• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

the domain is free?

Mmmmm
how does that guy get the domain

i don't think he can register the domain in china:confused:

There aren't any domains available for registering in your name for free. Some companies will allow you the use of a domain for free if you agree to pay for that in some other way, such as by showing advertisements.

Some hosts will pay for the registration of a domain in your name if you purchase a certain hosting package. With offers like this, you should make sure it really will be registered in your name not theirs.

The extension has nothing to do with whether a domain is offered for use in this way, although some of the smaller countries such as Tokelau are doing so because their population is so small that there are more unused domains available.

If you want the domain to be in your name and have full control over the DNS settings etc. you still need to pay for the privalege.

It would be technically possible to give away a fully featured free domain name, but the person administrating it would have to be a billionaire and making tons of money from somewhere else to be able to afford it. This is assuming he starts another TLD, it would be near-impossible to do that with an existing TLD.

Another way to acquire "free" domains is to trade something for them. For example, if you do webpage design, database setup, graphics, or some other computer skill, you could easily trade for several domains. Keep in mind a domain is only $9 and price accordingly. :classic2:

Originally posted by Antonio
Mmmmm
how does that guy get the domain

i don't think he can register the domain in china:confused:
Why not? China isn't as communist as in Mao's time. There are people who are quite rich in China too. Don't look down on them, they have a growing economy, could have grown even more if there were no SARS outbreak.

.at is just the TLD code for Austria. The domains are not inherently free, any more than .uk, .us, .ca or any of the other country specific domains are.

Don't take my word for it, see nic.at, the registry for .at domains.

Originally posted by trenzterra
Why not? China isn't as communist as in Mao's time. There are people who are quite rich in China too. Don't look down on them, they have a growing economy, could have grown even more if there were no SARS outbreak.
i feel they can grt the domain with the help of their friends at abroad.:) yup .some people are rich to get any domain they want ,but i don't think the guy who own the domain are rich or he will not find free space all around.

Originally posted by wysardry
.at is just the TLD code for Austria. The domains are not inherently free, any more than .uk, .us, .ca or any of the other country specific domains are.

Don't take my word for it, see nic.at, the registry for .at domains.
i feel nic.at are not free.they also need to pay:cool:

Originally posted by Antonio
i feel nic.at are not free.they also need to pay:cool:
That was my point - .at domains are not free.

nic.at don't need to pay anyone else though, they are the central registry for Austrian domains. In other words, everyone else has to pay them.

Why so many people seem to think you need to be rich to register a domain I don't know. You can register a generic .com for around $10 (US) a year, if you shop around.

Even someone with just a newspaper round could afford that, surely? (Most registries also accept money orders and cheques if you don't have a credit card.)

That was my point - .at domains are not free.

nic.at don't need to pay anyone else though, they are the central registry for Austrian domains. In other words, everyone else has to pay them.

Why so many people seem to think you need to be rich to register a domain I don't know. You can register a generic .com for around $10 (US) a year, if you shop around.

Even someone with just a newspaper round could afford that, surely? (Most registries also accept money orders and cheques if you don't have a credit card.)

Less than that actually, I just transfered my domain to NameCheap, $8.88 (.net)

Originally posted by notnamed
Less than that actually, I just transfered my domain to NameCheap, $8.88 (.net)
That's why I said around $10. Some are slightly more, some slightly less. Prices are fairly fluid as there's more competition than there once was. You no longer have to pay $35 was my point.

The prices are falling as the number of readable, short names available decreases.

i will buy a domain in few days. but i can't register the domain in other country. and can't pay the domain in china.if i can register .

Not all countries require that you are resident there to register a domain with their extension.

.tk domains are an obvious example, as there are very few residents on that island.

Standard generic .com domains can be registered by people in any country as far as I am aware.

If you're resident in China, why can't you get a Chinese domain?

Not all countries require that you are resident there to register a domain with their extension.

.tk domains are an obvious example, as there are very few residents on that island.

Standard generic .com domains can be registered by people in any country as far as I am aware.

If you're resident in China, why can't you get a Chinese domain?
yup
i will get a chinese domain,but compare to the domain at abroad ,the domain here is a little expensive ,it will cost £¤150= $18.75

Back