• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

There goes AcidMist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkTemplar194

Well, now they make you have to have 450 unique visitors a day instead of 150. That's 3 times as much! For those people who used it, it sucks for them because they can't renew their domain anymore without that many visitors. Not that Acidmist was ever good anyway... :rolleyes:

Does that apply to existing members also? Or just for new members? I guess they weren't making enough money on the ads with the smaller limit :confused2

I don't think they would suddenly turn round and demand that amout of traffic from existing users that are getting 150 - 450 hits a day, but i'm sure those people will have to meet the new limit once the first year is up.

It's bad news for some people i guess, but some companies would have just kept signing up as many people as possibile and one day suddenly go under because of it, which would have left alot more disapointed and annoyed people.

It's still the only company that does this (i think) and it also use to be 600+ to qualify so it's still not a bad deal

I don't think they can be making a great deal from it anyway, else we would see more sites offering the same by now.

There's not a great markup on domains

I really didn't like the concept of not having full control and ownership of your domain name... besides... if you have 150-450 UNIQUES per DAY, you should get ads and buy your own. With 250/day, and even 70c/cpm. (popups) It shouldnt be more than a month.. or you can use paypopup(I think thats the name) which is 1 dollar something cpm and have it within a month.

Existing members will not be penalized. Domains will still be renewed if it's above 150. No member has ever been penalized for drop of traffic as long as their daily unique traffic is above 100.

The new requirement is there because we are no longer making as much money from advertising. For the past two months, we have only been breaking even. Another reason is that traffic tend to drop after initial signup, so this will give us some room to adjust to that.

In my opinion, this is very reasonable as we are still accepting members within the range of 280 - 450.

Loon here is correct. We have no reason to expect a sudden jump in traffic from existing members. If they fail to do so, we will end up losing more customers than we can afford.

Members who have finished a full year term with us are highly valued members. It is not common to have a website that keeps the traffic level high throughout the year. It shows that the webmaster is dedicated to the website, and will likely keep it up in the future. Very often these domains will be renewed anyway even if they a slightly below the 150 mark.

Originally posted by Loon
I don't think they would suddenly turn round and demand that amout of traffic from existing users that are getting 150 - 450 hits a day, but i'm sure those people will have to meet the new limit once the first year is up.

It's bad news for some people i guess, but some companies would have just kept signing up as many people as possibile and one day suddenly go under because of it, which would have left alot more disapointed and annoyed people.

It's still the only company that does this (i think) and it also use to be 600+ to qualify so it's still not a bad deal

Well, that IS true... but Acidmist would be good sort of at least ;) if it had .US domains too, and still only needed 150 uniques... I mean, my site is getting quite popular and it probably gets almost 100 uniques a day.. not that much I'm sure, but it's not THAT hard to get it up to 150. Now, 450?! That puts a lot of hopeful people out of the picture. :(

*hint hint* unveil.net ... :)

Mike,

Thank you for your candor. I'm troubled by your bleak picture. I think I have a better understanding now--I shouldn't even bother launching a new service if it will only mimic your model. I better think hard; reinvent the idea.

The 450+ requirement is only a temporary measure. The requirement will probably be lowered again shortly, based on how much we make this month.

.us domains are possible if the demand is high enough. However, I don't see that happening right now. If you have enough traffic and are interested, email me. I'm sure a special arrangement is possible.

Originally posted by DarkTemplar194
Well, that IS true... but Acidmist would be good sort of at least ;) if it had .US domains too, and still only needed 150 uniques... I mean, my site is getting quite popular and it probably gets almost 100 uniques a day.. not that much I'm sure, but it's not THAT hard to get it up to 150. Now, 450?! That puts a lot of hopeful people out of the picture. :(

*hint hint* unveil.net ... :)

Originally posted by acidmist_mike
The 450+ requirement is only a temporary measure. The requirement will probably be lowered again shortly, based on how much we make this month.

That is quite comforting. :D
Yea, lotsofissues, you should think the whole thing through before you make a finalized decision.
BTW, Mike, when did Acidmist first launch (month/year)?

June 2000. Many things changed since then. Didn't use to be a free domain registration service.

By the way, the minimum requirement has been readjusted to 250+ visitors / day, as promised.

Originally posted by DarkTemplar194
That is quite comforting. :D
Yea, lotsofissues, you should think the whole thing through before you make a finalized decision.
BTW, Mike, when did Acidmist first launch (month/year)?

With all due respect Mike, if you wish to participate here, do so more frequently. Bumping dead threads isn't necessary. Turn on email notification, then you can respond the same day instead of popping in once a month or three and doing a search for acidmist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back