• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

This thread is me asking a question to Per Olof Sandholm

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
...hypothetically speaking, if one from North America were to visit your fine country (kind of like I will be in July), how hard is it going to be for him if he doesn't speak Swedish? Can I get by going around speaking in English?

I've been trying to learn, and I've been studying speaking Swedish, but I'm REALLY bad at it.

No problem, I'll teach you some useful swedish phrases... :evilb:

Almost everybody in Sweden will understand english. Some don't speak too much english. Swedes speak english either in a funny swenglish accent or a perfect british accent. Even 7 year old kids here speak amazingly good english.

As long as I can order a beer in Swedish, I'm happy. I want to learn how to say that in at least 24 languages.

Apologies for the profanity.

No problem, I'll teach you some useful swedish phrases... :evilb:

Almost everybody in Sweden will understand english. Some don't speak too much english. Swedes speak english either in a funny swenglish accent or a perfect british accent. Even 7 year old kids here speak amazingly good english.

Oh GOD how I LOVE the funny Swenglish accent!

I van tu speeeek tu da managa.

You want to get him in trouble? :lol:

Oh, I would never do that. :angel:

To order a beer, just say "en stor stark, tack!" (pronounced something like "An store stark, Tuck!"). It's a standard beer in a glass of about 30-45 cl. If you want a beer in a bottle instead, that's "en flasköl" (pronounced something like "an flusc ehl"). If you want a special swedish beer I'd recommend you order "en lättöl" (pronounced something like "an let ehl").

Is there a country that still doesn’t have English?
Go a head man, I’m sure you’re gonna find English speakers every where :)

Swedes speak english either in a funny swenglish accent or a perfect british accent.

You reminded me of one scene in Friends, where Phoebe is making a massage to Rachael and she pretended that she’s Swedish.

so she started talking in English-Swedish accent, breaking up many letters, and when she was asked about her name she said (Ikea) loooooooooool :lol:

Oh, I would never do that. :angel:

To order a beer, just say "en stor stark, tack!" (pronounced something like "An store stark, Tuck!"). It's a standard beer in a glass of about 30-45 cl. If you want a beer in a bottle instead, that's "en flasköl" (pronounced something like "an flusc ehl"). If you want a special swedish beer I'd recommend you order "en lättöl" (pronounced something like "an let ehl").

I am terrified to say any of that. although en flaskol sounds pretty legit. you win this round Peo.

abboodeh, I think it's kind of ignorant to go to a counry where English is not the first language and demand that everyone speak English to me. The irony is that's what's going to happen, because I am failing so hard at learning this language

no beleive me there's no ignorance in that. English is more common every where, it's business language, beleive me if this dude can't speak English, someone else beside him speaks English.

it's that some people don't know grammer, or make many spelling mistakes but they can deliver what's on their minds and communicate with ya!

what i'm trying to say that:
don't worry, you'll always find people speaking English :)

I'm not worried about that. But like, if you're going to a different country and you're looking to soak in some of the culture, why WOULDN'T you try and learn the language? It's a big part of it.

I agree with BV - its a big failing of english speakers to underestimate that. Also you are a guest in their country, you want the people there on side, and they always appreciate it if you at least make an attempt to speak their language.

Learning some phrases and learning the language, just for a holiday seems a bit farfetched. I see where you are comming from though, when I went on holiday I learnt a fair bit of the language to get myself around, but it was uneeded due to the areas I was staying. The kind of holiday you are having though does require more than basic phrases I guess, it's not like it will be a holiday resort where staff HAVE to know English to a certain level.

If you were living there for a few months, then I'd agree learning the language would be ideal. If the locals know English or not.

When I get the money to visit Russia, I want to at least be fluent enough in Russian to have conversations etc. Makes it more enjoyable I think.

Learning some phrases and learning the language, just for a holiday seems a bit farfetched. I see where you are comming from though, when I went on holiday I learnt a fair bit of the language to get myself around, but it was uneeded due to the areas I was staying. The kind of holiday you are having though does require more than basic phrases I guess, it's not like it will be a holiday resort where staff HAVE to know English to a certain level.

If you were living there for a few months, then I'd agree learning the language would be ideal. If the locals know English or not.

When I get the money to visit Russia, I want to at least be fluent enough in Russian to have conversations etc. Makes it more enjoyable I think.

I'm going to be there for roughly a month, so I think that's long enough to justify learning a little bit. I need to learn how to say "No no no no..please, I'm not American"

I'm going to be there for roughly a month, so I think that's long enough to justify learning a little bit. I need to learn how to say "No no no no..please, I'm not American"

And don't forget the old favourite ' ... don't worry, my friend is paying.' :p

Back