• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The #1 Free Host?

DJHK

Since no one has mentioned this host on the forums, i'll give you the information...

Neopages.Net
Features
Domain or subdomain (http://*.neopages.net) hosting
50 Megabyes (upgradable upon request)
CGI (Perl) Support (with CGI Wrap already enabled)
PHP 4.0 Support
Chilisoft ASP Support
mySQL database (request only)
3 POP/FTP Accounts
E-Mail forwarding
True FTP Account
Site Admin Control Panel
Unmetered Bandwidth
Great support in our support forums!

Freewebspace.Net Info/Reviews @ http://www.freewebspace.net/php/view.php?id=813

Originally posted by roly
since when can unlimited bandwidth exist:confused:
roly, if you read their site correctly they say they offer unmetered bandwidth. This means that they don't monitor it but at the same time its not unlimited. Was that hard? :rolleyes:

Oh NO!!!!!!! Not again, unmetered & unlimited discourses!!!!!! There is nothing like unlimited! And there is nothing like unmetered!!! Why they don't meter what we use? Do they get it for free? Don't think so!!! Anyway when something is unmetered at the end turns to be unlimited!!!!! And unlimited is not possible!!!

What do you mean how long will they last? The service has been around since summer 2001.

If you had taken the time to actually look at the site and how we accept people. It's via an application, and neopages.net is not supposed to make money, it's more of a gathering of web designers/developers.

cheatpark, unmetered BANDWIDTH can't exist...unmetered TRANSFER is possible though.

DJHK, FYI (if you're interested anyway), Neopages.net has been mentioned on these forums before.

And I doubt they can last...Why would anyone just give up their money for nothing in return? :confused:

sorry...forgot forum policy and about search functions (just typed neopages and not neopages.net). Just haven't seen it on any recent topics.

anyway, from a post from cale (owner of neopages.net)...
Originally posted by cale
I plan on staying on forever....

NeoPages.net itself doesn't make money, but the servers are part of a larger content network which does make money. So overall I do end up making money. The space that is taken up by these sites (50 megs per site) is almost nothing in the grand scheme of my network (i have sites taking up gigs), so for me, it isn't *that* big of a hit on my checkbook.

NeoPages.net is more of a charitable thing that I do in my spare time. The network has been active for more than 4 months now (I know nothing compared to some of these other ones).

As long as the sites on the network are of good quality and nobody abuses the servers, I plan on being around forever.

Thanks for that message! However, I don't think I quite agree with him that 50 MB and "unlimited bandwidth" is nothing. I mean, I wouldn't do this for charity. ;)

Well... this is strange....

This is a very strange thing... Come on, I wouldn't spare my time with a project that returns NOTHING to me....... charity? I don't believe it.... I believe this is a strategy, but a too risky strategy.

Anyways, we can't complain about it. Free hosting is risky by definition. Except for the big ones (geocities, tripod, etc), the other will always have the threat to close, coz they have more costs than incomes. It's very difficult to admin a free hosting (and anything that's free)

For example: here in Brazil we had in the past about 30 ISPs that offered free Internet access. Now, they are all closed (in reality, only 3 survived and 2 of them are almost broken).

So... it's a terrible competition. Only 3 or 4 will survive, and the others.... will go down....

whois info on domain

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Registrant:
NeoPages.com
104 Westchester Place
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US

Domain Name: NEOPAGES.NET

Administrative Contact:
Kim, Roy honging@email.unc.edu
104 Westchester Place
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US
919-402-0575

Technical Contact:
104 Westchester Place
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US
919-402-0575

Billing Contact:
104 Westchester Place
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
US
919-402-0575

Record last updated on 06-Mar-2002.
Record expires on 17-Jul-2002.
Record Created on 17-Jul-2000.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.RACKSHACK.NET 207.218.223.132
NS2.RACKSHACK.NET 207.218.223.162

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuff said ... rackshack server :classic2:

How does NeoPages.net make money?
We don't.
At least you know they're real truthful. :D

Unmetered transfer is definitely possible. It's still limited, but at least it's not being monitored. Which, for some people, is basically the same as unlimited.

Originally posted by byrdgirl13
how can they last? :rolleyes:
only 1 site is accepted for each week (total of 4 new sites per month)
Well... you can guess that they won't die due to abusers......

It appears to me that this company doesn't make money off the free hosting, just like they said. Instead, they have other sources of income... check out neopages.com if you're interested.

Maybe this host has possibilities, for the more serious free host seekers.

Originally posted by LeX
Unmetered transfer is definitely possible. It's still limited, but at least it's not being monitored. Which, for some people, is basically the same as unlimited.

They could also state an insanely high transfer limit like 9cy does. I know I could never transfer 1 tb of data in one month, so to me that would be the same as unlimited, since to me, unlimited means "more than one could ever use."

And have you ever thought about heavily accessed sites? Like legal shareware sites that people have who can't afford to pay? How do hosts pay for unmetered bandwidth? They can't, that is why it is a bad idea. But hey if it is free you got nothing to lose.

Back