• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

tera-byte problem

its you that enjoy this calculation, but it ain't proving a thing.
Although index.php3 is 7,184KB in size it has a few include("") and require("") in it (footer, header, news file, poll script, etc). Also a few images loaded as well.
So when loaded it ends up in ~ 50KB. (index file)
Most of the pages are in 30KB - 40KB range.

So your calculation is blown through the roof unless the requests are made internally. Actuall usage would be a lot higher.

I'm not sure whats messed up with your logs or routers but as i stated above - my site is getting moderate traffic, which hasn't changed since last Dec this Jan period and actually were declining.

uniques.png

pageviews.png

Of course webtrends is not 100% accurate, but its good enough technology. If you interested i could provide more graphs and stats from webtrends. I'll try to analyze my log file if steve will be kind enough and compresses it for me. (i know its in gigs range uncompressed)

Is webtrends that inaccurate that would miss on such a load or could be some sort of error in your logs that you've been fixing this evening?

Last edited:
not a chance

there are no logs as i said they were not working hence there were not
created since july they are now being created again

Steve
this is from steve's email. There are no way to check my logs on my providers, because logging wasn't working during august - september. Sow how i should believe you - just because you have blue eyes and nice ...
According to webtrends statistics there were no traffic increase, but according to you my traffic was 3.5 times the regular traffic. At the same time you saying that there were some problems with logging (of course router logging (for billing) was working "fine" there can't be any mistake). You just expect me to trust you?

I'm gonne follow up with my decission how to handle this.

niekas, steve explained how bandwith usage is calculated:
you got an ip and everything that goes through the router (hopfully cisco-as former investor) to your ip is taken to calculate your usage...

and to steves callculation:
he did just calculate for index.php, but didn't take a look to includes... so your traffic was not really that high...

perhaps you could gzip or tar your log via a secure telnet session.

try to optimize your web-pages to cut down traffic... and i really don't think a virus attacks are gonna happen every month...
hopefully nt-webmasters have learned something!!!

Last edited:
hmm why you think i do not understand what he posted and you keep explaining elementary things. You missing whole point. I never complained about their methods of bandwidth calculation. I'm not on NT host. His calculation is off the wall. and my pages are optimized and my biggest page is probably 1/2 of the size of your index page (usually 1/3 or 1/4 )... Did you read the post that logs are missing since logging wasn't working since July?
I'm sorry akersche, but you ain't being helpfull, but rather siding in your comments...

Re: not a chance

Originally posted by niekas
You just expect me to trust you?

I'm gonne follow up with my decission how to handle this.

Niekas, if you don't trust your provider, then you need to find a new host. You've had the situation explained to you by the CEO of the company and if this isn't good enough, or you don't believe it, then I think you should just find another host, and not feel bad about it, nor flame them, just move to where you are comfortable. That's the best advice I can give you.

totally correct chicken about moving somewhere else.

You have any idea why i'm doing this in public?
and why i'm "flaming" them here?

Because tera-byte seems to take advantage of the circumstances.
Its for prospective customers like you. So they get seconds thoughts about this host.

They did nothing yet to resolve this issue.
How you think i should believe that my site was using so much bandwidth - they say logs weren't working (for some reason) only during attack period.

I could be sympathetic to Steve too - i know he "wasn't a perfect man" :p . He used to be helpfull and full of customer support enthusiasm. But i wonder how would you feel if someone charged you 190$ for the services that they said provided, but without any proof.

Last edited:
sorry my post wasn't helpful...

i ain't got lot's of hits, so it doesn't matter, how large my files are... (for bandwith and for loading... it's mostly for friends or people on dsl, cable, or faster lines)

and finding a perfect web-host is really tricky.
sucks that your logs are missing...

and moving is a wise decission, if you don't feel comfortable with tera-byte...
and please let me know, which host you choose to let your site be hosted at... and perhaps even what your objective(s) for a host are...

i think nobody else knows better than chicken, how long i did research and think before i did chosse a web-host.
i got alerted and was thinking of moving, already too
(no subdomains, now i have to fear that my unimaginable bandwith limit could be fully used and even more... so i have to pay; raq and hosting @tera-byte is not very flexible...)

But still there are good things. Great uptime!!! Fast support.
Steve is great and he cares and not just in forums (like at other hosts!)
Price is fair...

ps: i did not mean you, with nt-hosts...but everyone that was infected with a virus...

Found additional papers @cisco concerning code-red-worm and nimda attack:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-code-red-worm-pub.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/cuso/epso/sqfr/snam_wp.htm

Cisco offers products for increasing security:
http://www.cisco.com/go/security/

And there are firewalls for large scale:
One Firewall can handle 1.0 Gbps with the ability to handle up to 500,000 concurrent connections.
http://www.cisco.com/go/pix

don't say it's simple and couldn't couse problems with high traffic...

AND it's not just the problem @ tera-byte... but more a general one.(so if anyone think's i blame a host or isp... i blame all of them;-)

Last edited:
Originally posted by akersche
Found additional papers @cisco concerning code-red-worm and nimda attack:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-code-red-worm-pub.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/cuso/epso/sqfr/snam_wp.htm

Cisco offers products for increasing security:
http://www.cisco.com/go/security/

And there are firewalls for large scale:
One Firewall can handle 1.0 Gbps with the ability to handle up to 500,000 concurrent connections.
http://www.cisco.com/go/pix

Way to go akersche. I hope Steve (or his netadmins)adds those rules to the router (if he uses cisco).
Seems similar like configuring htaccess or httpd.conf for apache...
Should actually improve network performance by blocking junk traffic.

The problem with adding filters to routers is that it takes a tremendous amount of processing power to inspect each and every packet that goes through the router, match it against a filter, and either let it through or discard it based on that. Routers are designed to route traffic from one point to another; many routers simply don't have the processing power to inspect packets when they're already trying to route 100 Mbps or more.

If it were as simple as just adding a few lines to the router to solve the effects of the IIS worms, the backbones would have done so already before the worms even had a chance to propagate.

Last edited:
Ok I'm out of that hella-byte...
They never looked into this issue and just silently raked in cash.
I moved away from them.
I'm on dedicated server. Its my first dedicated server and i have to tell its nice to have dedicated server in comparison to shared hosting.
tera-byte used to be good host, but no more...

Ok I'm out of that hella-byte...
I moved away from them.
I'm on dedicated server. Its my first dedicated server and i have to tell its nice to have dedicated server in comparison to shared hosting.
tera-byte used to be good host, but no more...

You are quite wrong. Steve already stated (I don't recall if it was here or elsewhere) that he did look into the issue and credited the average amount of overage to everyone's account. In other words, Tera-Byte took the loss.

Also, if you moved to a dedicated server from shared hosting, that's like comparing apples to oranges.

hmm they took the loss?
why i was charged 190$ without any proof?
Do i make an impression that i don't know what i'm talking about?

Do i make an impression that i don't know what i'm talking about?

No, but your posts do lose credibility when you know that the matter has been looked into.

I find tera-byte to be an excellent host!
Yes, they do charge a sum.... but when you look at it this way... they have to pay their techs. , phone bill, eletric bill, isp bill, water bill, upgrades/anything else that may be required to provide 24/7 techinical support and 99.9% uptime.
Tera-Byte is a good service.... it just you must keep track of your own site to make sure you follow their guidlines/tos.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Robert Taylor

webpods you suprise me, if i had as many problems as you did getting set up i would slam me :) however im glad to see things are working for you now, and no more messing around with stuff ok :)

Steve

Back