• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Thread Closed] 350 Rebels killed in Nepal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by conkermaniac
GC, I wouldn't believe what I hear.

I just get sources, many sources at that fact.

You say that they had elections. Well, I can tell you right now that very few elections in Asia are ever won without bribery.

Same in the United States too... and in Europe. So what is the point? They are much smarter in more developed countries so they don't get caught.

Also, who says that there were any other candidates involved in the elections?

There were many different political parties in the Nepalese election.

Unfortunately, that is the case with most Asian countries that claim themselves to be "democracies."

Unfornately, democracies don't often exist. Singapore for example has been ruled by one party (correct if I am wrong) for many years, and Singapore is doing very well.

Hah! When my teacher went to Nepal, she said there was little and very poor quality food there.

Hah yourself! My friend used to live in Nepal. They had plenty of grain but that was about it.

And who wrote this report? The government?

No an independent source... :rolleyes:

Potential means nothing until it is harnessed.

There have been several projects started in recent years.

When your country never does anything, it's not hard to imagine that you don't have that much of a debt.

No it means the economy can grow because the economy does not have a debt burden placed on it, like Argentina.

You cant just say "They deserved to die"! How can you say that? Who is to say whether them rebelling was right or wrong? It all changes depending on your perspective. You didn't know these people, you are regarding them as a number and forgetting these were living, breathing people with hearts, feelings, souls, families, lovers...

Over 3,500 people were killed in the past seven years and that is because of the maoists. (99% blame on them) Who is for you to say these people had hearts when they were cold-blooded murders?

And go to hell! Bullfighting is not murder, it is only for you animal activists to say that. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Over 3,500 people were killed in the past seven years and that is because of the maoists. (99% blame on them) Who is for you to say these people had hearts when they were cold-blooded murders?

And go to hell! Bullfighting is not murder, it is only for you animal activists to say that. :rolleyes:

What lovely double standards you have, my darling GC. You're just a bigot, and that's all you are. I think that word was created especially for you.

Originally posted by anhedonia

What lovely double standards you have, my darling GC. You're just a bigot, and that's all you are. I think that word was created especially for you.

And they say that about Le Pen... you leftists are always misrepresenting us! I don't see any double standards... that is what you animal activists see!

Originally posted by byrdgirl13
And in Colombia, has the problem been solved with war, either? Or Nepal for that matter? Apparently not. And even when/if the fighting ends, there will have been great destruction and many lives lost.

What other solution is there? Let the rebels take control? Get involved in one of those bogus peace talks? No. The Nepalese Army must, like the Angolan Army overcome the rebels. Angola has experienced a lot of death and misery, but that is finally nearing an end. Dos Santos is calling elections, and the Army has overrunned UNITA nearly. The Rebel leader is dead, and finally people can get on with there lives.

In Sierra Leone, for example they burned a bunch of weapons... got rid of them... but that was only when the rebels there were put under tremendous pressure by the new professional (internationally funded) Army.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

Same in the United States too... and in Europe. So what is the point? They are much smarter in more developed countries so they don't get caught.

Probably, but definitely to a lesser extent.

Unfornately, democracies don't often exist. Singapore for example has been ruled by one party (correct if I am wrong) for many years, and Singapore is doing very well.

I thought you were Mr. Democracy? :rolleyes: Singapore's government system creates a firmer grip on the people than Communism does.

No it means the economy can grow because the economy does not have a debt burden placed on it, like Argentina.

Well, it seems like Nepal hasn't really ever had a big debt and their economy is still pretty sluggish...

Originally posted by conkermaniac

Probably, but definitely to a lesser extent.

Really? The only reason why the US is less corrupt is because the government is smaller.

I thought you were Mr. Democracy? :rolleyes: Singapore's government system creates a firmer grip on the people than Communism does.

Why don't you look at the people I support for a change? Le Pen, Franco, Gianfranco (called Mussolini a great statesman), Berlusconi? Singapore also has a low crime rate.

Well, it seems like Nepal hasn't really ever had a big debt and their economy is still pretty sluggish...

Well modest growth like +3 - +4% what they were having until 1998 would be better than no or negative growth.

I'm going to add my 2 cents in on this topic...

IMO Giancarlo is right that new peace treaties should be made with these rebels. I really have to laugh at that one. Thats like saying why doesn't the United States gov't make a peace treaty with bin Laden and the Tailban.

