service.

Though really, I think it would be a good idea to continue with the active monitoring bars. It makes it really convenient to see who is up and who isn't, that way when we notice a failure it is a simple matter to cross check it.

Just put a link to the active monitor on the documentation page, that way it is easy to find when someone wants to check on the survivors.

Again, nice notes Seraphim. I fixed the board.

What began to happen is that my concepts are changing. I admit to laziness/indecision on CWahi - I in fact didn't bother reloading anything because of the whole wind down. But a big point is that I now have moved to the next level with a domain name. You were my lead choice of winner for that aspect. You've been the most interested and active alongside me for this whole thing, so you deserve it.

But sideways, while being a little surprised at IsMyWebsite, we're getting to a core of what I envisioned when I first started this thing. I would be REALLY surprised if any of the remaining four of you went under for a long time. This is just about where I stake my judgement on it. You're you, Decker-Services is too smart to randomly nuke my account, I think LP-Trel is too, and I might have to log in soon and repost some content on cWahi just so they know I'm here so it doesn't stay Null for too long. But the page I'd post would look a lot like the one you see now, (however much I might fiddle with the formatting). As in, a standalone report. But ya know, if I did my judgement correctly, the four remaining entrants should be here for a while, so I need to free up the mental energy from the old days of "constantly checking". No business lasts forever, but in a classic "reality show" style, I booted off the losers, and I'd hold these four up with any business. I think there's some 35 years experience combined in there!

So yeah FWS, if you catch a catastrophic meltdown of any of my selections, post it here! Otherwise I don't need to check daily anymore.

Edit: Here's a CWahi copy of the new board from today:
http://taophoenix.cwahi.net/WebHostFAQ.html

I should probably swing around to the other hosts and post it too later.

Last edited:
This is more of a Note To Self than any formal test. It's supposedly a company that offers 100 Gig and a TB of bandwidth. I have been checking out Librivox which does home grown audio books, and since it's rather irritating to get data onto an iPhone, one idea I had was to "borrow" this plan for however long it lasts because apparently the iPhone WILL play mp3's it comes across. More news later if/when I go ahead with the idea.

For the fans of my study, this time I *intend* it to be a short lived resource. But a short term resource is what this usage calls for.

Hey guis, our forum is online.
You can request free hosting on: www.forum.media-colt.ro

This is more of a Note To Self than any formal test. It's supposedly a company that offers 100 Gig and a TB of bandwidth. ...

Hello again everyone! After doing some offline stuff, I am checking a few things here at FWS!

Not surprisingly, this company croaked. I never did get around to using them as a short term data dump though.

The results are now on a standalone page.
http://www.freevoteusa.com/WebHostFAQ.html

Hi Seraphim!

I went to go work on a project page, and I am getting a site outage! My home "jump page" is still in my browser, probably in a cache, but everything else looks down.

I went to downforeveryoneorjustme.com, and got:
"It's not just you! http://www.freevoteusa.com looks down from here."

Any advice?

Cheers!

--Tao

Update: It looks like it's back. The top level of the company was never in doubt - maybe some kind of name server glitch or something. I should get a note soon.

Last edited:
It's an upstream issue I've noticed, that particular facility seems to have network issues from time to time that knocks it out for a few minutes. It usually recovers quickly without any serious issues.

What datacenter is it having all those problems?

Dimenoc in Orlando Florida. From the patterns, it looks like they just have congestion problems a few routers away from me at irregular intervals- but typically in the early morning hours my time.

Hi all.

Is it the same center having issues again? These outages are a bit more than "a few minutes". I think this one is going on several hours for me by now. Seraphim, it's been a couple in the same month now, and while I can take say a half hour blip, this outage started about 2am eastern while I was watching TV and is still going on right now. Can you investigate? Are any solutions possible?

I'm looking at it as well. It went down last night, and hasn't come back yet.

Heavy packet loss a couple routers above me at dimenoc, I can't get any response from my stuff there.

That little irregular blip I was observing seems to have turned into something significant. Hopefully they can ride it out okay.

Hmm.

This is a bit bumpy!

Do you have plans to put in limited second rollover backups etc?

Also see if you can get an ETA for them being back. Do you have a support tech up there you are in touch with?

Edit: All bets are off. Turns out the downtime last night was an approximately 15 minute period where they had to physically power off some of the equipment for APC upgrades. Apparently mine got overlooked when they were turning it back on.

A quick button press and it's good to go again.

Last edited:
I suppose, but it's a bit of an unfortunate error and feels a bit sloppy from them.

If you have contact access to them and put in your ticket, they should do a sanity check and figure it out in less than a day!

So we're back for now, so we'll just see how it goes.

Christmas season memo:

I haven't been here in a while! I have been quite satisfied with Seraphim Labs as my lead provider, and Decker Services still hosts another copy of some stuff with a particular little page that I never got around to moving.

Thus, due to lack of interest on my part, I don't know the status these days of cWahi or LifeLessPeople. Their main sites are up.

I'm still here. Although at the moment my site is not accepting new registrations I am still hosting sites by request. Hopefully in the coming months I'll finish redesigning the backend of my site with a greatly improved antispam measure- after a while I was getting upwards of 20 spam registrations a day.

I could really use some help getting basic hosting set up as my presence on the web seems to be growing. Can you point me in the correct direction here for setting up a basic option somewhere?

It depends on what you need. At this point the study is largely complete- Tao has found and been using hosts that will likely stick around for a good long while.

Up to you if you want to use the results of his experiment as well.

Alternately make a request thread on the forum asking to see what's out there. You'll get plenty of offers, but as Tao demonstrated some of them will last longer than others.

Back