• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The south has finally got me.

bigperm

Doot Do Do Do
NLC
I know there are a lot of people who post here who don't live in America... but I hope that you still 'get' this region specific post.

I was born in Wisconsin and lived there for the first 11 years of my life. I moved to North Carolina and have been here for 12 years. Since I got here I have tried to abstain from the pleasures of being a southerner.

I have failed.

I now like watching NASCAR.
I now like... no crave sweet iced tea.
I can't stop saying 'ya'll' or any number of words that aren't words.
I have a farmers tan for crying out lout.
I went to Wisconsin to visist during my birthday, and make a fuss about not being able to get biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
And worst of all... in addition to being one... I now have a red neck.

Luckily all is not lost. Thanks to Ali G I maintain a few degrees of seperation between me and the next guy down here. Fingerpop and 'boo-ya-ka-sha' and my new favorite word 'innit' are everyday phrases.

All I want to be is a british wanna-be gangster.

Anybody here like Chappelle show? Around here it's like a religion. The bonus disc on the season two dvds is a celebration.

Also, I have not stopped listening to Michael Jackson since he was found innocent. I am listening to MJ right now.

He made Thriller.

bigperm out.

discuss.

Although I'm far from a southerner, I can relate on a few of those points.

I do watch NASCAR... and you can't go wrong with iced-tea once in a while.

Old MJ is good too.

I'm from Indiana... the state of transplanted southerners. I also go to a Southern Baptist church. But I'm not southern (I hope.)
I can't stand NASCAR except for the crashes. I can watch Indy and F1 for a while though.
Iced tea = ick. Tea is supposed to be hot.
I don't say y'all, but any other number of Indianaisms... innit, etc.
If I tan, it'd be a farmer's tan :p
And I think biscuits and gravy is gross, but that's because I hate gravy. Whenever we have breakfasts at church though there's always a ton of it. Ugh.

What does innit mean? In it? :confused:

//edit

Urbandictionary tells me innit stands for "isn't it". :wtf: I don't get it. :confused2

I just "ain't it". :p

I got innit from Da Ali G Movie: In Da House... it's short for 'isn't it' like you said... but in the movie Ali G says:

"I's got two words for ya: Keep it real"
"That's three words!"
"Don't be a spaniard(sp?)... it isn't a word, it's short for innit, innit."

Just keep on rollin', brother. :jump:

And NASCAR sucks. It's like the only thing southerners have a long attention span for. :confused:

Last edited:
I have lived in the south US all of my life...

I love sweet iced tea.
I hate NASCAR.
I have a farmers tan in the winter.
I don't say "Y'all".
I'm not phased by the sight of six-foot alligators in a lawn.
I love the smell of fuel-alcohol exhaust on a dirt race track.

Last edited:
Mahoro said:
I love sweet iced tea too...does that make me a southerner? :rolleyes:
Hey! Guess what, bigperm does too! Does that make him a southerner? No. I was comparing things to bigperm's post.

long time no see, bigperm. I was afraid your move to the south had handicapped your ability to read and write.

I can relate to your experience though, bigperm. I met a person who had moved up here to Canada from Tenessee. After a few weeks in her presence I was saying "y'all" "y'uns" "dang" "innit" and "useta-could" without even thinking. I even started to get an appreciation for football.

I've got a farmers tan and a red neck anyways... i'm a farmer (for the summer)

Sweet iced tea is good. Beer is better
I'll take a rodeo over Nascar any day.

there is nothing wrong with being a redneck.

Man. Biscuits and gravy sounds like a mighty fine breakfast.
I wonder if Denny's serves up anything like that.

Ben said:
Hey! Guess what, bigperm does too! Does that make him a southerner? No. I was comparing things to bigperm's post.
Uhh, I'm pretty sure Mahoro was refering to bigperm's post as well.

I can say with complete certainty that there is no IHOP on the island.

We searched for hours in 2 different cities. We ended up in burnaby before getting ihop.

Okay, so here's the plan:

You head down to the island, on your way, drive through burnaby and pick me up something at IHOP and bring it to me.

kthx.

Also, next time you're on the island try out Smitty's. It's like a not so blue collar Denny's. The closet thing to IHOP we have. =(

Last edited:
Gayowulf said:
I can relate to your experience though, bigperm. I met a person who had moved up here to Canada from Tenessee. After a few weeks in her presence I was saying "y'all" "y'uns" "dang" "innit" and "useta-could" without even thinking. I even started to get an appreciation for football.
I think the phrase I hate the most that I use without thinking is 'I am gonna learn you to _______.'

I remember my teacher in Wisconsin telling me that people down south say that... and I remember thinking 'What idiots'.

Damn.

bigperm said:
I think the phrase I hate the most that I use without thinking is 'I am gonna learn you to _______.'

I remember my teacher in Wisconsin telling me that people down south say that... and I remember thinking 'What idiots'.

Damn.
You seriously say that? Wow, I've honestly never heard anybody actually say that before.

bigperm said:

Damn.
You're totally ----ed. :p

Back