I agree with anhedonia's view on bullfighting. However I can some what tolerate it because they do eat the bull after words.
I don't want to have drawn out discussion so I'm going to leave it at that.

:D

Haven't we learned anything from the Cold War? Think about the all the US failures when supporting inept/corrupt governments against communist rebels.

China the nationalists were in a cvil war against Zedong and his rebel army. The nationalists leadership was corrupt and were responsible for a heavily faltering economy. During the civil war the US spend massive amounts of money backing the nationalists.
Result? Well, the nationalists are now stuck on a little island called Taiwan and no country officially recognizes them.

Cuba in the 1950's was ruled by the also ineffective US backed Batista. Lots of peasants and lots of poverty allowed Castro to lead a quick rebellion. Now, Castro has remained in power and seen how many US presidents pass?

Vietnam the US backed government of South Vietnam was all of the things of the above: unpopular, corrupt and inept. So after hemmoraging billions what was the inevitable results; the south fell.

But think of the popular movements the US backed. Korea and Afghanistan had popular support against the communists, and the ending was a success.

The point I'm trying to make is if Nepal is in horrible shape then why are we supporting the current government? And even if we didn't have the former question then what about this $20 million? 20 million sounds like a pretty half --- gesture that won't do shit; just waste money. But, supporting a bad government itself is a half --- solution. If we are serious about helping then we should go in and make some political and economic reforms. Pour billions into improving the country. But, we aren't! So ---- it! We don't need to toss a half --- $20 million!

Originally posted by lotsofissues
Haven't we learned anything from the Cold War? Think about the all the US failures when supporting inept/corrupt governments against communist rebels.

The Nepalese government isn't what I call inept. Have the commies ever learned anything? Every government they support seems to gone down the tubes. From Ethoipia, to Angola, to Nicaragua.

China the nationalists were in a cvil war against Zedong and his rebel army.

Yeah, but...

The nationalists leadership was corrupt and were responsible for a heavily faltering economy.[/b]

Explain Taiwan. And then be quiet. Taiwan is highly advanced and it was the exact same nationalists who made that way.

During the civil war the US spend massive amounts of money backing the nationalists.

They didn't.

Result? Well, the nationalists are now stuck on a little island called Taiwan and no country officially recognizes them.

Now twenty times more rich GDP per capita wise than China. This is why the PRC will collapse in five years.

Cuba in the 1950's was ruled by the also ineffective US backed Batista.

And then they got the even more ineffective Castro.

Lots of peasants and lots of poverty allowed Castro to lead a quick rebellion. Now, Castro has remained in power and seen how many US presidents pass?

Castro also runs the poorest country in the western hemisphere before Nicaragua.

Vietnam the US backed government of South Vietnam was all of the things of the above: unpopular, corrupt and inept.

No on all counts. Again you have to look at what has happened to the communists. Nicaragua, Ethoipia, Afghanistan... I could go on for ages. You don't look at what failures communist governments are.

So after hemmoraging billions what was the inevitable results; the south fell.

No NO NO! If the US didn't pull out North Vietnam would of surrendered within a year. The fire power was much to great. Just imagine if they sent a few more Destroyers there? Hanoi would of fallen. But they didn't and that was a mistake.

But think of the popular movements the US backed. Korea and Afghanistan had popular support against the communists, and the ending was a success.

Ethiopia
Nicaragua (Communists were thrown out in 1989 I think)

The point I'm trying to make is if Nepal is in horrible shape then why are we supporting the current government?

Nepal was experiencing GDP growth of between +3 - +4% between 1991 - 1997.

And even if we didn't have the former question then what about this $20 million?

Well.... read the next...

[qutoe] 20 million sounds like a pretty half --- gesture that won't do shit; just waste money.[/quote]

NO NO! The Nepalese Army budget stands at a $30 Million. Therefore $20 Million would provide a massive boost. BTW, The Ghurkas in Nepalese Service are poorly paid, if they increase pay, they can become the same Ghurkas that serve in British Service.

But, supporting a bad government itself is a half --- solution.

There was +3 - +4% economic growth before 1997.

If we are serious about helping then we should go in and make some political and economic reforms.

Nepal has privatized much of its industries and liberalized many things. In 1990 I think, elections took place. The consititution I think is up for another change that may give the Prime Minister more power.

Pour billions into improving the country. But, we aren't! So ---- it! We don't need to toss a half --- $20 million!

