• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Best.

xzx

b&
b&
I have no experience and i need to know where i can learn all about this stuff. I am going to buying a deticated server, I and have no clue to what is the best. Is Linux the best? Does the system come with preinstalled stuff, or do i have to do that myself? I will need every feature that is availble.

Ex: PHP, PERL, CGI, PYTHON, SSI, MYSQL...

I need to learn what or how to install these things if are not already supported.

Thanks.

The server that i will get will be

60gb
400 gb bandwidth
512 mb ram
Some proccessor above 1GHZ

I am considering:

http://rackshack.net/
http://serverbeach.com/

since they seem to have the best prices.

Also, What do i need to know to manage my own server, since i believe that these are UNMANAGED.

Thanks...

I would love to have Cpanel, except to rich for my blood. I may have to go with plesk or ensim. I would rather have plesk.

Is red hat linux and linux the same thing? How do they differ?

Last edited:
Python , perl , php and ssi and mysql are all preinstalled with ensim

Red hat linux is a flavour of Linux

The system will probably come with several applications preinstalled as ports or packages, that, if you wish, you can compile and run.

To manage every aspect of your server you would probably want to take a unix admin or networking course. You can manage fine without that though- Read tutorials, maybe get a book, and talk to people at forums like this who know their stuff.

I'd also recommend eservers. Been talking to them as about a second server and their response times are crazy. Ask anything and you'll get a full and curteuous answer within 5 minutes, and this was at like 10 PM US time.

P.S. Rackshack support is awfull and serverbeach is new on the scene and will charge $15 for each hard reboot, which is kinda weird.

Well, since i know most of thoes languages, I suggest that you get Unix. ASP can work on unix if you have apache asp support and vise versa to PHP and Windows. I like Unix/Linux because they support a lot of scripts that Windows dosnt. Deffantly use one of the following control panels:
  1. Ensim
  2. Plesk
  3. Cobalt RaQ 5 CP
    [/list=1]

Ensim has controlpanels for ADMIN, Reseller, Site Admin, and User Admin! Plesk has control panles for Admin, Client. Cobalt has control panels for Admin, Client. Cobalt is listed 3rd because you cant create databases (mysql) in it.. :bandit2: Plesk gets annoying, ensim has trouble sometimes. DEFFANTLY DONT GO WITH CPANEL! :cool2:

[Off topic]

Robert, your NLC!

[/off topic]

Cpanel is definately better than plesk and ensim.

Originally posted by MN-Robert

But worth the money Carl

That depends what you need the server for Robert :rolleyes:

If like me .. you are not a web host .. and just need it for admining the server easy .. Ensim would be ok :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cdudeuk18

That depends what you need the server for Robert :rolleyes:

If like me .. you are not a web host .. and just need it for admining the server easy .. Ensim would be ok :rolleyes:

That's true, I have found 98% of people that were on our rackshack servers like cpanel over plesk/ensim. However their's a small minority that prefer plesk.

Originally posted by MN-Robert

That's true, I have found 98% of people that were on our rackshack servers like cpanel over plesk/ensim. However their's a small minority that prefer plesk.

Ensim does my nut .. but it would be good enough for me ... it would drive me insane but money talks louder :rolleyes:

Plesk has a nice reseller interface .. easy to manage accounts .. but i'm told it has some big bugs with apache :confused:

Back