• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The World's Problems are Solved!

weird... so you can divide by zero now? :S I couldn't quite catch what he did, time to google and do a bit more research in to this :)

It really solves nothing. It's impossible to do calculations with nullity, so he's really just defining x/0 with a fancy term.

It seems to me it's mostly used as a safeguard for important devices with computers in them more than it is a legitimate mathematical theorem.

First off all, you mean to say a number system, not a number line.

Second of all, it's not a number system at all, it's just a theorem which allows for a pronumeral which is generated when a division by zero occurs.
Like the pronumeral i is used as an imaginary number +-Square root of minus 1.
It's like a way around the problem, rather than a solution.

Third of all, this is nothing special. A few years ago, a student at our school actually invented a full on number system, where division by zero was possible by nature.

Anyway, this looks more like a people interest story rather than anything serious.

btw. If someone makes software (especially safety-critical software) which fails because of a division by zero error, that's the fault of the software developer, just because some are as stupid as microsoft doesn't mean we need some fancy pents thing which represents a division by zero.

Last edited:
why would a car system divide by 0?

Well you explain the number system the student made?

Last edited:
If there's a line of programming like $variable1/$variable2, $variable2 could be anything, including zero.

And there, one line of programming will say that the acceleration is 0.

if($time == 0){$accel=0;}

If statements exist in every programming language.

I thought it was funny. Nothing special really, just a new way to call the same thing. He didn't solve anything with that 'explanation'. Why in the world would a pacemaker divide by zero? And even if it did, an if statement would allow the machine to do what it was meant to do. At least it should.

And there, one line of programming will say that the acceleration is 0.

if($time == 0){$accel=0;}

If statements exist in every programming language.

so does the else.. So you could make a else line to kill couldn't you??

I've never heard of car that's broken because it's divided with 0? I've never heard of anything that's broken because it's divided with 0? It doesn't seem to be as much as a problem as he makes it out to be.

I've never heard of car that's broken because it's divided with 0? I've never heard of anything that's broken because it's divided with 0? It doesn't seem to be as much as a problem as he makes it out to be.

Exactly. Which is why no one is hailing him as a great master of mathematics.

Back