That would effectively double Nepal's military budget. Next time learn about the facts before arguing.

From 1946 to 1949 the US gave $2 billion in aid to the nationalists!

The boom years for Taiwan certainly wasn't immediately after the flight. And that subject is digressive. My point is about the situation in China during 1946-1949 the nationalists were ineffective and this caused the ppl to look for other sources. My argument doesn't extend towards defending the economic policies of Castro or Zedong. So don't digress.

As I've said Afghanistan was successfull because there was popular support against communists.

Vietnam- They already suffered millions in deaths and we already suffered thousands. I doubt we could maintain our losses longer then the North Vietmanese. Even if Nixon stayed how are you so sure that it wouldn't be the US to first bolt out because of losses? No one can be certain.

In Nic. the communist Sadinistas overthrew Somoza. Only in 1990 were free elections held.

3%! In one of the more underdeveloped nations of the world! Truth is that means nothing when 50% of the ppl live under the line of poverty.

Looking into the subject of millitary budget. The library of congress reports that in 1989 the millitary budget was 33 million.
Rebel activity began in 1996. I wonder if they dropped a couple of more cents in the bucket when a war started? Think of the billions it cost the Russians just to fight the chechyens for a couple of years!

Of course there is ALWAYS a reason for ppl to look towards communism as an alternative, and its because there current one is failing. The Nepals might have made reforms, but if you search any human rights site you will find a different story.
Hundreds of journalists and human rights activits are being abducted by the police and army. Civilians are being abducted, shot, and tortured because they are called "suspected" maoists.

Originally posted by lotsofissues
From 1946 to 1949 the US gave $2 billion in aid to the nationalists!

Explain why the Taiwanese Army was built up so fast?

The boom years for Taiwan certainly wasn't immediately after the flight.

10 years after to be exact.

And that subject is digressive. My point is about the situation in China during 1946-1949 the nationalists were ineffective and this caused the ppl to look for other sources.

That is an abritrary and incorrect statement.

My argument doesn't extend towards defending the economic policies of Castro or Zedong. So don't digress.

You are incorrect though about the issues at stake here.

As I've said Afghanistan was successfull because there was popular support against communists.

Not to mention Nicaragua too... and in El Salvador the US made the junta carry out elections electing Duarte in the 1980s.

Vietnam- They already suffered millions in deaths and we already suffered thousands.

And who brought along that war? The communists did. I would also blame the French.

I doubt we could maintain our losses longer then the North Vietmanese.

You are wrong. The North Vietnamese lost 1.5 million civilians and military men (yes, losing civilians is sad, but having Vietcong and North Vietnamese soliders using human shields is sadder.

I don't appreciate your biased answers..., my uncle served in Vietnam... got many medals.

Even if Nixon stayed how are you so sure that it wouldn't be the US to first bolt out because of losses?

What do you mean?

In Nic. the communist Sadinistas overthrew Somoza. Only in 1990 were free elections held.

Yes, but let me tell you something: The Sandinistas caused massive hyper inflation, and screwed up the country.

Let me name another country, Cambodia. Infact the US supported Vietnam itself in throwing out Pol Pot. That was odd. Vietnam has turned more democratic lately and has allowed a lot of free market. But now elections should take place. Same goes for Burma.

3%! In one of the more underdeveloped nations of the world! Truth is that means nothing when 50% of the ppl live under the line of poverty.

You don't know what you are talking about. +3% is better than zero or negative economic growth which would be under an alternative government.

Looking into the subject of millitary budget. The library of congress reports that in 1989 the millitary budget was 33 million.
Rebel activity began in 1996. I wonder if they dropped a couple of more cents in the bucket when a war started?

The Military budget in 1997 was $27 Million because the Kingdom thought the Maoists were poorly armed. That number will be up to $47 Million.

Think of the billions it cost the Russians just to fight the chechyens for a couple of years!

That isn't a issue here. You really should look at the facts.

Of course there is ALWAYS a reason for ppl to look towards communism as an alternative, and its because there current one is failing.

No, no, NO! You want to see the facts? The Maoists aren't supported like the FARC and ELN. They aren't supported by the population. Period.

The Nepals might have made reforms, but if you search any human rights site you will find a different story.

So everybody must reach your ignorant US status? Unfornately some countries can't because of the mentality.

Hundreds of journalists and human rights activits are being abducted by the police and army.

Evidence? Or more cheap leftists lies?

