• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Things I dont understand

Sain Cai

Beautiful Daddy
NLC
1. Why do freewebhosts that provide a failed service, open another one and post under their same forum name? I would think if you provided a horrible service, you would want to have a namechange to start fresh.

2. Why do people who get free hosting, then threaten a host with legal action for alleged spamming? They wont pay 50$ for hosting, but will shell out 2K+ for a lawyer?

3. Why do posters DEMAND ridiculous amounts of space/transfer, then use 1/100th of it. Get a clue people.

I am sure there are more, but need to wake up first

1. Why do freewebhosts that provide a failed service, open another one and post under their same forum name? I would think if you provided a horrible service, you would want to have a namechange to start fresh.

2. Why do people who get free hosting, then threaten a host with legal action for alleged spamming? They wont pay 50$ for hosting, but will shell out 2K+ for a lawyer?

3. Why do posters DEMAND ridiculous amounts of space/transfer, then use 1/100th of it. Get a clue people.

1/100th? Heck 1/10000th is already more than what they use -_- I'm totally with you.

Some of the people who post different offer posts under the same name are "salesmen" or marketers who are hired to advertise.

That's the one I've already dealt with.
the 3rd one is just a secure thing, I'm sure if you say "We will offer you more space/bandwidth if you run out of your current allowance" then most wont request it.

the 3rd one is just a secure thing, I'm sure if you say "We will offer you more space/bandwidth if you run out of your current allowance" then most wont request it.

How did you deal with it? I'm interested in learning this kinda stuff...

If your referring to me, thats just mean >.>
Glacier Host's domain is expiring. I've had Cross Industries domain registered for two years, and I decided to use it.

People want everything for nothing. They also do not understand that free hosting is not a provider-customer relationship. Hence I avoid using the word customer or clients with the free service.

People want everything for nothing. They also do not understand that free hosting is not a provider-customer relationship. Hence I avoid using the word customer or clients with the free service.

Thanks for the tip :D

2. empty threats, I'd place money on none of them following through - but they do have the right to be pissed off - particularly when said host promised no adverts on signup.

3. people always over-estimate their sites popularity, it's probably a physiological thing - what's tragic is this has led to the culture of rampant overselling we can observe.

People are always looking for a bargain. If they can get 1000GB for $10 at web host A but only get 1GB for $10 at web host B who do you think that they would pick?

I'll let you guys do the math.

People are always looking for a bargain. If they can get 1000GB for $10 at web host A but only get 1GB for $10 at web host B who do you think that they would pick?

I'll let you guys do the math.

Oh yeah? And just what are you gonna do when 10 people use 1000GB of bandwidth or space? Your server ain't gonna serve that much resources. And anyway, we're discussing FREE HOSTING, not PAID.

Actually it was your thread that prompted #2, and basically the thread. I got such a kick out of it.

If your referring to me, thats just mean >.>
Glacier Host's domain is expiring. I've had Cross Industries domain registered for two years, and I decided to use it.

No it isnt you. I had an account with another host, well many to be exact, that up and disappear overnight, then pop back. Some have good reasons why they leave, others never give one.

Alot of the newer free hosts are hosted on free or very cheap reseller accounts. Often they stop/pause just because the parent company folded or messed up!

Well some people need it, which is good for me so that I haven't a need to oversell.
Actually someone came up to me requesting a VPS with 500 gb transfer/month. And he would have used it. It was a gaming forum sponsored by UbiSoft, the creators of Assasin's Creed. :)
No joke!

Funny thing sounds like my old startup.
Got a network of servers equaling 4 tb of storage now...a long way from the old free hosting I had! :)
@Oh just found out the quick reply button doesnt quote! lol I was talking to fnixws

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people are so cheap with $5 or $10 a month, then go out and drive to fast food and shell out $10-15 and $5 in gas to feed their family when they could have eaten at home.

It just logically doesn't make sense, that's why most free hosts die, it's because people expect the world for free.

I'm not sure why people are so cheap with $5 or $10 a month, then go out and drive to fast food and shell out $10-15 and $5 in gas to feed their family when they could have eaten at home.

It just logically doesn't make sense, that's why most free hosts die, it's because people expect the world for free.

Feeding yourself/family is way, way different to hosting a site for free.

That's not what I was eluding to. I'm saying people complain and fret over $5 to host their website. It's $5 per month, less then 17 cents per day. Surprisingly, their website is so important they put their valuable free time looking for ways to get a free web host on forums, post requests, post on a daily basis on forums, etc. Just pay the $5!

How do the people like yourself feed your own family? I know the simple answer is advertising revenue, but that is very iffy. I've been there, making enough to live on through Yahoo Publisher and it one day was taken from me. What then? You unfortunately cannot pay McDonalds in post counts for a burger.

I am saying with the fast food is that generally fast food is way overpriced and not worth it. The last time I went to wendy's I paid close to $3 for one single burger, and I never went there again for food.

IT IS ONLY $5-10! :(

Here is my assessment:

1. Folks don't realize how much attention other forum members (and lurkers) pay to what they do and what companies they work for/with. Whether you even realize it or not, you keep a mental record of associations such as what person works with what company. However, when you're on the other end of this (the service provider), you probably decide to "wing it" and got he easiest route possible, because you believe nobody will connect that it's the same person behind the service. Of course, perhaps this explains the failure in the first place?? :p

(I am using you generally, this isn't directed at you Sain Cai!)

2. That's all these are - threats. And there is no "meat" behind them. Most folks making threats like these are children who haven't yet reached age of majority. So, they can't really sue because any "contract" with a host isn't valid anyway. Additionally, how can a 15-year-old file a lawsuit without his or her parents' knowledge? And what parent would file a lawsuit on behalf of their minor child in relation to a simple email (Ok, there are probably these people out there...)? It's just a way for bored kids to express anger and rage and the very poor job their parents did raising them. :)

3. Because overselling hosts have led folks to believe they need much more space and bandwidth than they know. Let's face it: few Web hosting consumers know what's what when it comes to Web hosting. Bigger looks better, so that's what they ask for. Many also have unqualified dreams of instant success and major Diggs, Stumbles, and the like - which of course hardly ever materialize. Besides, if you're planning to be so huge so fast, wouldn't it make more sense to go with a more reliable, paid hosting service?

Ok, so that's my take. :D

Back