Civilians are being abducted, shot, and tortured because they are called "suspected" maoists.

Wrong. Those are more made up claims.

Look, I presented my ideas and you have presented your's. I support the current government because they are the best Nepal can have. I will have to get to responding to these arbitrary claims tomorrow because I need some sleep.

Last edited:
I have heard someone here argue that saying peaceful tactics should be attempted in Nepal is like asking for peace talks with bin Laden. Do you think I have set myself a double-standard and made myself a hypocrite? I do not support the way the US government has handled the situation in Afghanistan any more than I would have supported Vietnam, Desert Storm, Kosovo, and however many others there have been.
There's a quote in Grapes of Wrath that I find quite suiting; it says something about the money being continually spent to stop revolt, while the causes of revolt went on. It's not that I want rebellion to be allowed, I want it to be unnecessary. To get rid of a weed for good, you must pull it out by the root - not simply cut the stem.

There was +3 - +4% economic growth before 1997.
In case you hadn't noticed, 1997 was five years ago. Giancarlo, you were only 12 then. It is a long time to still be bragging about growth, especially for economies.

What other solution is there? Let the rebels take control? Get involved in one of those bogus peace talks?
"Bogus peace talks"? Please, Giancarlo, you really make yourself out to be opposed to peace. You said you hate war. If you truly hate war, you will not demand that I tell you what other options there are; you will try to find some yourself. Simply believing in peace does not give me all the answers. I have questions, too.

No. The Nepalese Army must, like the Angolan Army overcome the rebels. Angola has experienced a lot of death and misery, but that is finally nearing an end.
Does the end of new death and misery bring any comfort to those who have already lost their families, their homes, their lives?

Okay, I will make my final statement now:

Sure there are better governments in this world. Nepal isn't one of them. Nepal is a very poor country. Peace is the only option and that peace won't be met until the current government is respected. Some talk about poor people when they don't have an solid economic plan, the communists we might call them. A solid economic plan is needed for Nepal. In Taiwan for example in 1950 the average person made $250 annually. Today they make up to $20,000 annually and the average GDP growth rate was +6.3%. I usually follow two economic models: The Chilean Model and the Taiwanese Model. The Chilean Model is where the government takes a iron-fist to law, and pushes through a powerful and solid economic program. That is one option. The other is the Taiwanese option where the government builds its economy virtually from scratch into a powerhouse. Is there another option? Sure. The commie option where the people suffer hyper stagflation and a poor economy. Many suffer low incomes in commie societies. Sure you can see that the capitalistic way is the best way, and now in Nepal, the only way that road could be taken is by military force. The Army must be beefed up and incinerate every last maoist and the economy must build itself up with a solid plan. But the question is Does Nepal have a plan like this?

BTW, this is it for my posting in this thread. Please feel free to discuss this more... I may make a few more comments but I will wait and see what people say. I am proposing a rock solid economic and military plan for Nepal that should be followed.

Last edited:
You want them to burn, Giancarlo? You want them to burn, to have flames licking at their skin, searing them to the death. Do you understand what that means, Giancarlo? I hope not. I hope not.

Perhaps they do deserve death, perhaps they don't. But as a wise author once wrote,
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment."

Originally posted by byrdgirl13
You want them to burn, Giancarlo? You want them to burn, to have flames licking at their skin, searing them to the death. Do you understand what that means, Giancarlo? I hope not. I hope not.

They should take the bullet because they ----ed (pardon my french) up the country more than it was. It was evil and cold hearted.

Perhaps they do deserve death, perhaps they don't. But as a wise author once wrote,
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment."

Arbitrary!

BTW, this is it for my posting in this thread. Please feel free to discuss this more... I may make a few more comments but I will wait and see what people say. I am proposing a rock solid economic and military plan for Nepal that should be followed.
Huh, do you have some kind of official function at these boards?

Why don't you talk about all this with your father? That is what you want to do, isn't it? As it's his approval you are so desperate to get. Hate to disappoint you, but I don't think he reads these boards so maybe you should find another way to get his attention.

Originally posted by meow

Huh, do you have some kind of official function at these boards?

Why don't you talk about all this with your father? That is what you want to do, isn't it? As it's his approval you are so desperate to get. Hate to disappoint you, but I don't think he reads these boards so maybe you should find another way to get his attention.

Oh no it is meow to trash another thread. Get the ---- out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back